• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Played around with squaring up some 5/16" round bar.  I tried some stick handles on them and didn't really like the look.  I can see how some folks might like the look, but since the glue I tried only turned to rubber and wouldn't actually hold the pieces together, I'm searching for a different look.

IMG_5117.thumb.jpg.5b507b6367953aef4f784ec86489f5c8.jpgIMG_5139.thumb.jpg.f1075a2e5ff6a87362baaf0103d1e12b.jpg

This is what Pat and I did Saturday. This is #4 of the Association of Alaskan Blacksmiths grinder build. I jokingly call it my Zombie Grinder because it started life as a Rockwell 2" x 48" belt grinder. I thought it'd be good for making knives but anything longer than about 6" hits the guard on the wheel on the other end of the motor. Yeah boys and girls I started buying tools and equipment without knowing what I  needed. Anyway this is it's resurrected self, underpowered by bladesmith standards but I'm not a bladesmith guy, I need good access to the belt and here it is.

It's only maybe 90% finished even if it does make sparks now, it needs a tool rest, trimming, sharp edges and corners cleaned up and a proper paint job in Frosty's shop colors. I still haven't decided where to put my Zombie lovely she's sitting out of the weather and Deb's SUV. Pic #1 is in the car and pic #2 is resting on a freebie washing machine Deb plans on using . . . someday but I have this great big shop so what's the harm eh? :rolleyes:

Anywho, that's what Frosty and Pat did Saturday.

Frosty The Lucky.

58b34d3c660de_NewGrinder01.jpg.1bc1b7c058a7ff2f8abfba7d643d0e94.jpg   58b34d50c8f06_NewGrinder02.jpg.42a18f1b26c4c7a8d893ed7873664364.jpg

Started on a new square punch today and got the eye of center, which was aggravating, but I think its still salvageable.

JHCC, we think in similar circles, I just made a side draft for my JABOD, trying to avoid the smoke was...impossible. I need to get longer legs put on it next, its just a tad to low to be comfortable.  

I actually didn't spend much time in the shop today. Instead I went to a local gun and knife show scoping out the competition. I still have this crazy idea I might be able to make a few knives and make some money on them. I was surprised to find there was three booths with makers selling. I also learned that some people don't know when to stop and when to keep going. I could go on and on being critical of these guys work but since it's a safe bet they've made far more than I this would be a good time to shut my mouth and be respectful. I do plan on having a booth next year if all goes well.

Well, I started shaping some blades, tried out and bought an anvil for a friend that is serious about starting out ( it's a no name 100# cast steel that feels and sounds like a vulcan but it will work and the price is right.) Made him a hot cut hardy to fit the hardy hole, shaped one cable welded blade some more (Thanks again Bearded Guy) and heated and hardened it. it is in the oven now tempering. And talked with the friend working on my website. Now I wind down and deal with the work week ahead.....

5 hours ago, Bearded Guy said:

Frosty, that grinder is alot purdier than mine.... im diggin it. I didnt bother to even paint mine or clean the rust off the scrap i built it from....

Seeing as it was a club build we bought in quantity got a club discount too so it's all new steel and parts. Except the old Rockwell belt grinder parts I used. Anyway, the cost to members ran right at $350.00 a copy, the motors are 2hp. so they have plenty of beans. Mine is only a half horse but I'm not doing heavy grinding so it's plenty for now.

When I suggested we could paint them club colors I got blank looks so I asked if we had club colors. Pat said, rust and dirt. AAB club colors are rust and dirt! :) 

Drop on by and use my grinder anytime Das.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, while we are talking about grinders:

Installed this small beauty last week.

58b47db8ccb58_201702ifigrinder.thumb.jpg.b3029308559b2fed4463e92ccd77c364.jpg

I'm no knife guy, but it needed some play around time as a welcome. So after cleaning and re-sturcturing my big piles of useless scrap valuable raw material, I decided to make my long planned utility knife. It's a modified karambit style, all steel version. Starting stock was 7mm / 1/4" thick flat from some sort of wood chipper. It's pretty tough to forge, air hardens a bit, but still quenching it in water worked quite good to get it awfully hard and tough. 

I only had the one belt that came with the grinder :) so it's done with that. The result is not very beautiful - I know - but it fits perfectly in my hand and the proportions are exactly as I planned. - So I'm happy.

58b47dccdf777_201702karambitmod.thumb.jpg.494ee1d6bea5aced909176a50312ab33.jpg

Bests:

Gergely

Your belt grinder is very much like the one I cannabalized to make my new one. The only thing wrong with mine was trying to grind anything very long, it'd hit the motor or bringing wheel guard.  Excellent grinder though, mine served me well for probably 35 years before I resurrected it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Finished up this shepards hook plant hanger. Finally got the rivets by drilling through angle iron, worked perfectly but I still destroyed any brass I tried. Went with steel rivets instead and at this point I'm chalking up the brass failure as inexperience- even when I tried smashing it hard using as few blows as possible as you suggested frosty, the head always sheared off.

IMG_20170226_191727.jpg

IMG_20170226_171159453.jpg

I kludged together a holder for my hot chisel Saturday and used rivets made from nails; had some nice 20 penny nails from a truckload of dunnage block firewood.  I would stick the wood blocks in the postvise and then use a crowbar to pull the nails out and throw them in a kitty litter bucket.  Makes great cheap rivets, just cut to size, insert and hammer the other head into existence.  (Old SCA armour making trick...)

Tried to make another pair of these dividers.

I think I now understand why Peter Ross cuts the folded portion off the bar before welding - on both my attempts the leaf adjacent the bar wound up too beefy, throwing the hinge off-kilter.  I also mis-guestimated the center when I folded, and had to thin one of the leaves too much to match up - compromising how much stock I had left after welding. Next time I'll measure.  Plus the weld didn't go as smoothly - probably because the section was thinner than my last pair.

I didn't bother finishing them; I'll try again tomorrow.  In all, these are a great way to wind down for an hour after work.

Is there a project logs section on this site?  Oh, this looks like it.  I'll start myself a thread ;-)

Flux.

C5naaHFWYAI9icG.jpg

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

snip... had some nice 20 penny nails snip...

What are 20 penny nails? I have seen reference to ~ penny nails before. We normally go by the length and style (flat head, oval, panel pin, clout, roofing nail etc.) and sometimes include the diameter. 

Alan

3 minutes ago, Alan Evans said:

What are 20 penny nails? I have seen reference to ~ penny nails before. We normally go by the length and style (flat head, oval, panel pin, clout, roofing nail etc.) and sometimes include the diameter. 

Alan

It's for the sizing of common nails:

"In current usage in the United States, a 2d nail is 1 inch long. Each 1d increase is ¼ inch increase in length up to 10d followed by a 12d which is 3¼″ long. A sixteen-penny nail is a ¼ inch longer than 12d, and the remaining sizes, beginning with 20d, are multiples of 10 and are each ½ inch longer than the preceding size."

(source)

On 2/26/2017 at 3:01 PM, Frosty said:

This is what Pat and I did Saturday. This is #4 of the Association of Alaskan Blacksmiths grinder build. I jokingly call it my Zombie Grinder because it started life as a Rockwell 2" x 48" belt grinder. I thought it'd be good for making knives but anything longer than about 6" hits the guard on the wheel on the other end of the motor. Yeah boys and girls I started buying tools and equipment without knowing what I  needed. Anyway this is it's resurrected self, underpowered by bladesmith standards but I'm not a bladesmith guy, I need good access to the belt and here it is.

It's only maybe 90% finished even if it does make sparks now, it needs a tool rest, trimming, sharp edges and corners cleaned up and a proper paint job in Frosty's shop colors. I still haven't decided where to put my Zombie lovely she's sitting out of the weather and Deb's SUV. Pic #1 is in the car and pic #2 is resting on a freebie washing machine Deb plans on using . . . someday but I have this great big shop so what's the harm eh? :rolleyes:

Anywho, that's what Frosty and Pat did Saturday.

Frosty The Lucky.

58b34d3c660de_NewGrinder01.jpg.1bc1b7c058a7ff2f8abfba7d643d0e94.jpg   58b34d50c8f06_NewGrinder02.jpg.42a18f1b26c4c7a8d893ed7873664364.jpg

That's a sweet grinder, wish I had one like it.  I like the double tool arm setup.  

8 hours ago, flux_lalonde said:

Tried to make another pair of these dividers.

I think I now understand why Peter Ross cuts the folded portion off the bar before welding - on both my attempts the leaf adjacent the bar wound up too beefy, throwing the hinge off-kilter.  I also mis-guestimated the center when I folded, and had to thin one of the leaves too much to match up - compromising how much stock I had left after welding. Next time I'll measure.  Plus the weld didn't go as smoothly - probably because the section was thinner than my last pair.

I didn't bother finishing them; I'll try again tomorrow.  In all, these are a great way to wind down for an hour after work.

Is there a project logs section on this site?  Oh, this looks like it.  I'll start myself a thread ;-)

Flux.

C5naaHFWYAI9icG.jpg

Nice job.  I bought that dvd a while back but haven't gotten to watch it yet.  I did make a socket chisel from one of his other videos, though.  

10 hours ago, JHCC said:

It's for the sizing of common nails:

"In current usage in the United States, a 2d nail is 1 inch long. Each 1d increase is ¼ inch increase in length up to 10d followed by a 12d which is 3¼″ long. A sixteen-penny nail is a ¼ inch longer than 12d, and the remaining sizes, beginning with 20d, are multiples of 10 and are each ½ inch longer than the preceding size."

(source)

Thank you for the link, I have managed to delay lighting the furnace for another hour and a half following through the ongoing links!

I didn't spot the delightfully poetic Northumbrian/Cumbrian shepherd's counting system in it...which I still vaguely remember from a song by Jake Thackeray learned in my teens fifty years ago...Yan Tan Tether Mether Pip, Aysa Saysa Acka Conta Dick, Yan-a-dick Tan-a-dick Tether-a- Mether-a- Bumfit, Yan-a Bum Tan-a-Bum Tether-a-Bum Mether-a-Bum Jiggit...on Jiggit a pebble was passed from right to left hand...

I did realise it was the nail sizing system, my query was partially to flag up that it did not give some of the forum members a general idea of the size being described...and not just "look this up on google for me"!

Alan

3 hours ago, bobasaurus said:

Nice job.  I bought that dvd a while back but haven't gotten to watch it yet.  I did make a socket chisel from one of his other videos, though.  

I'm convincing myself to buy the DVD - I just don't have many devices left around the house that can play one. Wish I could stream it.

I've been going off the youtube demo, and it's a little lacking, pedagogically.

Flux