I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

17 minutes ago, Hans Richter said:

Hi Frosty, we’ve got the same taste. You will find the garlic butter as well on the right corner at the teak table. Regarding the ketchup of Lisa  ‘she is is/was young ……. and need the ……. Ketchup’-_-

My Grandmother used to say, "To each his own said the old lady as she kissed the cow." Ketchup has it's place I just wouldn't want any at a BBQ like yours, still taste is an individual thing, I don't really care so long as nobody squirts some on my steak.

Ketchup and Pepsi makes a surprisingly good expedient BBQ sauce. I also have to admit I like a squirt in beef stew, any beef stew. We grew up putting a squirt of ketchup in Mother's beef stew, the only thing I think Dad put ketchup on or in. Anyway, it's a flavor that reminds me of Mother's cooking and home. 

Goodness John, I actually remember that thread! I THINK I see some improvement. Keep with that curve and I'll bet your next forge won't need legs it'll hover.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

B.t.w. take the effort and visited jlpservicesinc profile and picture gallery. Incredible nice hinges and latches. Jealous of the ones of you, can make a living of blacksmith occupation (for me impossible after a broken neck caused by a diving incident). Also have seen we are at the same age (’68 gers’ =a good year). Like the scars and painted nails on your hands to:D. Looks familiar to me when I have to join a top management meeting during my audits (which means the scares, broken nails and sotted hands, accept the painting;)). Glad about the feedback and making part of this incredible community.

JHCC- after decades of smiting I’m just now busy with decent gas forges, good springer fullers and the first attempts of Damascus, so no worry about anything, it’s just nice to learn every day (with credits to the one surround us)

Welded on diagonal braces (two each in all four corners) and a central support down the middle of the firebox:

6E747CF0-A0F5-4199-B38F-8EF2A4C84D39.jpeg

It is MUCH more solid (i.e., without wiggle-wiggle) now. I’ll probably add a shelf at some point per Frosty, but I think we’re good for now. 

Also siliconed the seams of the bosh. I decided to use the old air intake off the JABOD, both because it works well and also as a memento of that particular forge. 

A30E518F-87E4-4A36-89F3-67A00DE0B89A.jpeg

(Note the drain valve for the bosh, salvaged off a friend’s dead hot water heater.)

10 hours ago, ausfire said:

That's a good effort for a first leaf. Well done! It doesn't really matter if your anvil edges are rounded. Just forge the body of the leaf back towards the stem to create the join angle you want. For a gum leaf it's pretty shallow, but you may want more of a heart shape for other leaves. I assume you are using a cross peen hammer to direct the metal.

And yes, a chisel makes good veins, although there are other ways. Make your chisel curved so that you can chase the vein without it digging in.  Please post more of your leaf pics as you improve.

Thanks for the kind words, ausfire. Yes, I used a 2.5 pound cross pein but most of the work was done using the flat face. I need to practice drawing out the steel more, I'm still having trouble making it move back towards the stem. I also think my hammer was a bit heavy for such delicate work. B)

Thanks again for your comments!

DARNED memory someone just posted a video of a JABOD in use. The fellow forged a leaf and I recommend it for you folks wanting to forge leaves. He made masterful use of a cross pein to direct the flow of steel and produce a heart shaped leaf.

Frosty The Lucky.

7 hours ago, Hans Richter said:

B.t.w. take the effort and visited jlpservicesinc profile and picture gallery. Incredible nice hinges and latches.

68 was a good year.. :) I'm a summer Baby as well.. I love the heat and summer sun.. :) 

When i was younger I was driven to explore abilities,, I have sustained so many injuries over the last 49 years, Sometimes I think angels smile on me as now I get hurt and just don't care about it anymore.. I think I really stopped caring when I got to counting 500 individual scars just on the back of 1 hand..  The only time I care about the scars is when I get all dolled up, as I only have a few spots that don't have any scars..  my body looks like it's been through a hamburger grinder.. LOL.. 

Sounds like you might be one of those play hard kind of person also.. LOL..  

Anyhow, thanks for the kind words and show of support.. Greatly appreciated..  

19 minutes ago, Frosty said:

DARNED memory someone just posted a video of a JABOD in use. The fellow forged a leaf and I recommend it for you folks wanting to forge leaves. He made masterful use of a cross pein to direct the flow of steel and produce a heart shaped leaf.

Frosty The Lucky.

9 hours ago, tonyw said:

Just a tip,

If you dip your finger in a mixture of dish soap and water, you can tool a bead of silicone without it sticking to your finger...

I shall have to give this a go. I tried to silicone seal a big galvanised bin to hold water, but ended up with more over my gloves than on the bin... either way, it didn't stick or seal at all.

I tried a high temp silicone after the first failure... it did stick to the bin, but dissolved in water... go figure.

Third times the charm? right???