I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I find it easier to just do the extra steps and remove the parts that make the work tighter and harder when possible. A lil extra work spares hours of struggling. There are some things to where I can save time and effort by not going the extra mile, but when working on an engine, I'll just remove the obstacles and get right in there. Most of the time it saves time to spend the extra time. 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not me. My Toyota truck has a leaking heater core. I been told you have to remove the dash and steering wheel among other things to get at the heater core. I think I can do it without all that. It's a slow leak so for now I'll use it when needed and think about replacing it this spring.

Didn’t get as much done as I’d like to have, got up late and ended up not starting till after lunch. Made a couple eye punches, round punch, slot punch, and fuller, cupping tool, flat jaw tongs, and hammer tongs. Also got to finish the legs for a coffee table which I’m excited about. 

DF2795E0-A6D9-4420-8167-FA81462E2156.jpeg

37AAB995-8E44-4067-AEF1-67BC91E6C025.jpeg

CCF490C1-3DDB-49F9-967C-207F4E09F3A9.jpeg

F2E4BAA7-1A69-4C68-84A7-1FB5C88EE445.jpeg

0DB01520-4C53-4FC5-9E7F-BAFE4C2FCB73.jpeg

C8F02DE0-8A88-4560-AD4B-21397486D403.jpeg

Thank you. Today wasn’t too great of a day, things didn’t go too well, burned myself pretty good, and I also should have had another pair of hammer tongs made, but I managed to burn both of the reins after drawing them out. Just one of those days. 

1 hour ago, littleblacksmith said:

I managed to burn both of the reins after drawing them out.

I did that on the last hammer tongs I tried to make. Was having one of those days too. Then I burned a cheek on an axe that was almost finished. Tomorrow will be better right?

Love the tools Mark.

I forged the replacement axe for the last one I ruined with my dad today. A while ago a guy ordered an axe from me and three times I have made one and had something go wrong so I have had a lot of practice for this one! I will profile and *fingers crossed* finish it tomorrow. And I'm restoring a Wilton Bullet.

20200104_205156.jpg

This is my work from the last couple of weeks, when I have found time to light the fire. I have forged a couple of leaves, I have started to refine the process and get some better texturing (getting my own style! :D). Among the leaves is a little 'heart leaf' which was a Christmas gift for my sister. Also a hook that looks like talons for leather aprons, and a new twist on the bottle opener.

image2.jpeg.4b908cd786d578fda013923c50113a39.jpegimage3.jpeg.ecb27084fb1a7abe9b5dbdc4fc867960.jpegimage0.jpeg.91c242048be3310b82052c6480287449.jpegimage1.jpeg.bd76ca59b18046428baad455712a524d.jpegimage4.jpeg.84de2c84e7c1cfe55269a5d4c7a49742.jpeg

-Mark

CGL has inspired me to try some flatware. I mad a couple spoons rough but they are for my flux so function over style. This is my first attempt to make something nice, or as nice as i can. 

20200105_181748.thumb.jpg.6f531807f4dc2b168744c8d420a9bd90.jpg

Need to work on my tines a little more. All still needs some TLC from the grinder and sanding, also a little more shaping as they are all flat and need the little curves for function. Just getting tired so i called it a day. 

This was my first spoon, end got a stress crack, and the second same. 

20200105_181845.thumb.jpg.dc07d57d630f6cf2a9608eed57cbe9f1.jpg

I think it is some kind of stainless from the look and the smell when heating. Scrap 1/2" square bar i got from my neighbors old porch railing. 

Marcus, nice work. I especially like the leaf on the left in the second picture. Nice design and elegant curve. 

Billy, I'm happy I inspired you to make some cutlery. Man, you're way better at twists than I am! The tines aren't easy for me. It'll be a nice set when your done. I used some 3/8" round bar that I had lying around for mine. 

We trimmed rabbit nails and treated some for ear mites... 

My actual shop time was grinding my first set of cutlery. I don't have a belt sander or anything like that so I thought I was going to to try to do it with files and sandpaper and would take forever. But, I had a rare stroke of brilliance and thought why couldn't I use my Worksharp knife sharpener? It worked. It's all shiny now which I'm not sure I like, but got it smoothed out with still a touch of forge character. Will they darken back up when I season them? Not a great picture because they look yellow from the lighting

20200105_184619.jpg

That is actually pretty easy. The area you are working with is kind of small so it does not cool like a longer twist will. Heat it up and twist about 1" or so. Reheat then quench up to the top of the twist, put in the vice grab about 1" and twist the opposite direction. Repeat until you get what you want.

I like the yellow light. When i first saw it i thought they had been brass brushed. I think that may look good. 

Marcus, i missed your work earlier, i like the double hook.

CGL,.

I strongly suggest that you make kitchen cutlery smooth, without pits, cold shuts, scale etc.

Why?  Because micro-organisms can hide in them and escape sterilization.

For example, the lockjaw organism,  (Clostridium tetani),  can survive in minute cracks in coffee cups, even when subjected to boiling water and detergent.

Using such cups is prohibited in most places.

This subject has been discussed in several threads at i.f.i. in the past. You should be able to find it and get some good ideas.

Regards,

SLAG.

so i found what looks to be an old butchers hook (they use em to move carcasses around the freezer and what not) it may have also been a hay bale tool but the hook was more or less a straight bend rather then a rounded hook. anyway turned out to be wrought iron. heres a lil proto type i did for my fiancee to try and get approval for a new coat rack in our room

first time doing a hook like that. i like it but the next one ill do better. 

wrought hook2.jpg

On 1/4/2020 at 9:15 PM, littleblacksmith said:

Didn’t get as much done as I’d like to have, got up late and ended up not starting till after lunch. Made a couple eye punches, round punch, slot punch, and fuller, cupping tool, flat jaw tongs, and hammer tongs.

Nice clean forging there Mark. Is the cupping tool made by intentionally forming fish-lips and then rounding it out?

Only got a couple of hours in the shop this weekend; the funeral ran long on Saturday and my wife stayed long at church on Sunday.  I started making a new bracket for a large postvise.  Found my only spare piece of 1 3/8 sq stock was already welded to a swing arm fuller for one of my intermediate sized hardy holes.  Made forming around it a lot more fun.  All work done by daylight and by hand and we don't have much daylight these days! The last hole was punched off a bit as it was getting dark and I was rushing it, sigh.  It's a custom piece as the postvise is attached to a telephone pole holding up one of the roof trusses. It will work but not a piece I'd point out to one of my students.

On the plus side I was buttonholed at Church and told that there is a large mount of blacksmithing gear someone local wants to get cleared out of a building they own.. . I was told "It needs to go as there are fewer and fewer blacksmiths around and the value of it is just going down..." (I am tempted to put an emoji here!)    I hope to go see it Wednesday.  TPAAAT---after a while the stuff starts coming to you!