Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

I’m going to pretend that was on purpose.

A must have demonstration technique!

It's 73f. here but it's been bouncing between about -6f. and 8f. outside all day, sometimes changing 2-3 degrees in minutes. 

There's still flooding in Willow but they're working hard to get the ice dams cleared. Developers built a couple subdivisions on the inside of a long oxbow in Willow Creek well inside the flood channel. 

Nice day to keep the fire stoked and provide a warm lap for the dachshunds.

Frosty The Lucky.

Played with the forge for 4 hours today, and amongst some just random beating for the sake of beating hot metal and practicing hammer control, I took a stick of S40 1/2" rebar (supposedly medium carbon steel, lower grade than S60) and made a vaguely knife shape, just to see if I could. It sure isn't pretty, but it's mine!

I wire-wheeled it off, then tried to put some temper colors in. There is less straw than I was hoping for, but there is royal and purple. I finished up with some Johnson Paste Wax. 

I definitely need to keep practicing haha

20200111_180601.jpg

20200111_180611.jpg

20200111_181618.jpg

7 hours ago, 671jungle said:

(5 parts perlite+ 1 part furnace cement).

Topped with blanky scraps soaked in fumed silica. 
tomorrow I will line the top with 2” of fumed silica soaked superwool and fire the both halves. Then paint on some kasto-lite. 

5 hours ago, CtG said:

it's mine!

The grime of your hands say it’s definitely yours!

8BD0D748-DBD6-4C6E-AF96-59E760EA179A.jpeg

13 hours ago, JHCC said:

It hit 70F today, which is unusual in northern Ohio in January. 

Same thing in greater Cincinnati but with the added treat of 60mph winds and driving rain. A cold front was behind the rain and it's only going to be in the 40f range today but no rain so I can get the forge rebuilt at last. Fingers crossed.

Pnut

Dear Littleblacksmith,

OK, I'll  bite.  What is the purpose of the tongs with the unusually wide jaws on the right of the first photo?  They seem to also have rather narrow jaws that would have a narrow bearing surface on the work.  I can usually figure out the purpose for an unusual or specialized set of tongs if I study them for awhile but this pair has me stumped.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

2 hours ago, bluerooster said:

too much air for charcoal.

There are a couple ways to limit the air. One would be to have the source disconnected from the inlet pipe and to aim it off till you get the correct amount of air. Another is to add an adjustable plate to either the inlet of the blower or a damper of sorts to the pipe after the blower. 

I might or probably have missed (or forgotten :rolleyes:) your setup being explained to offer better advise atm.

Thanks everyone. Thank you Jennifer for the compliment of proportions, that’s something me and other young Smith’s spend hours conversing about. 

Yes, pick up tongs, hammer making tongs, etc. style of Brian Brazeal. Small contact surface, allows to manipulate and flip billets around very easily once you become comfortable with them. 

Had a girl from school come out and she took some nice pictures. I won’t bore y’all with all of them but here’s some. 

A62E27E9-D85D-438D-9E34-722240624CEA.jpeg

1C0A837E-FEBB-4903-ADEB-E9ADC7F33EEF.jpeg

EE6EAEA7-BA9C-4477-9CAA-A25015C07FCA.jpeg

53DD580A-7145-4AF4-AA3E-B3EB02A519B2.jpeg

3F8B1EBB-666B-45AD-9057-E24F3C7D9BF0.jpeg

LBS:  Thanks.  I think that it would take me some time to become dexterous with them.  Because I haven't used anything like that my first impression is awkward but I'm sure that once the muscle memory was imprinted it would make more sense.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Mark, she took some great pictures! You are a great blacksmith so keep up the awesome work. 

Bluerooster, I agree, must be a good hair drier. Forge table and setup looks good for bituminous coal. Might be a bitwasteful for charcoal, but it can work if you get the air right. 

After further tests on my jeep I've determined it Is the cat system. And tonight after getting the old one off I'm sure. The sensors were not lying all along and the issues were telling. Just that spending $400-700 for a new 4cat y pipe, I wanted to be sure. The driver side fore cat guts are scattered over the system and now the floor. So now I just need to come up with the loot for a new y pipe4 cat system. 

20200112_221549.thumb.jpg.13262ceee7eaa7d076c235a6f201f283.jpg

20200112_220445.thumb.jpg.75186e93ab2e094798a501721afe3a40.jpg

Love the chisel JLP, might be my next project

nice tongs LBS really clean forging

Mr. Jungle  - not sure how you are going to to paint kastolite. Less water is best IMO

good luck Das. Car problems suck and take valuable forging time. I am jonesing after a Couple weeks of no forging :-(