I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

11 minutes ago, JHCC said:

What kind of glue are you using?

I like gorilla glue because it swells to fill the little voids between the wood and metal.  It might not help things, in the grand scheme of things, but it makes me feel better.  With the glue in there holding the wedges and head to the handle, I can say that I've done everything in my power to get a good bond.  Once the glue has had 24hrs to firm up, I'll get that nasty polyurethane off the wood and give it a nice rub with some thinned down oil.

• Replies 26.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, VaughnT said:

I like gorilla glue because it swells to fill the little voids between the wood and metal.  It might not help things, in the grand scheme of things, but it makes me feel better.  With the glue in there holding the wedges and head to the handle, I can say that I've done everything in my power to get a good bond.  Once the glue has had 24hrs to firm up, I'll get that nasty polyurethane off the wood and give it a nice rub with some thinned down oil.

Sounds good. I've got one 6-ish pounder with a wrought iron head held on with Shoe-Goo, and that's working great.

How about in the shop this week rather than just today?  1,000 holes, 750 countersinks, 250 bends, 250 welds on stair balusters then some heavy forging of 1 1/2" by 4" for some big clapper dies for the newell posts.  This is just one of the batches.  IMG_1463.thumb.jpg.62d17766eecab7522ed4c8079c4bd73f.jpgIMG_1465.thumb.jpg.f1e13561fc3caaa5877a67ec50000d18.jpgIMG_1466.thumb.jpg.e7648e159ee415cc26279ddb2f6da6b1.jpg

2 hours ago, Judson Yaggy said:

How about in the shop this week rather than just today?  1,000 holes, 750 countersinks, 250 bends, 250 welds on stair balusters then some heavy forging of 1 1/2" by 4" for some big clapper dies for the newell posts.  This is just one of the batches.  

Sounds pretty cool and well organized!

I worked on this french easel:

58b8ed2567b7d_201703tablaallvany12.thumb.jpg.ed709673b4d5e533f0db6cba970eac8e.jpg58b8ed33b8d40_201703tablaallvany5.thumb.jpg.ad73ffc5808e69978b02673a29bc6f18.jpg58b8ed389a358_201703tablaallvany7.thumb.jpg.5c47ad7114954a52168574e410ab69a4.jpg58b8ed41d933d_201703tablaallvany9.thumb.jpg.c55fef4da0fa49d7f39e119bcd0c136d.jpg58b8ed465468e_201703tablaallvany11.thumb.jpg.56226d75ac3a2283a7eaf4df1425150c.jpg

On 3/1/2017 at 10:09 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Just as well; I shudder to think how many teachers would be suffering from RSI from quizzing a lot of us!

Yeah, I wonder how many would answer wrong just to get whacked with the stick?  Then again I don't have anything fundamentally against giving teachers a little RSI. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, I burned myself... but only once, made my first leaves (including a beech leaf), made a hanging hook for my leather apron from a rail spike, and met up with the local smithing group.  Oh, did I say I learned a lot?  Unfortunately I don't have any pics just now.

I tried a basket twist for the first time. I have always wanted to try one since I started a little over a year ago. It's not perfect by any stretch, but I think my wife will enjoy hanging a plant from it.

IMG_0956.JPG

3 hours ago, beech said:

Well, I burned myself... but only once, made my first leaves (including a beech leaf), made a hanging hook for my leather apron from a rail spike, and met up with the local smithing group.  Oh, did I say I learned a lot?  Unfortunately I don't have any pics just now.

Hey Beech....Would that be  The Covered Bridge Group?          Dave

1 hour ago, CWest said:

I tried a basket twist for the first time. I have always wanted to try one since I started a little over a year ago. It's not perfect by any stretch, but I think my wife will enjoy hanging a plant from it.

pretty good

lit the forge the other evening. Had a little time and forged 7 leaves. Three of which I made into key chains. The others are for another project. And a day before i forged some tea light holders using the swage featured in a previous comment. Thanks David Kailey and Jim Coke for a couple of the ideas i used for the tea light holders. In all they took me maybe about 2 and 1/2 hours. I'm waiting to get my touch mark back, because I left it in a friends truck, and he still has to ship it too me. once I do that ill wire wheel 'em and put on some clear coat.

That one leaf key chain on the very right, it took me a day to figure out what was wrong with it and why I didn't like it. I finally realize it was because the little curl at the end was going the wrong way! ok, maybe there isn't a wrong way, but it just wasn't going the way that i was wanting it to go.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_5868[1].JPG

IMG_5866[1].JPG

No shop for me but I finally went to Mexico to get the wreckage of my bridge that broke last fall/seizure dealt with. Dentist decided to put a post in the tooth root and re build the bridge rather than pulling the roots and waiting for it to heal. My wife drove me there and back and then told me to take the pain med and zonk out.

Today was mostly copper - did a workshop with Sandra Dunn here in Kitchener.  There was a little bit of obligatory smithing, see if you can spot it.

misc.thumb.jpg.01f5255a1013e1752f956ac6058782c8.jpgbowl.thumb.jpg.f24a9f554b4fce6ae1a7068ff50bf489.jpg

Raised the bowl (I call it Cain), and had to make a stake I could planish it against. 

joinery.thumb.jpg.bc66c9545393ce49cf8dab23df92272b.jpg

A little joiner exercise - I got to play with patina colors a bit.

Sandra's a great teacher - 7 of us in the workshop, and we all got piles of well-targeted, well-leveled direction.

Flux.

20 hours ago, iamjoe said:

Finished the handel on my first knife and planted a tree and made a baby blanket. 

20170304_194620.jpg

20170304_194551.jpg

20170304_194544.jpg

Nice, Joe.  I love a practical knife.

Flux.

23 hours ago, CWest said:

Pretty nice basket twist C, they're not the easiest you know. If you open it enough to slip a marble in it'll dress up a plant hanger nicely. You can get solid color marbles in the notions department for flower vases, fish bowls and such. I see them at yard, garage, etc. sales for next to nothing pretty often. 

I'm not sure what the decorative glass balls are made from but if you get them too hot slumping they lose their colors unlike good old fashioned playing marbles.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, getting ready for a fair i have comeing up. Made a snail, made a fire steel for my uncle out of a file that i found at there property that turned out to be a high carbon wrought iron. Also made another fire steel out of a sliver of lawn mower blade i had lying around. I first saw if it would harden, and after a dunk in oil it snapped in the vice. But, after i forged the fire steel, I hardened it, but I guess it wasn't hard enough even after water because it wouldn't throw off sparks. also made a dinner bell. I learned a bit from that. at the top of the bell I forged a leaf, and had it wrapping around the triangle. Then on the other end of the bar I forged a long taper and had it wrap around the triangle. Well, that dampened it to the point that it didn't ring. I will re heat it in the forge and keep it wrapped around, but not so tight that it is touching the triangle and dampening it.

Littleblacksmith