I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I have a set of needle nose reserved for forging too.  They are an old 50 cent pair from the fleamarket and have fairly short heavy bits to them which helps with them not bending---especially as I have my students use them to do the second counter bend on S hooks. First they do with a hammer, second with needle nose and I tell them "There is only 1 way to do things when smithing---ANYWAY THAT WORKS!"

(I also remind them that that pair is reserved for forging and if you use the Fine Arts Metals instructor's  jeweler's set; mayhem *will* result!)

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glenn, the vines do a much better job of holding it. I couldn't get it off if I had to. Yeah, that's on my list of things to do really soon is get the pruners and free my shop of those vines before they really get growing again. It's perfect camoflauge tho. I was wondering where that ladder was!

10 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

There's an old wooden ladder up there too I could use as trellis since I wouldn't trust using it as a ladder. 

I'd just paint it and give anyone who said anything THE LOOK. You could make up some great stories too! Like how the vines opened the shed door and carried it off so they'd have a comfy recliner with a view. Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Lol. Could twist and weave the vines into a human shape, put it up on the ladder standing up and if anyone said anything about the vines I'll just tell them " I'm not touching them, Look what they did to the last guy! "

See, it's an inspiration!

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Could twist and weave the vines into a human shape

THE WICKER MAN!!!

4 hours ago, alexandr said:

I sent 2 chandeliers to Buffalo.

Really nice work!

I mounted the variac (speed control for the blower) on the frame of the new forge.

3BDB0136-3091-41A1-8630-1629D2801DB4.jpeg

(Although I’m not crazy about how it sticks out. I may move it to somewhere less exposed.)

9 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

How about "You walked into the Smithy"  scans better to me

Quite right; I should have thought of that.

9 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

and You DON'T [want] scale/dust/dirt/ getting into the variac!!!!!!!!!! 

It's been doing well so far, but that was a semi-protected location. I wonder if one might put some kind of filter around the casing (a cloth sleeve? an old sock?) to keep the dust out.

I made the clean out on the bottom of the coal forge. Ran out of wire right in the middle of welding parts together. At least I had an extra spool.

Got it lit with the soft coal just fine. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be at all. I did notice it doesn't seem to like a small pile. The grate on the bottom actually has an upward curve so I need to build a big pile over it to get a good coal bed.

Made a "rake" with it. It gets HOT. Used to setting the fire in the gas forge and it stays right about where it's set. Almost burned the end off the rod when I was making the scroll haha.

Then being paranoid after breaking the other knife I put a 2x4 in the vise and pounder the heck out of it with another I made at the same time. It survived without any issues whatsoever so I'm really thinking I overheated the other when quenching. 

Then I gave the new grinder attachment a workout on a "fantasy fighter"-ish looking thing, a karambit I've been wanting and decided to just try and make, and the tobacco plug cutter I started. 

DSC_0675.thumb.JPG.6d8c1df72c1596e45f8f5860c4f6ad63.JPG

DSC_0676.thumb.JPG.80cb1be1a1b0aefc32fc378362a771fc.JPG

DSC_0677.thumb.JPG.ff9852ffad719cc432747a2f3a9deedf.JPG

DSC_0678.thumb.JPG.ba9bbe312bc706bacc97bd2b009816b9.JPG