Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last two days...contributed for an upcoming raffle

8 bottle openers, 3 horseshoe hooks, 5 plant hangers, 2 horseshoe hearts, 1 ea. 8" trivet.  Wife is painting a horseshoe butterfly made several days ago for the raffle also.

On 3/9/2017 at 6:18 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Cast iron ladle?   If so way too close to the melting point of copper.  But should have been fine for zinc.  How old were the pennies?

I didn't check, I just assumed that canadian pennies were made out of pot metal and so I got lazy. I'm not too broken up over it, since I'm getting around $140 for practically nothing, I was going to make a larger ladle out of some 8 gauge sheet any how the old one was rusting apart.

Nothing for me today. A fine Sunday, lots of visitors to the forge and I'm sitting here in great discomfort playing on the computer. Another back spasm - pain injections and limited movement. GRRRRRR.

24 minutes ago, ausfire said:

Nothing for me today. A fine Sunday, lots of visitors to the forge and I'm sitting here in great discomfort playing on the computer. Another back spasm - pain injections and limited movement. GRRRRRR.

Really sorry to hear Aus. Heal up soon. I haven't been in my shop for over a week. I caught a nasty bug that's been going around work. It's the worst I've ever had, and it's still clinging on. It's been killing me to not be getting anything done. 

3 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Really sorry to hear Aus. Heal up soon. I haven't been in my shop for over a week. I caught a nasty bug that's been going around work. It's the worst I've ever had, and it's still clinging on. It's been killing me to not be getting anything done. 

Hope you're better by Tuesday!

6 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Thanks Das. Yes, that's the worst part - not being able to do anything. Just shuffling round the forge thinking of all the things that could be made.

8 hours ago, ausfire said:

Sorry to hear about your back...is it disc, facet joint or muscle?

When I was on my back with a popped disc which damaged the sciatic nerve I found four things that helped...

Diclofenac-retard slow release anti inflammatory...ibu-profen wouldn't touch it.A marvellous Physiotherapist who manipulated my back a bit, but crucially showed me how it all worked mechanically and gave me the exercises I could do to get it better, regain and maintain my Lordosis and prevent it happening again. 

A back swing which is a table which holds you by the ankles and you cause it to swing backwards and can hang upside down Dracula style...I used to watch an evenings tv...you get used to the upside down picture rapidly!

A book entitled "Treat Your Own Back" by a New Zealander Robin McKenzie ISBN: 978-0-9876504-0-5

Underlying each of the good things was exercise and movement...sitting around or lying in bed was not the best.

I have been able to carry on working for the last 25 years since the disc damage even working heavier metal than before...I still have a slightly numb big toe and developed a strange gait but I have been almost entirely pain free.

I have also heard from my Physiotherapist that Sarah Keys has some very good back advice...she is based in Oz and has a lot of youtube videos and informative websites.

Basic rules I gleaned for backs...

Sit tall, stand tall, don't slump.

Working at the computer or over the bench or anvil, take a few seconds to straighten up and push you hips forward and arch your back the other way every now and then.

A few wimps push ups leaving your tummy on the ground is an even better way to arch your back.

Exercise to keep the spine flexible and supple...it spreads the load and the bend.

Never exercise into pain or discomfort.

Feet at shoulder width, heels on the ground, and bend your knees not your back when lifting. Prepare  somewhere to put it down before you pick it up.

Good luck. Hope some of that helps, Alan

The last two days I've been making a few revisions on my belt grinder.  I built it a few years ago but was unhappy with the way the drive shaft "bounced"...the bearings were too close together.  I took it apart, welded some 3" tube sections to the rear of the frame and mounted the bearings out where they should have been all along.  It runs right solidly now.  The whole grinder pivots 90 degrees on the two flange bearings mounted on the steel tube stand.  The basic design and some of the parts are from USA Knifemaker.

A few years back I made a few knives from 2" ball bearings (52100 steel).  Since I have an 88-lb Striker power hammer, forging a knife blank works well - the belt grinder forms the knife shape, I heat treat, do the final grind and attach the scales...that's one of my knives on the grinder table.

DSC01316.JPG

DSC01317.JPG

DSC01319.JPG

DSC01320.JPG

DSC01321.JPG

DSC01322.JPG

6 minutes ago, ausfire said:

Alan,

Thank you. Some wise advice on back care there.  I have taken note ... should have done so years ago. Things tend to catch up on you. Thanks for your concern.

Don't they just.

I celebrated my 40th birthday at the ABANA conference in Saint Luis Obispo. Lesley came over with me and she attended an early morning session on backs. The tutor/speaker mentioned that our backs are good to survive mistreatment for 40 years or so then they complain.

A month after we got back my back went!

But 25 years of (occasional and ill-disciplined) exercise have kept me upright and working ever since.

Alan

Only a few hours in the shop today.  Dropped the workbench 5 inches - it was sized to the previous owner, who has a good 12" on me.  That let me move the leg vice there comfortably, which is so much more solid than my previous 4x4 tubing stand.

Hacked out a couple more pair of calliper blanks to give me some filing to do the next few evenings.  I only just now noticed that I crossed up the pair - that will take another heat to sort out before I can start the finishing.

IMG_0779.thumb.JPG.ea28ca5eeaef8458e6845420fe512c22.JPGIMG_0788.thumb.JPG.8a4d66048e6c14b908407e55b56a497f.JPG

On 2017. 03. 11. at 9:20 PM, D.C. said:

Beautiful work Gergely! I Like the flowers.

On 2017. 03. 11. at 10:02 PM, bubba682 said:

Nice work Gergely

Thank you, guys!

Sunday went with the fair. And when my wife and I got back home the heating system of the house was all upside-down - so plus a couple hours of desperate running around.

I really enjoyed a nice sauna at the end of the day... :)

58c60e05d164b_201703hegyaljavasar.thumb.jpg.207ed79ed4c7c4c4ff644731a55e4316.jpg

58c60e072273d_201703hegyaljavasar2.jpg.thumb.jpg.925234a6cf033f8613f9c4095e9e9903.jpg

5 hours ago, ausfire said:

Alan,

Thank you. Some wise advice on back care there.  I have taken note ... should have done so years ago. Things tend to catch up on you. Thanks for your concern.

Be well soon, Aus! 

Bests:

Gergely

Cleaned out my tool storage closet at the Casita and hand drilled into the concrete block walls, egg beater drill!, two places to mount bolts so I can have a curtain on the window on the west wall of my bedroom. Used a carbide masonry bit; but sure wished my electric drill was down here this weekend...

I did sneak out and fire up the forge and do a couple of small projects before dark---chili pepper and a bottle opener working on the bottle opener having pink cat ears and got to thinking of doing the entire thing as a variation of the Women's Liberation symbol...got to plan some time to experiment on that...

The chili peppers sell well as Christmas tree ornaments and pay for the propane used. I like an "easy" project to pay for the time I spend experimenting and perhaps increasing the scrap pile...

7 hours ago, Gergely said:

Thank you, guys!

Sunday went with the fair. And when my wife and I got back home the heating system of the house was all upside-down - so plus a couple hours of desperate running around.

I really enjoyed a nice sauna at the end of the day... :)

Be well soon, Aus! 

Bests:

Gergely

Thank you, Gergely.

Nice array of wares there. Those nail leaf hooks look familiar! Very handy portable set up you have, too, and I like the hand crafted table.

Your sign reminded me that we had a visitor to my forge from Hungary a few days ago. I have a chalkboard above my forge  where visitors can write the word Blacksmith in their language. Kovacs I think, from memory, with an accent mark over the a.

Those nail leaf hooks look familiar!

They do, don't they? I made the left one on site - people liked to see how the big nail transforms.

Very handy portable set up you have, too, and I like the hand crafted table.

Your sign reminded me that we had a visitor to my forge from Hungary a few days ago. I have a chalkboard above my forge  where visitors can write the word Blacksmith in their language. Kovacs I think, from memory, with an accent mark over the a.

I really need a lighter/dismountable forge instead of this one. It weighs around 80 kg-s and I'm a bit tired to take it back and forth.

I like that table, too, It had lots of working hours in it, and even I may be capable to make a better version I don't want to discard this one.

Yes, kovács is the word. Pronounced as covatch, if co pronounces as in the beginning of: coin or co-worker, and the a pronounces as in far. It was borrowed from slavic languages about 600-800 years ago. Before that blacksmith was called 'ironbeater' or 'beater'. 

Bests:

Gergely