I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Frosty; she didn't demand you have a "keeper"?   After my little episodes, my wife talked to my friends about keeping an eye on me when I was in the shop and demanded that I not go on the roof when she is not around.  Of course I still drive the 3 hours from house to Casita and cross into Mexico on a regular basis by myself...

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good work, OC.  It's nice and uniform, and that's the important part.

I managed to get twelve hooks and a small dish made.  I was rushing like a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs so I could get the stuff made and to the post office in time.  It feels good to rush some times.  It forces you to pay attention to every strike of the hammer and keep things as streamlined as possible.  Now I'm tired!  :D

56 minutes ago, Mudman said:

Undecided to strip the bark, the wood is not completely dry. Stripping the bark would speed things along. 

Bark many times encourages bugs.

Make bands to hold the wood together top and bottom. Tighten the bands periodicity as needed.

15 hours ago, Frosty said:
So, if you guys don't hear from me for a few days I'll be WORKING! :o on and around the shop.

Or lying on the shop floor wishing Deb had stayed home to call the ambulance...

Be careful out there!

43 minutes ago, Judson Yaggy said:

Jennifer, how big a piece of wrought do you need?  I have some big chunks, could bring them to the meet next weekend...

Wow what a great offer..  2.5x2.5x5" would work.. 3x3x5"anything between..

Ideally 4.5lbs-6lbs worth would be about perfect..  

The sizes listed are a little bit more weight wise but better more than less..

Arkie, got video footage in the works.. not my typical "how to " but might still be interesting..  

There will be a thread.. ;)

I dressed my first hammer.  I've a nice Peddinghaus crosspein and diamond rounding hammer, but I got an Estwing to practice on.. I got an angel grinder and flap disc, but decided last minute to dress it with a file.  Yes it took longer and I've used an angle grinder a lot, but I wanted to take my time.

Haven't done any forging since I finished my 9 week class  9 weeks ago.. But I have ALL the basics, 300lbs of blacksmithing coal, 80lbs of anthracite and some mild steel..

Just need a base for my anvil and time... 

On 8/31/2018 at 11:37 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Frosty; she didn't demand you have a "keeper"?

Yeah, mostly she want's me on remote control.

On 8/31/2018 at 2:27 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

My wife always admonishes me to not

Deb seems to be able to imagine more ways things can go wrong than can be done at all. I rarely do ladders anymore, especially not in the shop I don't have one that fits. 

Funny thing about the funnin. I was out doing the hand digging near the house. We park about 4' above the top of the pony wall in the basement and I have to trench down to it. Well, as the retaining wall between where we park and down . . . there, I stacked boulders back when. Well I had to shift them so I could sneak the cable past. I jumped? out of the hoe and was crossing the ditch to grab my pick shovel and weed eater, stepped on a big old rock it moved and I found myself laying head down between a couple big boulders in damp dirt.

Not hurt, not even embarrassed enough not to talk about it on a public forum but I'm SURE glad I didn't have to call 911 and tell them I'd fallen and couldn't get up. All my friends are out doing Labor Day stuff or working otherwise I'd have help.  MAN I wish I had help, hand digging 12' doesn't sound like much but if you'd ever dug in glacial till you'd know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, I'm back in I need a chili burger. I deserve a chili burger I earned it I've been SWEATING! :wacko: Seriously going to the pot is no big deal, I WANT that stuff out of me and I feel so much better after. But sweat, it's smelly water seeping out of my skin and it's 60 f. and sunny! I mean REALLY ughhhh! Stinky salt water oozing out of my hide. 

I think I'll put some fries in the oven too, I deserve it. I just hope I can smell the food past this stinky skin water stuff. Oh it gets worse, Damascus one of our cats thinks sweat is kitty treats I have to keep chasing her scratchy tongued self off. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, funny how you mentioned going to pot, and a chili burger with fries in the same sentence.  Then you mention sweat as smelly salty water seeping out of you skin. Many people attribute good chili with the proper amount of hot spices to be able to make the sweat pop through the skin. 

Working and sweating are measured a bit differently here. We expect to 1) most always show sweat stains on the shirt, 2) get the entire shirt wet, 3) have sweat rings down to the belt loops, 4) have sweat rings down to the pants pockets, and 5) on a good day, have sweat rings down to your knees. After that it is time you find shade, a soft place to sit, and catch your breath.

I found myself laying head down between a couple big boulders in damp dirt. Always good to lay down on soft dirt, even better to lay down on TOP of the soft dirt. Glad your ok.

5 hours ago, Glenn said:

Working and sweating are measured a bit differently here. We expect to 1) most always show sweat stains on the shirt, 2) get the entire shirt wet, 3) have sweat rings down to the belt loops, 4) have sweat rings down to the pants pockets, and 5) on a good day, have sweat rings down to your knees. After that it is time you find shade, a soft place to sit, and catch your breath.

I often have sweat down to my knees and living in New England..  As I have gotten older I have more and more recognized it's just because I work to hard.. Everybody else has barely any sweat on their brow and I'm drenched head to knees.. 

Just another viking..  Nice work..  Not quite sure what the wood thing with the stand is.. But I like the color combination and looks of it..  I'd assume it's a table but not quite sure.. 

On 8/31/2018 at 12:48 PM, Glenn said:

Bark many times encourages bugs.

Make bands to hold the wood together top and bottom. Tighten the bands periodicity as needed.

I wonder why these small details never ever occur to me. Bark is definitely coming off now. Being in the backyard, I'm already have a weird cricket problem in another stand. Bands are also a good idea, I shall do that. Thank you for the tips