Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/28/2018 at 2:42 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

I'm a little baffled as to why you went up with the bosh instead of a more conventional sideways lay out?

Very simple: that was the easiest shape to weld up from the sheet stock I had from the drop bin at my supplier. The hood isn’t an issue because, as noted before, I don’t have one.

And here it is in situ:

3F08A5EB-9C05-49AC-9B1E-F66BB844C4B5.jpeg

Probably won’t have a chance to fire it up today. Maybe tomorrow.

I also welded up a dishing form. This is the end of a scuba tank cut off, inverted onto a ring cut from the same tank, and the whole thing welded on a piece of 3/8” plate. 

DB8ADC55-534F-4F13-B5B7-B4569A99A1F4.jpeg

Well, I did get into the shop for a few hours, and the new forge is everything I could have wanted and more. Cleaning out the clinker is a breeze (see what I did there?), and the airflow is perfect. Made a new fire rake, finished up a bottle opener for a friend, and made a hammer I’ve been planning for a while (currently annealing in the hot box; pictures to come).

So here it is!

8606A60F-6BF3-4277-8AAC-0A1CE12EE8C9.jpeg

Steam!

822EA2BF-8755-410E-976B-8CA8DB3CC966.jpeg

There is one tiny leak, and that’s in the drain valve. It’s a salvaged pressure release from an old water heater, and I suspect it may require more pressure to keep it fully sealed. There’s a bucket under it for now, and I’ll replace it if it becomes an issue. 

I got tired of the 5 gallon bucket bails cutting into my hands.

DSCN2408.JPG

So I replaced the handle.

DSCN2417.JPG

It does not sound like much, until you try to lift and carry a 5 gallon bucket full of material by using the #9 wire handle they provide.

JHCC, That looks great...  I betcha its so much betterer now that you have some time under your belt and needed a newer forge..  

I found personally that the forge at had at the time was what was needed for my growth as a smith and as I migrated from a forge my skill sets and abilities got better.. Chicken/egg, egg Chicken.. 

Do you get the gurgle, gurgle sound? 

Thank you, Jennifer. It’s definitely worth the time, money, and effort that’s gone into it so far. Still considering a couple of tweaks, but nothing major. 

The single biggest difference is how easy it is to clean out the clinker, since it’s not sticking to the bowl or massing around the tuyere (or if it does, it’s easy to get out).   In turn, since the clinker isn’t there to act like a heat sink, that means more efficient use of fuel and a more consistent, predictable, and effective fire. 

About it the only downside so far is that the hot spot is 3-4” farther back on the hearth than what I’m used to, but I suppose I’ll adjust.

Here are the letter/bottle opener and hammer head:

B2AD300C-65FB-4160-B7A6-07BA151F346E.jpeg

The latter still needs to be hardened, tempered, ground, and handled.  I did a test heat treat of one of the offcuts; it wouldn’t harden in oil, but did in water. 

So not today but on Saturday my Dad came to visit and helped me by striking for the handle of my bolster plate.

It is 65mm by 14mm, I've drilled in a 6mm, 8mm and 10mm and then will be punching and drifting a 12 to 16 mm.

Then he had a go at making a leaf key fob, was a really fun day.

I did tell him to stand straighter, but who is a son to tell his father :lol:

20180429_113159[1].jpg

20180428_143642[1].jpg

Nice, this makes me smile. I remember working with my father on my car, and doing Leathercraft together when I was very young. I wish we could have forged together. He was very interested in my work and we talked on the phone nearly every day, but he was too sick to  travel or stand in my forge in his last years. Keep forging together. You will always cherish the memories you make together. 

I cleared out a ton of junk that got stacked in my shop, then installed the new tire hammer. It only had 4 tabs on the base, so I welded on 4 more to lag it down more securely. I added a new stump and attached some old leather belts to it to hold more tools. I made some scrolling pliers (thanks for the inspiration das!), Then I cut up one of the forklift tines I have on my newly restored Carolina band saw. I got it into big chunks, but I'll cut it down to useable sized pieces later.

IMG_20180429_162128232_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180429_162109582_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180429_162059547_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180429_145343388_HDR.jpg

Wow, you were busy Monkey.  The longer pliers should work good with small stuff but may want to twist on you with anything larger. 

Boy would I like to get my shop looking that organized :D 

huh, my dad is still around but he has never even bothered to step foot in my shop. He has mild interest in seeing some things I have made. It's just not in his area of interest, as just being a sports fan is not in mine. The only thing we bond on is going to an auction on occasion. 

Enjoy that yours is interested, and your time you spend sharing the craft. 

1 hour ago, HammerMonkey said:

Nice, this makes me smile. I remember working with my father on my car, and doing Leathercraft together when I was very young. I wish we could have forged together.

I will he did really well he had a stroke about 6 months ago, so was really happy with what he managed.

That tire hammer looks really nice, I have heard mixed reviews on them how have you found yours.

37 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

My dad is still around but he has never even bothered to step foot in my shop. He has mild interest in seeing some things I have made.

Well it is interesting but he told me he had done blacksmithing before in the 70s when he was doing his apprenticeship. He got really into it and couldn't stop smiling by the time we were finished.

On 1/12/2018 at 10:40 PM, Daswulf said:

Lol. Guys come on. It's for a charity auction. And my roses are already in demand since I hate making them. :blink: oh it's because people like them. I need to get with someone with a cnc cutter. 

Daswulf, you can get rose cutouts online

BTW, i am not trying to advertise, just help a fellow smith.

Thanks Das, The shop is just temporary. I am building an addition onto my shop that will be dedicated to blacksmithing and fabrication. (all the dirty stuff). Hopefully this spring I will get it done. I had the same thought about the pliers twisting... we will see how that goes.. How's the little one doing? are you getting any sleep? :)

That is great Zeroclick. Coming back from a stroke is not often very successful.

I bought the tire hammer from a Mennonite blacksmith in Kentucky that designed and made it. Kinda similar to the Clay Spencer tire hammer, but has a few design changes and refinements that he has come up with since he started making them. It runs smooth and hits hard. His name is Sam Stoner. I have only set it up, adjusted and lubed it so far. I hope to hit some hot steel tonight with it. I need to get started making some tooling to use with it.

2 minutes ago, HammerMonkey said:

How's the little one doing? are you getting any sleep? :)

She's doing great. We are starting to learn signs. It's still rough at night but last night was better then the first night home. We took turns getting some sleep a little later in the day so we weren't as exhausted during the night. It's tougher for Elizabeth at the moment because she holds the only food source when baby  is hungry. We will be working on that soon. And her first dr. Appointment is in an hour or so. Going to ask a few questions there. 

I will get up to the shop in the next day or so but that it's mainly to build a wood fencing for a changing pad on a dresser. :) 

hammermonkey,  Way to go..  It's Alive.. LOL..   Shop looks great...  I also love all the white paint and light colors..  It doesn't stay that way with forge work, but even dirty it's still better than a darker color..  

I'll be putting up white steel roofing for the walls in the Forge shop...  Eventually the concrete will end up with the epoxy white floor... Dirt in front of the forges and anvil but cement everywhere else.. 

I missed out on the Clay hammer build last year with NEB..  Looking forwards to the test and evaluation..    

Zeroclick:  and I thought I like my anvils sitting low..  Love the stand and Brooks but..  Do me a favor and measure the stand off height from the floor to the top..  I run my anvil about 30-32" and I'm 5'11"...    Like the looks of your shop and your Dad.. :)