I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

CGL, nice work. You are getting there and it's really nice to see you are swaging the spoon portion really well.  that can be the toughtest part to do well.  what are you using to do this with? 

I would suggest you look at a spoon you have in your kitchen at home and look at the bowl shape..   that bowl shape is a classic working shape and is very old..   Eventually they figured it out. (I don't know the date the spoon was fully developed but it was a long time ago).    

it was the fork that was slow to be developed..  Seems the knife was first, then spoon, then fork in it's modern form. 

It's funny to that the spatula was a slow to develop form and shape only being recently set as a spatula at least from the information I have found. 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking good CGL. The twist looks nice in the handle. 

I start my spoons out about the same as I start with leaves, the pyramid point (just not too pointy at the tip) then two sided fullers with the amount of the point off of the anvil as I'd want for the bowl of the spoon. It seems to make for a nice more modern spoon shape. 

You got yours nice and symmetrical and it looks perfectly functional. "It will spoon." :)

In regards to flammable hair in a welding shop, ZZ Top style beards protruding from the hood are not a huge problem unless the owner uses some type of oily product as a grooming aid. A bushy beard seems to help block some of the reflective light coming from the chest area.

Dreadlocks though, they are a problem. I had at least one student use a green fabric welding sleeve to cover the bundle sticking straight out of the back of his headgear. Looked like one of the Alien characters from the side, I wish now that I had taken a picture....

4 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

CGL, nice work. You are getting there and it's really nice to see you are swaging the spoon portion really well.  that can be the toughtest part to do well.  what are you using to do this with? 

Thank you. And I used an old stump. I was using just a block of wood then I read something about using the end grain of the wood to swage and it worked much better. 

3 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Looking good CGL. The twist looks nice in the handle. 

I start my spoons out about the same as I start with leaves, the pyramid point (just not too pointy at the tip) then two sided fullers with the amount of the point off of the anvil as I'd want for the bowl of the spoon. It seems to make for a nice more modern spoon shape. 

"It will spoon." :)

Thank you Das. This was a round piece and I didn't think of tapering the end. Thanks for that tip. I was just stoked ( and surprised)it came out as well as it did. Tonight I'm going to try to make a matching fork. I was working on three different projects at a time, but I think I just need to concentrate on one at a time till I figure out the cutlery. 

Rojo, that looks good. I try to repurpose things when I can also. I hate for something to go to waste. I like the twist pattern on them. Ýou do nice work. 

Well, here's phase 2: the ( sort of matching fork). My first one. I'm sure there's a bunch wrong with it but my self critique is the tines are too long. I can cut or file those down. A little uneven at the junction where the tines meet the handle. Handle needs more bend to match the spoon. I messed up the twist. I did it in two separate turns because it was losing heat fast. The second heat, I grabbed it in the wrong place resulting in a portion being too tight. And I need to really work on symmetry. Anyway, thanks for letting me post my work good or bad and all the helpful comments. 

20191230_205416.jpg

59 minutes ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

I messed up the twist. I did it in two separate turns because it was losing heat fast.

That is Organic - it is a Feature. I would be jazzed to stick that in to a scorched hunk of beefcritter, er ah, tofurkey. When is supper?

Nice spurs, Mr. Mark.

Robert Taylor

CGL Wrap the fork tines against a piece of pipe to get the matching bend at the end of the handle.

Twists react differently to different temperatures. You can use this to your advantage.  A water bottle or condiment container with water can be used to cool and isolate the heat of the stock to where you want the twist to start or stop.

Made a quick and dirty swage block stand. There is no way to hold it standing on edge but it's only temporary until I make a better one with a gantry crane with a winch and a deep cycle battery. Sure beats having it sitting on the floor and now I can drive drifts through without worrying about the concrete floor under it.

Resized_20191230_215245(1).jpeg

Thanks Robert. They aren't perfect for sure, but I like them. Thanks Glenn for another great tip. I cooled off the first part of the twist then grabbed it in the wrong place.  Starting turning and realized what I was doing and as I do quite often, freaked out a little...Too late now, just keep turning. Now on to phase 3. The knife. Then start all over again ^_^