• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I fabricated a stand for a nice Peter Wright post vise that followed me home a little while ago. Here are the design requirements that I set for myself:

• I wanted the stand to be portable.
    Solution: Add wheels that are mounted just above floor level so that the vise can be tipped back onto them and wheeled around easily.
  • I wanted to be able to stand on the base of the stand to contain any forces within the blacksmith-vise-stand triad instead of twisting or tipping the vise/stand.
    Solution: Extend the base plate of the vise stand far enough to stand on it.
  • I wanted to be able to adjust the stand's base to be stable on an uneven floor.
    Solution: Add adjustable-height pads/feet at one end of the stand's base.
  • I wanted to support the vise about halfway up to eliminate any "tendency," albeit slight, to bend the vise leg when hammering down on an object in the vise.
    Solution: Add a mid-point support bracket to the vise stand.
  • I wanted to be able to hang a few tools on the stand.
    Solution: Add a couple of tool holder brackets.
  • I wanted to have a small work surface/tray next to the vise.
    Solution: Add a small two-section tray/work surface to the top of the vise stand (I haven't done this yet, but it's planned).

With those requirements in mind, I built this stand on the fly without any blueprint, based largely on what metal I already had on hand. I only had to buy a couple of odd bits of steel and a couple of wheels, so I didn't spend much on it. Here are a couple of photos of the stand as I was fabbing it up.

vise-stand-fabbing-1.thumb.jpg.fe4cf9d6d3498bdd58d407ee6e893a8c.jpg

vise-stand-fabbing-2.thumb.jpg.535e35025b4a771c5cab2973c0715d7a.jpg

Following is a photo of the stand before I mounted the post vise. The base plate is 3/8" steel plate. The socket to receive the bottom end of the post vise leg is a 1/4"-thick steel disc with a piece of steel tube welded onto it (it is NOT a floor flange). I figured that the steel disc would distribute the impact forces from the bottom of the post vise leg over a larger area and make it a bit more solid.

vist-stand-front-left-without-vise.thumb.jpg.3df983832a8736ab2874740a0f51a1d5.jpg

The next photo shows one of the adjustable-height pads. I use a screwdriver (note the slot at the top of the stud) to adjust the height of the pad, then lock the setting with the wing nut. I might eventually add a knurled knob at the top of each stud, since it would be more convenient than using a screwdriver to adjust the height.

vise-stand-adjustable-pads.thumb.jpg.f1b05139145a230917d58198df584e23.jpg

The following three photos show different views of the stand with the vise mounted on it.

vise-stand-with-vise-right-front-quarter-1.thumb.jpg.b96888a165c4eff06d0b0b13a2e87e86.jpg

vise-stand-with-vise-left-rear-quarter-1.thumb.jpg.7a07b7bfa46894a6279359aab3e95c79.jpg

vise-stand-with-vise-front-1.thumb.jpg.98737eb51b82c69896c7790bcbcb14d9.jpg

So far, so good. It's easy to move around and very stable, especially when I'm standing on the base.

Planned improvements: As mentioned above, I want to add a small, two-section, 3/8"-thick work surface/tray at the top, which would eliminate the 3/8" spacers between the vise mounting bracket and the top of the stand. I might also weld an extension onto the base to give me a little more area to stand on while using the vise.

Any thoughts?

Al (Steamboat)

Thanks, MotoMike and Dax. Sometimes I work from my plans and other times I just kind of design as I go. In this case I had a few basic concepts in mind, but no drawings, and some of the design features were determined by (or inspired by) what I happened to find in the scrap metal bin. As mentioned, I have a few small improvements in mind, which I might implement in the next couple of weeks, as time permits.

Al (Steamboat)

Thanks Das.

By the way, I just thought of another minor improvement I might make. I'm thinking about grinding a bevel on the top edges of the tool racks so that when I hang tongs over the edge they'll hang in a more closed position. I'll experiment with that idea on a piece of scrap to see if it's worth bothering with or not.

Al (Steamboat)

Absolutely agree with Mike, Al and Horse. Steamboat you made a fantastic vice stand. Starts with answering to all blacksmith needs, a clear design and an finishing in best practice craftsmanship.

Ben this hammers are almost too perfect to hit something with:lol:. Also like the classy attachment of the handle to the hammerhead -this kind of mounting are very unusual to European hammers and I see them on IFI for the first time (cone shape and smaller hammerhead eye then the diameter of the handle)

Gents, keep on the good work. Cheers Hans

9 hours ago, JHCC said:

Did some drilling and tapping for the custom-project-to-be-revealed-later.

JHCC, you've whetted my curiosity about the "custom-project-to-be-revealed-later." Maybe you could give us a hint. Is it something that will require the use of the SCUBA-tank dishing form? Do you do any diving? I still have my PADI card in my wallet, but it's been many years since I've played under water. Just some occasional snorkeling these days when vacationing in warmer climes.

Really pretty hammers, RanchManBen. It's the first time I've seen someone take a selfie using a hammer.

JustAnotherViking, I like your miniature axe. It makes a cool pendant, key fob, etc. I think it would be a popular item.

Thanks to SFC Snuffy, Horse, Hans, & JustAnotherViking for your positive feedback.

Al (Steamboat)

Whoa, I've been out of pocket a bit, trying to get caught up with all the "what did you do in your shop today" posts.  You guys are killing it!  LOVE, love, love the post vise stand and agree with whomever it was that said if this is something you just slapped together I can't even begin to imagine what your planned work looks like.  Awesome work, guys, all around.