Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks all. 

Jon, yeah it was tough trying to figure out hand poses to give it. Not much reference out there for a four armed creature. The fingers are mandrels from 1/4" pop rivets. 

Never shipped anything to the UK so I don't know if it's a deal killer. :)

Sweet work, Mud.  I've been wanting to make a small hole punch like that for awhile but keep putting it off.  Might have to play catch up now that you're breaking in that fine new anvil!  :D

Today's project was a trial to figure out how someone did it before me.  I'm calling it the "Nested Scroll" because the scroll is supposed to fit snuggly into a matched shoulder.

I didn't get it exactly, but I learned a good bit and the next attempt will be a lot better.  

IMG_6864.thumb.JPG.3144c82e83d9b3de4eab1408e40530c5.JPG

‘Kiln the kiln’ to be ready for the first ceramic biscuit firing. Let’s see what’s coming out tomorrow morning (clay mould for bronze casting of a Bacchus busts). Reach a temperature of 1000°C  and obey the quarter jump and stay at ‘sinter’ point.  Also happy to be quit in control with the firing curve of temperature and time with the ordinary weed burner I used by turning the gas control and manipulate the air out/intake. But will change the worn able burner mouth with a piece of 2in Inconel tube, and will extend the distance to the regulator/valve (crawling up heat).

The counter weights works well on the lid but are not heavy enough to till up the ‘bell’ yet. So I have to increase the counter weights.

However, after 6 weeks of try and arrow, I have a device to kiln my bronze lost wax moulds, heat treat/anneal forging stuff and be able to firing Lisa’s ceramic parts.    

DSC00717.JPG

DSC00722.JPG

DSC00716.JPG

DSC00725.JPG

DSC00713.JPG

DSC00709.JPG

12 hours ago, Hans Richter said:

arrow

˭ error ^_^

Just fired with the kiln (and try-out of the biscuit firing time/temperature cascade), 2 dry clay moulds to get my first stoneware. Even the ceramic pieces are very simple (and thick) no cracks no bubbles, no glazing no deformation.

The bottom plate (13in flowerpot dish) on the other hand didn’t survive the first firing. As direct flame face sealing of the burner camber and bottom for the stoneware it was to much. Ordered already 3 Cordieriet pizza stones at Lidl web shop with a diameter of 15 inch (10 bucks each -Webber dealers asking 3x this price). But no further damage on the kiln after several hours on 1850°F.

Jennifer, Mike –thanks for the very nice and flattering comments 

I’m not smart at all, if, I lived in a huge villa and drive a Porsche. Only using my healthy ‘peasant’ mind and some materials laying around. Made the gallows from the legs (pipe) of Lisa’s old childhood bed. And yes Mike the ‘buttons’ to attach the wool to the midsection are little biscuit ceramic flower pot dishes for 50 cent each instead the buttons of the art supply shop at 1 dollar. Psssst ………………. use some of them too to attach the wool (in case the dishes melt or collapse);)

Jennifer –the lost wax mould need, beside of melting out the wax, a firing of 1400 °F too, to eliminate all the bounded water and stabilise the plaster of paris mixture of the bronze moulds.

If someone needs more details, please let me know.

From next week on,  I got hopefully a decent agreement with my ‘difficult’ neighbour and will focusing on blacksmithing again (with or without using the power hammer:()

DSC00727.JPG

DSC00729.JPG

Awesome setup Hans. All the more genius to create it yourself and figure out what simpler things work. ( or don't).

$10. Pizza stones? :o need me some of those.... for pizza.  :)

I agree with Jennifer that this info is great and needs it's own thread so it's not burried here. 

No Firebrick they will insolate too much and suck to much energy. Will use the already mentioned Cordieriet pizza stones (temperature resistant up to 2600°F). They also made a good and exchangeable bottom to your gas forge (I’m using the ceramic bead blankets for now). So by example the aggressive flux will not affect the genuine bottom of your forge but destroy the PS in a while. Stone is to cut with angle grinder and diamante disk (wear a mask because of  cancer causing Quartz dust) in the shape you want.

Regarding the treats – maybe they make me some day a candidate Comurgedeon like I follow the treats and comments of Frosty, Steve, Glenn, Thomas many times. But maybe I’m not old, wise and grumpy enough yet ;).

Thanks, Das in this case the flower pot dishes work (for now). Look at web shops from Aldi and Lidl. I worked for the quality department of one of their kitchenware suppliers and know there products are much heavier tested (because of image- and warranty reasons = 3 years) then products of many other well-known brands.

Pizza stone.JPG

Das, that little guy looks awesome!

Mudman, great work on those punches.

Hans, that kiln looks fantastic!

I was able to get out and do a little bit today. Got the razor ready for honing and a few final polishing touch-ups. It has white oak scales and a black walnut spacer. I didn't seem have quite enough taper in my tang to let a wedge work well, so I went with a spacer on this one.

20180915_161959.thumb.jpg.068a01c38f11a61808103179a670b21a.jpg

20180915_161931.thumb.jpg.d1425bc902654f2a9a4169ad8dcb5bf4.jpg

20180915_161844.thumb.jpg.4159807a06a69a3e538bd28c564e7826.jpg

20180915_161811.thumb.jpg.aca9c690f6fd489e90b3cc730f7b3242.jpg