I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Mudman

If you lay a bead of latex calking compound around under the anvil it will deaden the ring even more. I was skeptical about this but tried it on an ear splitting cast steel MP farriers anvil and it's now as quiet as any Fisher or Vulcan.

My wife made this steak turner yesterday. Made out of an old wrought iron RR spike.100_1984.thumb.JPG.be6ff34864dafbc58ce5db0b6cd51ef1.JPG

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

That's my plan as well, but I've decided on a bigger stump. There's a guy with a good size piece of Chinese Elm. So I was going to do the same thing, except not screw up this time. Then inset the anvil, and so the silicone. 

3 hours ago, VaughnT said:

Thanks,

It was actually Faram's lol. He and I were brainstorming- which I only added 1% valuable input. Then he remembered he had those mounts, and gave them to me .

Don't forget to band up your stump with thin bands or it will split over time.  One on the top and bottom works just fine, but don't screw them into the wood yet.  I bolted mine together and when I stop having to tighten it at all then I'll know my stump is pretty much not going to shrink anymore.  It's been 2 years and I think I'm just about ready to put the bands on permanently.

Mudman, that size stump allows you to work close to the anvil, and provides clearance for long items worked over the horns. Try just adding a widewr foot for stability , but I would probably leave it as is.

As to green stumps. Checking and splitting come from drying too fast. If you seal the end grain with wax or paint it dries much slower and less checking/splitting if any occurs.

Got some more work done on the razor between swatting mosquitoes today. Quenched and tempered it yesterday, then got it just about ready for scales and honing today. Still a little refinement to do on the tang, but almost there.

DSC_0967.thumb.JPG.1f6ecbbcbf1c40e1536d4c9ff1ce8659.JPG

(Next to my Tanifuji for size reference)

DSC_0966.thumb.JPG.011c20878f934aa53fbd693f2d4700cd.JPG

I actually got the edge centered.

DSC_0968.thumb.JPG.8bf476f2d0a9dd2ab21b66ce08d56894.JPG

It's right at 1/2 hollow for the grind.

DSC_0969.thumb.JPG.5af331636863a3fd348754226de81afe.JPG

Today was welding, taking the back end of my treadle hammer’s arm from this:

C2759E57-CD73-48FE-9499-81B908B88725.jpeg

To this:

402C0DD1-6E2D-429C-A338-62F8845F02B6.jpeg

This has no effect on the hammer while it’s in operation (apart from needing one fewer return spring), but it brings the hammer head higher up and farther out of the way when the pedal is disconnected. This makes regular work at the anvil easier.  

Also welded up some bits of pipe and plate onto a tire rim for what will ultimately become a work stand. 

6ECD62B3-D706-4CDF-B170-E0C18D77784D.jpeg

Sfeile, thats turning out great. 

Always like seeing whats next John. :)

I've been getting and throwing away these subaru door hinges for a while thinking they would make a cool octopus. Well I tried one as a wall hook. And it hinges for no purpose whatsoever. Cathulu like? Ah well, a good hooky thing. :)

Images are of it screwed into a board.

IMG_08092018_001608_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg

IMG_08092018_001628_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg

IMG_08092018_001655_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg

I love it.,  it bears an uncanny resemblance to some of my relatives!,

Try Robertson screws  (square drive), instead of the straight screws for a slightly more realistic look for the beast. The centered square 'slot' looks more like a realistic eye,  than the straight slot and Phillips screw heads.

Those superior Robertson screws are usually available in woodworking stores.  They can sometimes be found in some of the big box stores.  (I did buy some at a Home Hardware a while back).

They are,  also,  for sale in any hardware store in Canada where straight slot screws have been substantially supplanted by them.

That screw head was invented in Canada. (patented in 1909, by you guessed it,  Mr. Robertson).  Hence its wide use and popularity in that country.

Boatbuilders also use the Robertson screw.  So boat builders supply sellers should have them too.

Give it a shot.

SLAG.

Das, that octopus hook is cool. I thought the 366 Hooks thread just about covered all but you've added another! And I like the slotted screws set vertically. Gives him a surprised look. The head reminds me of the robot in the movie Number 5.

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

I have only noticed the square drive on decking screws.

They have cabinet screws, sheet metal screws, a lot of new electrical stuff is coming with square drive. They are out there, the trick is finding them locally. Some big stores like home depot or lowes, or even an electrical supply house should have something that would work Das.

Das,

You are welcome.

Searching for a seller of Robertson screws close,  to you is,   probably, the easiest route.

But if that proves too involved/complicated,  mail order is the next best option.

I decided to do a web search for Roberson screws.  (for my own purposes),  and found many sellers.  I used the search term "Roberson screws".

For example,  try www.robertsonscrew.com.

There are many other sellers out there so you have a wide choice of vendors.

Happy hunting!   Pilgrim,

SLAG.

The razor is excellent and I love the octopus, brilliant stuff. 

The forging gods were not with me today, I just couldn't get the metal to move where I wanted it to. I did make a poker for a mate. It's only 6mm round bar, a bit thin to be much good but he finds his 8mm poker too heavy to use. I did my first fire weld too where I bent the tip back to form the rake. It didn't take 100% but I was happy for my first go. 

20180908_135045.jpg

20180908_135038.jpg

20180908_135042.jpg