• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice work to everybody on the last few posts. I always manage to follow after alexandr....:rolleyes: I love looking at everyone's work. We have such a talented group of folks on this site. 

Anyway, this is today's work from me. I don't know if the hair thing will work because it's smaller than I estimated. Mostly practice in tapering and getting rid of as many facets from squaring and rounding as I can. First heart I've made in awhile. Came out near perfect shape wise except I drew one branch too long. Thanks for looking and I hope everyone's Sunday evening is good

20191027_163812.jpg

Breath taking as always Alex, I'm very fond of the helix chandelier but love them all. 

Those are excellent tapers CGL, about as good as hammer work gets. If you want them smoother you'll need to take sand paper to them. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for that tip Glenn. I know to do that, but I tried a different way to forge the heart today and it never occurred to me to mark it. Although, it took me a lot less time and effort doing it differently. I just need to refine it better. The more I work,  the more I am able to do things differently and more efficient now. 

Thanks again Frosty. Y'all made my day:D

Find the center point of the tip of the heart and place it perpendicular to the anvil face. Mark the length of one leg and either mark that distance or reference it to the width of the anvil face.  If it matches the width of the anvil face great. If not go from the heal of the anvil to the far side of the hardie hole. No use using a ruler when you have your anvil handy anyway. You can also reference it to the length of the hammer body length.  Use what is available.  Make your projects fit your anvil. (grin)

Oh yes, take notes.  You do have a notebook in the shop don't you?

Did a bit of drawing out of a timing chain billet that seems to want to be a double edged blade to go with it's bigger sibling that is single edged.   Experimented with a bit of railing cap I have in my tooling pile, (flat bottom, curved face). I cut a section and laid it on the bottom die of the screwpress and put the blade blank oriented 90 to it's axis and bumped, lifted, moved, bumped, usw.  Worked well as the shallow curve spread it well without making too deep a trough.

So I'll work it up as an official tool for the screw press sometime this winter: weld it to a plate that mounts to the bottom die, I've even be thinking of doing several strips in parallel so I can do the entire billet in one go!

I also relined my propane forge; I've always sworn that I would NEVER put in a new liner right before teaching a beginner's class but the old one was getting too worn out even for me!  Did a bit thicker plistix layer hoping it will help. Class is next Sunday.

I also took a top fuller with a badly damaged striking area---actually split to the eye---and bumped it a couple of times with the screwpress to make it fit my Trenton anvil with the 1 3/8" hardy hole.  Usually I do this for my 2" hardy holes but this was undersized.  I've been lucky to find  a bunch of "damaged" top tools that make great bottom tools, cheap too as they are often severely mushroomed, cracked, split on the striking end but fine on the workpiece end.  Turn them upside down, fit them to the hardy, (screwpress is great for making nice parallel sides) and Bob's your Uncle! 

Eventlessbox I like your hangers but have you thought about making the tong one a bit smaller? 

My thinking is if the sides were a bit closer together they would hold on the handles a bit higher up making it easier to lift them out, they look a bit flush with the top right now. 

CGL, the easiest way I have seen a horseshoe heart made is to straighten the shoe out, then fold it in half. That way you taper both ends equally at the same time. Put the curves on it, then unfold, boom it's done.

How heavy is the hair barrette? My concern is if it is too heavy it will slide down as you walk. Nice job on keeping those forgings clean and smooth.

BIGGUNDOCTOR, thanks for your input. And the barrette is on the heavy side. I tried it out on my husband... I wasn't even thinking it might be too heavy until after I got it done and felt the weight in my hand. I don't have much smaller material in stock, but I'll just forge down something to size for next time