• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've already contacted some other smiths. I have no plans to amass a hoard of stuff I can't use and then crouch on it till some blasted hero comes along with a sword or bow or particularly good joke and knocks me off the pile...even if they are "fun sized" hobbits!

Now I have learned that for any tool I particularly like I should have a backup; but more than that is a waste of space.

10 hours ago, Owen Hinsman said:

Nice clean forging there Mark. Is the cupping tool made by intentionally forming fish-lips and then rounding it out?

Yes. Smart man. 

Got it a bit of time, forged pair of 1/2” v bit tongs and my first ball pein, what I’d consider to be a proper ball pein, with the eye punched in the center and so equal weight faces, what I find to be the logical way of doing it, haven’t figured out the reasoning of having an un balanced head. 

6F6F5587-54B5-402A-B2B0-14D558B5F126.jpeg

95F6F44A-7585-4D01-B4A2-303AD4D6AA9E.jpeg

Nice work Mark, Love seeing your finely finished forgings. 

In the old days the belief was that a hammer should fall naturally with the most used face so the weighting was towards the most used face. 

This was believed to lessen stress and such as it was in theory the natural fall around the handle which was/is the pivot. 

I own many hammers that are face heavy.. 

There was a study done sometime back which I wish I would have kept the article though I don't know if its true or not but they found a balanced hammer is better for the body as the hammer has less of a tendency to want to twist after hitting..    

A slow motion video of a hammer strike would be a great way to see exactly what is being done.. I have a slow motion camera so it might be worth it..  

Real nice Mark. You get a lot done and done very well. That piece you're holding in the tongs looks like the handles on a collection of old branding irons I have. Only a couple things for me. Made my first horse head. Never even tried before. I don't have nose or eye punches or anything like that. Used a pin punch for the eye. Should have set it more forward of the cheek bone and he looks surprised... I'll do different on the ear from now on as well. 

20200106_230235.jpg

20200106_225902.jpg

On 1/4/2020 at 10:41 AM, Daswulf said:

Welp, it's a strange problem. It runs, idles, and revs, but when I try to drive it's dogging real bad and misfiring and pretty much dying.

I doubt you have the same issue as a friend of mine and I had when we were teenagers, but we had similar symptoms.  We checked out all the usual things, tried creative swear words to encourage it to work correctly, and nearly gave up when we finally figured it out.  A hot wire going to the distributor had the insulation rubbed through.  When out of gear with no load on the engine the wire didn't touch anything (barely), but when there was a load on the engine it moved things just enough so the wire shorted out.

I've had the clogged catalytic converter, old Mitsubishi Mighty Max,  it was running really rich and I planned to rebuild the carb; then found out they didn't offer a rebuild kit as that carb was only used 1 year.  Traded it in on a Toyota and ran it a goodly long time with a lot less hassle.

Nothing like compounding issues. I'll be getting the battery out and load tested tonight. I was running it last night to get it to running temp to test the cats with an infrared temp gun. Had charged the battery the evening before when I got it in since it was going low from sitting. Well it fired right up and was fine for a while while holding the rpm at 2000. When I let off to let it idle it stalled and then wouldn't start. Just clicking from the starter.even with the charger and volt meter on checking that there were over 12v when trying, just clicking. Frustrated I pulled the starter and got it checked today. It's fine, so without a load tester I'll go get a deffinate diagnosis on my battery and if I can get it fired up again I'll test the alternator. Ugh. Hopefully it isn't wiring issue somewhere. Grounds aren't rusty and it's a clean jeep as far as barely having any rust. 

So if I get that sorted back to checking the cats. :wacko:

Nice job CGL. And the eatery is coming out nice. 

Mark, always love seeing your work. Did you use the power hammer on any of those? That power hammer you got seems to have great control from what I've seen. 

On 1/7/2020 at 3:15 PM, Daswulf said:

So if I get that sorted back to checking the cats.

Best way is to put a bore scope in the O2 sensor  and take a look inside.  I have had 3 cars come in with running problems and O2 fault related codes and 2 were plugged and one had a melted core.  Easy to see with the bore scrope.. I bought one from HF on sale and it works perfectly for this type of thing. 

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?   Sorry if you have answered this, but I skipped most the posts about cars/trucks .

That can happen Thomas. I'll be going over the wiring to check it out. 

46 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Do those words even go together?

Well, it's never really clean, just not rusty. It came from out west before I got it and their vehicles seem to last a bit longer rust wise. I shot rust proofing in all the problem areas I could get to to help keep it nice a lil longer. 

Jennifer, I've almost bought a bore scope a couple times from the tool truck. Maybe I should.  The methods I found were 1, check the o2 readings on a scan tool. ( i have a simple one) pre cat numbers should fluctuate rapidly and after cat readings shouldnt change much and be slower to. #2 is to take a infrared thrmometer to the front of the cat while its running and warmed up. It should actually be cooler than the reading right behind the cat. 

This thing has 4 cats on a y pipe from the headers then another on the single pipe going out. Would be expensive to replace so I want to be sure that is really the issue. Still cheaper than a few car loan payments. 

Yes das, the hammer was made with the power hammer. I like it a lot. As you said it has good control. 

CrazyGoatLady, good first horse, it will change the look and make it look much cleaner if you take the corners off on the angles of the jaw. Just gives more depth to them I think. Included a picture so you can get a better idea. 

E2598898-1932-4E16-9D53-3DA86C0A7E0E.jpeg

D5D39444-15FE-47B5-BFF7-BA3C187E0014.jpeg

A car body will last pretty much forever out here; but take a car from out here and bring it to the land of salt on the roads and it will be lacework in a year or two---we get a lot of rock dings and failed paint due to UV; but my 1989 pickups had *no* rust on them at all!

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

A car body will last pretty much forever out here

Yeah, I Am jealous of that. Most all older vehicles around this area ar rotted out garbage. Out your way you can get so much more out of them. Here the struts can blow through the shock towers, frames and unibodies rot out around important areas and more. :rolleyes:

Cool Mark!

Das, 1 or maybe 3 of those will be resonators, not cats. You also do not "have" to get to operating temp. Just a couple minutes idling and you will be able to get a huge difference on the temp. However believe it or not if your alternator is not good that could, COULD, be your whole problem. You would be surprised how a weak electrical system can cuase all kinds of wierd problems. 

Ggl, Nice horse. I so wish i could get that clean on my round tapers like your spoon there. An eye punch is pretty easy to make. I just heated up piece of spring, tapered it down, then used a ball punch to make a hollow on the tip, left it kind of wide then ground it down to size. I did not make it eye shape just round becuase i use it for other things than eyes so it is just round.  

Jenifer, Is there any thing you dont do? You seem skilled and knowledged in many things. 

Little blacksmith, you are a work horse. I could not do in a month what you seem to do in a couple hours. 

Billy,  I have had many journeys in search of myself..   Most if not all involved some sort of quick knowledge gain.. I am dyslexic and when I first started reading it proved interesting, but I read mainly fantasy books.. 5, 6, 7 years old..  

I then went to OSV at 8 years old and discovered Blacksmithing..  That was the last time I read anything that was not some sort of instruction manual.. I spent the next 4 or 5 years reading and memorizing every facet I could from Practical Blacksmithing and all the other books I had purchased, or was given on blacksmithing.. Literally ever chance I got I would read them and practice drawing out blacksmithing items, hammers, tongs, gates, tools. And get forge practice in. 

So basiclly I just started reading books on how to do things, from cars to designing transmissions because SAAB's had weak transmissions, to welding and fabrication, to tig welding, to intake and exhaust gas velocity and how the waves played into designs .  Anyhow, I'm OCD and anything that I found interesting I would study up on.. 

Get a new TV or washing machine or anything mechanical and the instruction manual is the first thing I read. 

For every vehicle I own, I go and buy a factory workshop manual and read it cover to cover, and if I can I will also buy a parts book and read that cover to cover too.   I was a wannabe Rally driver so went there,  motorcycles,  2 stroke engine development and tuning,  Exhaust system designs for max VE,  I've talked with some really cool people in the Turbo charged upper crust.. Car designs because I wanted to build my own car. 

I own and 2001 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T.. I own the factory work shop manuals,  a Chiltons, A Bentley and 1 other 1..  All for the same car.. Yup read them all looking for information that might be different on how to do the same thing like change a wheel bearing. 

The list really is endless.. 

This all happened as a result of that first encounter with blacksmithing..  Originally  I had no concept of square hole, or round holes and was considered slow when I was very young.  NO concept of engineering anything..  I was happy with Barbies, stuff animals, etc. 

I was not what I would consider a bright child in conversation as my mind works quickly but my words are slow.  So had a tendency to be a loner or involved in activities where I didn't have to talk..    LOL..   So, basically action oriented..   I used to walk around singing and skipping.. Used to drive everyone crazy.   My heros were Tazan and Jane.. 

I was taught from a very early age, that if I wanted something I would have to work for it..   This made me into a saver..  Find a good deal, grab it because 30 years from now you might need it. :) 

I learned a bunch of coping mechanisms.  :)       So, yes many, many, many things I have done.. Usually it seems in about a 5 year to 7 year stretch.   The only things that have been consistent over 50 years is blacksmthing (wanting to be better) and martial arts,  and spiritual type things.  Meditation and prayer.

Cgl- why use a dremel? Why not forge it in. I have done many out of 5/8” up to 1-1/2”, the 1-1/2” done with a striker but the small stuff can be done with a rounding hammer and the horn of the anvil to forge in the curves. Here’s an exampls out of 1-1/2” round that I forged with Ethan Harty when I went up to Canada this past summer. 

67D3257E-8D29-49BA-8CED-C63849F6B62A.jpeg

CF14A325-12C9-46AC-BFAA-2028E8B2BD11.jpeg

5D5B8D7B-FF9F-4E1B-8921-955E5D2DC008.jpeg

Impressive, littleblacksmith.

19 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Some day we might just have that chance..   I was told there are some changes coming and its going to be a glorious adventure. 

You didn't say................so I won't ask.  But every day I wake up and don't see my name in the newspaper is promise of a "glorious adventure".  (it means I'm not in jail nor am I dead!) :D:lol: