I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Also finished that 20oz ball pein I forged the other day, heat treated it polished and handled, and ground polished heat treated and handled a 10-1/2lb sledge I forged a while back. I included a picture of it next to a factory made 10lb sledge, showing the stubbiness of it. 

2380A17E-CA25-4D61-8FD8-5EA3E268AD33.jpeg

EDE7F6A8-CFA8-4E3E-934C-52A36AA7A3EF.jpeg

CA593C08-4795-4635-A83D-7BE90B862C97.jpeg

• Replies 26.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Billy, after reinstalling the (tested good) starter, and (tested good) battery, it fired up and is so far still running at varying ranges of rpm. I checked the voltage and shure enough the alternator is fine. Charging at over 14v. More like 14.8 or so average. To compound my madness, it is running well enough that I want to take it for a test drive. Temp numbers on the cats are not far off as I'd have thought and I'm perplexed. I will say I'm getting some oil leakage at the front crank seal, (harmonic balancer ) that I never saw before. Good leak too. This thing is throwing me all over the place and Im about clueless when I can usually figure stuff out and fix the issue. 

Took it for a test drive on the side roads and ran great, had getup and go and was peppy. Got brave and took it on the highway. Not A Mile and back to its dogging, tho this time it just eased to it and no slam. rode to the next exit on the shoulder with the 4ways on and limped home with my tail between my legs. Ugh. I have no idea. It's posessed. 

On 1/7/2020 at 9:46 PM, littleblacksmith said:

Cgl- why use a dremel? 

I really dig the horse head. I think if I worked at it, I could do one like that. Might take a long time and a lot of practice to make one look as good as yours. Reason why I was talking about a dremel is, I thought I could forge out the shape of the head then use that like a pencil and put in fine details. Not just eyes, nose, mouth etc., but the veins and more defined bone and muscle, eyes and mane. Would probably take a month of Sunday's to do. 

Late night in the shop where everything went wrong. Either forged something too thin or was way off the mark. Or something fun like a big ole crack running down the length of the only stock you have in that size. Not one successful thing except the practice. I'll be thankful for that because it was highly frustrating. 

That 3D horse's head would make a good preform for a wolf's head too.

Das, that sounds like when I had the cat trouble: when the carbon got shaken down it ran fine but when it clogged it was a dog and soon a dead dog.   I had it parked waiting on my Christmas bonus to buy another truck and when I was shopping the dealer wanted to see my trade it---we ran home and I had my wife cleaning it out while I worked on getting it started. (Breaker bar down the carb & starting fluid); driving to the dealer it bucked and I wondered if I had thrown a rod but I saw some glowing stuff bouncing down the road and it ran until we got to the dealer's. I parked it under the light so he could see what it really was; but he wanted by the office. He got in and it started right up for him and he did the deal.  I warned him that their best mechanic would take 20 minutes to start it in the morning....

Since both heaters in my shop/office/toy box were malfunctioning, I spent a good portion of the day fiddling with stuff I'm not qualified to touch. The forge got the inside temp to almost 50° for a few minutes. I made a bottle opener out of a coil spring. Not my best effort, stress cracks, it didn't make the photo gallery. The flux spoon, on the other hand, turned out fairly well.

IMG_20200108_150530598.jpg

IMG_20200108_150537229.jpg

golfishhunt.  Love the spoon..

You would not like it here..  50f is a heat wave.. that is shorts and T shirt weather..   It's 20F right now..  In some of the "How to" videos I put in a blurb shot of the thermometer I have handing up. 

The coldest I have ever forged in the trailer it was about 15F starting.. Got up to about 20F on the warmest hardest work..  the hotest was 115F with all the doors open..  The thermometer sits at the farthest part of the trailer just over the tool rack.. I can just look up to see the temperature. 

From the outside no one can see the temperature so during the summer they are outside and will say.. You must be dieing in there it's like 90f out..  I then read the temps and it's about 4 degrees cooler in the trailer.  Of course I will pick ridiculous projects at the hottest time of the year.. 

:)

As a side note..  some coil springs cracks on the center and if they are used springs can have stress cracks at both ends from all the flexing.  You can see them when the spring is heated up. 

Das, i wish i could be more help, but you know with out actually being with the vehicle that is almost impossible. You are at the point that you will have to drive it while monitoring data and maybe a couple gauges. And pay attention to things like does it do it worse up hills, or at certain temps, speeds, RPM's etc. Any way i wish you luck and like i said if you need info on codes and diagnostics on them hit me up. I will gladly look it up for ya. 

Jennifer, you described me to a T. I am also dyslexic but when i was a kid nobody knew what that was, i was just thought of as lazy or a daydreamer or some such thing. The shrink i used to see also said i was hyperactive, which is true i always have to be doing something. So that has led me to do many things. And most everything i have done is self taught. I was also very much into fantasy when i was a kid. When i was in the Army i studied Tai-chi, not just what most people think of but practical application, quite the effective fighting style if you know how to do it.  Since i changed jobs a few years ago i have not had time to practice though. Maybe a set of forms once a week or so. Anywho thanks for the insight and know there are other smarter people in the world. B)

GFH, nice spoon.  

35 in the shop today. Forge got it a little warmer, maybe in the 40's. Suposed to be almost 60 sat., cant wait. 

Edited by BillyBones
Couple words missing

Been in the upper 60s last few days.  Then hovering around freezing at night. I've been forging starting in the late evening. By time I'm done, I don't realize how cold it is. Then I get in the house and discover my feet are frozen. I forge a lot in the summer and I've had days where it was 100° + and it felt cooler standing in the sun than it did in the shop.

We have high winds now..  13F is the prediction for tomorrow morning , but it's always 3-5F cooler here than in Worcester.. 

We have about 4" of solid ice.. I was lazy hoping the snow/ice combo would melt after last storm and it melted all right.. Into a sheet of ice everywhere. 

Fun for Martial arts practice.   But now it won't melt for awhile. 

I did get the trailer setup before the snow and ice came in. So now can at least get some forge time if not to tired after horses..