I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I decided to put some threads in my Pritchel hole to hold accessories. It was about 7/16ths which is good for 1/2-13 threads.

The whole was so beat up I had no trouble starting the threads, which are all in the underlying cast iron. It's such a beat up anvil that I had no qualms about modifying it. 

I have a lot of 1/2" threaded tools that I use on my small auxiliary anvil that I can now use on this thing. 

cBMzZOt.jpg

v3sTiZY.jpg 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the Oobala, Das! The fingers are excellent, looks like a gang sign from it's upper left hand. It's got me thinking it could be using sign language, read from left to right top to bottom. It could be saying . . . no telling what!

You are my kind of warped Brother.

Frosty The Lucky.

I made this for my wife, started it at the museum yesterday and made the base and drilled and tapped the hole today. Had a bit of a scary moment with that as my tap snapped just as i was finishing but luckily it was sticking out just enough to get with a spanner. 

It is out of 20mm square and is 12inches tall.

Cheers,

Luke

IMG-20180916-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20180916-WA0001.jpg

20180916_172655.jpg

Running kiln and melting furnace last night at the same time. Some testing biscuit in the kiln and bronze in the furnace. Going so ‘easy peasy’ now with the bronze casting after 1 year practising:D. Made the ‘Astralogoi’  again and smaller as jewellery neckless hangers. Lisa and here ‘girl gang’ wanted to go in style to the next ‘Gothic’ event/exposition.

Next project will be a set of tongs on the forge again.

Cheers, Hans

Zero, very nice and modern candle holder, like him

DSC00730.JPG

DSC00731.JPG

DSC00735.JPG

DSC00736.JPG

DSC00733.JPG

Nice bronze bones Hans, thanks for keeping us abreast. . . so to speak.

You've put together a darned sophisticated set of furnaces, I like your style. You set your sights high and ease into it, it's a good formula for success.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks I was going to do a square base to keep the theme but did not have a piece big enough so went with the legs but I really like the look overall. 

Dax I did it hot with a friend striking but did it by cutting in at 20mm intervals to different depths the deeper you go the more the cube stands out. Then lock th first section in the vice and twist from the far end.I had to do it in two sections due to the length.

Cheers,

Luke

43 minutes ago, Ranchmanben said:

hammer that stands out from the 50 million other hammers

Awe, you can NOT imagine my disappointment to open this post and not find something that REALLY stands out like a hammer standing by the anvil swinging itself. Now THAT would be one for the books! 

Looks like a nice hammer and it's different enough that if it walks off while you're not looking you can grab your hand forged, stands out from all the others, war hammer and go get it back. B)

Frosty The Lucky.

9 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

That is a cool ASO.

ASO Jennifer? Are you talking about 51 Papy's post? I'd call that an anvil and put it to work, not an Anvil Shape Object.

We have to be looking at different things here. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Sfeile, that's a beautiful razor. I tried a straight razor twice, almost cutting my throat the second time. Never again! Besides, the only thing I shave nowadays is my scalp.

Ben, I really like the hammer. The faces look very piston-like.

Herr Richter, your work always astounds me. You make beautiful things  from beautiful tools. Well done, sir! I hope you resolve your conflict with your neighbor soon and in a mutually satisfactory fashion.

Jennifer

Not knowing the alloy I went with 4140 chart.  Calculated at 100 lbs. +\-.  My wife doesn't allow bathroom scales in the house.  I'll have to get it weighed.  I wanted a hardy and pritchel hole and a straight edge to do set downs.  The first post doesn't have any of the three.  I did several set downs on the "tail".  Except for the ring all went well.  

Jennifer & Frosty

All is good. It's not main stream, guess I'm not either, and I'm ok with that. :)

16 hours ago, JHCC said:

Not much shop time today, but I did manage to finish up the stand I started a little while back.

Very nice stand..

I'd suggest putting a flip V on it so when flipped up on the top it will keep a sq or round bar from moving the length of the flat.. This helps out so much when using a swage, Q tool.. or top tools.. 

Hinged..  if you make the hinge high enough to slant the V block back sometimes it won't need a retainer to keep it in position gravity will be enough.. 

The V  in the drawing is to tapered/long but it will get the idea across..  The V block can be as wide or as narrow as one can conceive.. The important part is that when the bar (sq or round) stays in the V and this will keep it centered to the swage, etc, etc.. 

Having taller narrower sides will hold it better but gets awkward with sq or rectangular pieces.. 

Also this V block can be made wider than the rest so it can hang over the backside even more thus using gravity and fulcrum advantage...  Again depending on gravity hold or screw, bolt, thumb screw.. 

stand 02.jpg