I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Demonstration today for the EAIA.  I chose a carving hatchet as the demo piece.  Took an item that normally takes 6hr forging and got this far in 3hr.   Not as clean but not bad for working at someone else's shop with huge time crunch. 

I was totally surprised as it was a scheduled event but there wasn't even any welding flux.  Luckily one of the other demonstrators had a new box in the truck.  Funny thing was my first thought was as I was packing up my hammes and eye mandrel,  " I should bring welding flux".  I was then like.. Naugh, that's just being silly.   Who doesn't have welding flux at the shop especially when they know I'm going to be making a hatchet from 1/2X2" stock in a folded body single sided welded tool steel edge.. LOL.. 

It's not pretty but once I lend some filing to it and just a tad more forge work. She'll be a beauty. 

20191012_192008.jpg

20191012_192014.jpg

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2" lower than I like..  the weird thing is there is no room. I'm nearly into the vise. That was more uncomfortable and the horn is on the other side than I like. :)  I have found that most anvils if going by the knuckle height is about inseam length..  34" is my inseam but I like my anvil to be about 31" give or take but this was sitting at 29". Luckily I've been forging enough that my back muscles and shoulder and neck muscles are in pretty good shape right now. 

Jlp

I am fairly good at what i do and am able to adapt to changing conditions. The ability to do that is what allows me to make a living.

You obviously have spent the time learning the trade and are well able to adjust to different equipment and a different shop and produce good products with less than ideal (or different than accustomed  to equipment) Your ability to do that and your desire to train others is something that sets you apart. As a novice to blacksmithing I would love to spend some time soaking in the experience which you (and others) are willing to give to people that desire to learn more about your trade.

Thanks for sharing 

This is actually the past 2 days. 

Yesterday after a few phone calls i found a place locally that sells coal. Kentucky bituminous @  $215  ton. Happy as a pig in mud over that one. 

Got a handle put on my knife. I am no bladesmith. This is mostly something i just wanted to try. The handle aint real pretty nor fancy but over all i am happy with it. Comfy to hold and cuts well. 

20191012_185757.thumb.jpg.01b50280156e227674e02548a28f2597.jpg

And the other side.

20191012_185809.thumb.jpg.5c8d8473fc621077319c52470a2f31c5.jpg

I also made a handful of brooches for a friend to take to ren fes. 

20191012_185934.thumb.jpg.0be6e2f2a5b268b8574cc824d8084920.jpg

san mai ive been working on, have to re-polish/vinegarize as i quenched it again do to an annoying line i got do to missing part of the edge in the first dunk seen in the third photo

72145036_564692774359202_5069620280544985088_n.jpg

chisel.jpg

sanmizzle2.jpg

the brass isnt glued to anything yet just fitted a shoulder so i can still work out the little gaps

that is xxxxxxx amazing jhcc. this thread has been inspiring me to do some ornamental things.

unrelated but do any of you guys have experience with making forge welded sockets? i have an order for a chisel and im rather intimidated. i was thinking for stock id use a rr spike with a leaf spring bit but after peaning out the socket end quite a bit i dont feel like i have enough area to work a socket let alone forge weld it. im still struggling with drawing material width ways in general 

22 hours ago, Old Crew said:

Jlp

I am fairly good at what i do and am able to adapt to changing conditions. The ability to do that is what allows me to make a living.

Thanks and yes I do enjoy sharing for sure.  Once the teaching facility is up and running I am hoping to do some long distance stuff too. 

My pleasure. 

I forge welded on a thin section to reinforce the eye. You can just see the weld seam. 

JHCC. Great job but I'm not quite sure how it works?  I don't want to sound funky.. but is is like a bread box?  I mean I don't see any opening to put the ashes in.. 

20191013_180830.jpg

Not today, I have been working on this table the last couple weeks in my spare time. My wife requested another one and once again gave me the artistic license to do what I wanted in terms of style. I have an idea in mind, so since I woke up early this morning I started on a couple  bending forks before making breakfast.

E6350FE0-6928-4223-88FA-13424CADB9F4.jpeg

D1EDCA34-B76F-4918-AC8A-D5DDA67356C7.jpeg

A3E9703D-5B6A-42B7-9612-E521E8EB736C.jpeg

First day at the forge in a bit over a month. Hadn't felt like doing anything since making some flowers for a friend's funeral but finally forced myself to do something. Made a new set of hold fasts, one for each anvil, and drive hooks to hang them up on. 

Not much done but at least it is something to get going again, and the first items I have been pleased with in a long time, although they could be a bit more uniform. Luckily they work great compared to the old ones I made when I started.

Fowllife: very nice table! I too like to use bending jigs. After about the 3rd different set I had made for a different radius, I saw somewhere (probably on IFI) about this design. Weld your pins on opposing pieces of angle iron. You can place these in your vice jaws and slide them apart for a nearly infinite range of radii.

IMG_20191014_080301803.thumb.jpg.6f0e57a7b6d666b78cda7c3e22edffc5.jpg

My apologies for the hand drawn pic, but I'm not near my shop. If you use a good heavy angle, and have your vice properly secured, you can bend some pretty stout material.