• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Comission work, first part: 10 flower heads out of 90. They need final shaping/bending and texturing the central area. I was a bit afraid of this work, but finally it went quick and good. Still no gas forge so I stacked 3 of them in the coal fire. That way I could work continously under the power hammer. These are around 5" / 130mm dia, made from 100 mm / 4" dia 6mm/ 1/4" thick plate.

58b63df161d5a_201702ltviragok10db.thumb.jpg.3a06d7e6cb5816fdfab7137b52c72e2b.jpg

Hot use texturing punch for the flower work. (But it's heat treated very seriously, so maybe I try to get the job done cold.) 20mm / 3/4" dia unknown tool steel. Oil quenched.

58b63e1bd36e5_201702ifipunch.thumb.jpg.216bec6f397b1078ab928a1b0c34003c.jpg

Two hooks for my angle grinders - I've tired to keep them on the bench or the floor. 8 mm square, power hammer practice work :) 

58b63e287d6d0_201702flexakasztok.thumb.jpg.1b7c2d6230e811e8decd31c5613523bb.jpg

Bests:

Gergely

23 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

"You can lead a child to knowledge; but you can't make them think"

Sure you can but they put you in jail for playing stick quiz now days.

About the double arm on the grinder. I'm still out on how I'm going to make my tool rest. I have to role play it but I think I'm going to make one that swings on an arm so I can use it either on the platten or on the top roller so I can hollow grind accurately. Like I say I'm still thinking about rests. Whatever I end up with it has to get out of the way easily to change belts, one turn of a wrench or dedicated handle easy.

Frosty The Lucky.

20 hours ago, wonkydog said:

I figure after a few hundred more I might get good at them

looking at the pictures, it looks as if the nails also may be getting stuck in the header. One thing you could do if this is an issue, is flip it over, and drill about half way, that way there is less contact with the shank, and so they should come out easier.

Made a swage for making tea light candle holders. Thanks Amhas for posting this idea!

IMG_5851[1].JPG

IMG_5852[1].JPG

Funny thing is, that last night I had a dream about using a forge similar to that one, except it was bottom blast.

Littleblacksmith

So far, today has been tool repair day.  I spent a few hours yesterday making a handle for my 3# cross-peen and thought I'd take some time to re-dress the faces.  This is probably my favorite hammer for general work, so it gets used a lot!

Now I just have to wait for the glue to dry and I can start shaping the handle a bit.  I prefer beefy handles so there won't be much shaping to this one.IMG_5221.thumb.JPG.12b43fe0231f9700bd342f03aee937f8.JPGIMG_5222.thumb.JPG.c6280d98d64354d97027ca5c70f63c38.JPG

2 minutes ago, VaughnT said:

So far, today has been tool repair day.  I spent a few hours yesterday making a handle for my 3# cross-peen and thought I'd take some time to re-dress the faces.  This is probably my favorite hammer for general work, so it gets used a lot!

Now I just have to wait for the glue to dry and I can start shaping the handle a bit.  I prefer beefy handles so there won't be much shaping to this one.

What kind of glue are you using?