Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Selfie, what is your sharpening process for the straight razor?

I use a shapton pro ceramic water stone in 2000 grit to set the bevel. Then the same stones in 5000 and 8000 grits until the previous scratch pattern is gone. After that I move to a 5+ Japanese water stone working through koma and tomo slurred to finish on just water. Roughly around 14000 grit. Strop it on leather, and it will cleanly cut a free hanging hair.

Sfeile, that’s looking awesome. 

Today was another squeeze-in-bits-and-pieces-here-and-there day, but to good effect. 

First, pieced up a pickaxe. The eye with its nub will become a picaroon. I had planned to make drifts from the two picks, but they were sparking as pretty high carbon, so I may need to rethink. 

9DF6F652-8A29-418D-BA92-FCC7851EA712.jpeg

Also took a piece of the back end of a long jackhammer bit and ground it down to fit the pritchell hole. 

89127479-D86C-46F1-A544-C60CCE658351.jpeg

This will ultimately become a rivet header. 

0255222F-DDE1-436F-B8C8-A10142AFF6EA.jpeg

(I put a little divot on the end to register a ball punch to create the final shape.)

Still busy with the bronze wax kiln aka  Raku firing furnace. Finished bottom section and lid. Use the elevator technic to handle weight of lid and ‘bell’ section to till up. The contra weights are not heavy enough to deal with the finished insulated parts yet,  so I will increase the weights.

For the rest I think the setup will works well.

Darned quit a lot work and configuration to adjust the whole thing to answer our needs.

Will inform you of course about the progress of the kiln wax moulds and Lisa’s attempt of firing ceramic pieces.

Cheers, Hans      

DSC00688.JPG

DSC00700.JPG

DSC00708.JPG

DSC00690.JPG

Got all the final refinement and polishing done today. It's now ready for scales and honing. The white oak it's sitting on will be the scale material and it will have a black walnut wedge. I will probably add some "jimps" to the underside of the tang before I'm done also.

DSC_0972.thumb.JPG.577ea17a4643e810781395fde90cd5bc.JPG

DSC_0976.thumb.JPG.e99c194ac5a688d8d423596bc0fd82f0.JPG

Still trying to figure out a forge so I got some other projects done.

Rear wheel bearing changed on the G35.

20180909_113852_HDR-L.jpg

Modified a intake manifold for clearance to the exhaust headers on Dirty, the 1978 B210 rally car. It's a little hideous, I'm still new at aluminum welding. 

20180909_122549-L.jpg

Taught my youngest son how to weld so he could finish building a small casting furnace his brother started. He welded a brake rotor from the scrap pile on the bottom to use as a stand. 

20180909_173909-L.jpg

Hans RIchter I love the way you work and think.. Well done..  Can't wait to see the results.. 

sfeile Nice blade.. well done..  all the old blades I have ever seen have the hollow ground sitting a little further into the blade thus leaving the feather edge a little longer.. 

Toyman01   If you preheat the manifold some it will weld better or cleaner.. Also do a preheat and let it cool, then wash it with some acetone or alchol and let it dry for awhile.. This will get rid of most the oil contamination.. 

not sure exactly what you removed or moved/replaced but I used to build and R&D auto parts for Race and Rally cars.. Specifically SAAB's so spent a lot of time designing and fabricating both = length exhaust manifolds for turbo charged cars and also intercooler systems.. 

I was running 28Psi on 93 octane on a stock engine with stock fueling... The intercooler was effective enough to lower the air temp below ambient at full boost at speed with only a 7psi loss to friction and flow losses..  It was amazing after a  few runs of of full boost to find the intake below ambient temperature each and everytime even with that kind of boost.  The exhaust would be orange.. Was neat.. 

I started blowing transmissions in 4th gear on a regular basis and could peel rubber in 5th gear from 50 to 100mph or more depending... Ah, the old days.. 

Here are some of the old R&D work..  This car with stock engine management would feel like 2 hits of nitrious with a stock turbo and stock cams and stock bottom end with a 9.1 CR

I started to research = length intake manifolds made out of fabricated aluminium..  the potential became even greater. the exhaust manifolds pipe length was 17".. Power came on at 2000rpm with turbo initiation, this would sit you back.. At 3k your head would sit back in the head rest and if you weren't ready for it it would be a "Wow" moment..  All out of a 16V 2.0l engine..  Was a lot of fun for quite a few years.. 

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 077.jpg

29 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

sfeile Nice blade.. well done..  all the old blades I have ever seen have the hollow ground sitting a little further into the blade thus leaving the feather edge a little longer.. 

Thank you Jennifer.

That one is sitting between a quarter hollow and half hollow grind. Full and extra hollow go way up towards the spine and are probably what you are used to seeing. I have some full hollow blades and boy they "sing" when you use them. You really need to be careful honing and stropping them though so they don't flex on you. I have some half hollow and I think one quarter hollow blades that shave very well also. Not a fan of the wedge and near wedge grinds though.

I would have liked to have done more of a half to full hollow, but I'm limited by my contact wheel size. Or maybe more by my skill at this moment haha. This is actually only the second razor I have made, so maybe I can figure out how to better utilize my tools as I progress.

On 9/9/2018 at 7:53 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

not sure exactly what you removed or moved/replaced but I used to build and R&D auto parts for Race and Rally cars.. Specifically SAAB's so spent a lot of time designing and fabricating both = length exhaust manifolds for turbo charged cars and also intercooler systems.. 

This manifold is strictly a hack job on a cheap car to run in rallycross and 24hrs of Lemons endurance races. We needed some clearance for a set of headers so I cut the EGR passages and heat box off the bottom of it and covered them with plate.

That's some good looking stuff you built. The manifold on my rotary powered Spitfire isn't quite that pretty. Fun car though.

20171025_182308-L.jpg

Sfeile, that looks great for a second razor, and great in general. 

Didn't get much time in the shop but got started on yet another octopus thingy.   Dont know where the inspiration for these is coming... :rolleyes:

Wish I would have just tacked the two nuts for the head together before a full weld... I'd have tilted the acorn nut back further. Ah well.. run with it. Next is to fill in the webbing a little more then smooth it out with the TIG. Then see if I dig the eyes I tacked on, " with fresh eyes"' and weld them up. Then just some twirling of tenticals. 

IMG_09092018_224201_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg

IMG_09092018_224136_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg

No pictures, but I finished forging the components for the custom job I mentioned before. Just a bit of fit and finish, and we’ll be good. 

Also did a couple of bits and pieces of tooling for the shop, including the rivet set I started yesterday. 

3ED8E5DD-B171-4A8F-AF26-99EC09AC72F6.jpeg

Das, I imagine drawing out those tentacles would have been a pain. Looks like you used threaded rod. I suppose your inspiration came from the shape of that dome nut. Looking forward to a pic of the finished critter.

I haven't had much time to indulge in much scrap art lately. Struggling to keep up with the touristy stuff. Demos every day for the last couple of months and still can't keep up the supply. And I need a day off.

Yeah Aus, the tentacles are around 3/8 threaded rod drawn out. Not really a pain but takes me longer then I'd like. Actually the dome " acorn" nut was the start piece. :)

Take a day off if ya need one. Sounds like you've been busy. Just hang up a sign that reads " Gone Fishin' !" 

On 9/9/2018 at 5:07 PM, sfeile said:

Got all the final refinement and polishing done today. It's now ready for scales and honing. The white oak it's sitting on will be the scale material and it will have a black walnut wedge. I will probably add some "jimps" to the underside of the tang before I'm done also.

Really nice job on the razor!  Been using straight razors for a couple of years and will never switch back.  Make sure to post photos when it is done.

On the other hand; the only time I get shaved anymore is for surgery... I remember my first "big job" interview: clean shaven; 15 years later my next "big job" interview: Mustache; 10 years later, my last? "big job" interview: trimmed Beard & Mustache.  Bluejeans and boots standard office wear out here.  I get called Santa Claus at the Factory in December.

34 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Bluejeans and boots standard office wear out here.

I hear you Tomas. I was an Ironworker for 15 years walking on those little beams way up in the air. Then moved to millwright work, welding, and machinery moving and instalation. For me, "dressing up" for work is putting on my Carhartts.