• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank ya'll very much, I hope to meat all ya'll some day. man, i would pay people to hang out in the shop. I really enjoy blacksmithing with others. I'm not much of a people person, but I will talk your ear off about blacksmithing if you even mention anything about steel, knives, coal, forges, anything that I could possibly relate to blacksmithing!

I'm 14 turning 15 this year.

yeah, it really is amazing how attached you get to them. And man, she used to shed like crazy. My dad even shed a few tears for her which I have never seen him cry until then.

I think that this week is just going to be one of those weeks. Today we had one of the four STARR test. basically a 4 hour long test that determines weather or not you move on to the next grade. today was math, tomorrow is reading, then science and history are later in the month.  weather won't be the greatest; rain.

time to go finish that hot cut.

Littleblacksmith

I really wish more people used there hands for more than texting.

Yes sir!

I didn't get around to lighting the forge, mothers orders, ya'll know how that goes.:unsure:

Here is the pattern welded steel I forged last weekend. I'm not the most pleased with it. I did do a cub twist and folded it over, but the pattern looks as if i never did even fold it.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6022[1].JPG

IMG_6023[1].JPG

Pm sent! Thank you!

Littleblacksmith                                                                                      

Mark, you are an inspiration to smiths, young and old.  You do beautiful work.

Sorry for the loss of your dog....BTW, tears have no age limit ;)  You'd be surprised how many old dads sneak off in a dark room and shed a few when no one is looking.

Back is still a bit dodgy, so restricting my demos to the light stuff for now. I call these bottle openers spaghetti twists. I have found that people like watching twists - ordinary barley twists, pineapple twists, cubes, whatever.

Also forged a couple of snakes from rusty old 3/8 all-thread. No zinc left. Getting better at the heads now - a centre point in the eye and a slight depression over the eye socket gives the mean look of a taipan. Kids like watching snakes forged. They come alive with a hiss in the quench tub.

spaghetti twists.JPG

snake heads.JPG

Started forging out some bolt jaw tongs for C-1.

Then had a friend come over and he hung out for a while. He had been having trouble forge welding, so we made a coal rake. we made it out of 3/8" round, and so for the rake end to have enough material to spread for the blade we folded it over and did a forge weld. then we made a round punch and a chisel 'cause he didn't have any.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6031[1].JPG

IMG_6029[1].JPG

This link is as much for Bubba as Matt or heck anybody who's lost a four legged family member. Bubba describes the close side of the Rainbow bridge. I don't know what's to come so I choose to believe this one, I'll be the guy having a giant party with scores of dogs, cats and horses. It'll be loud joyous and everybody's welcome.

http://www.rainbowbridge.com/Poem.htm

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks frosty.

my mom was looking at dogs that are up for adoption, and came across one named "striker". I couldn't convince her. I've been needing a striker.....

Littleblacksmith 

58 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

Thanks frosty.

my mom was looking at dogs that are up for adoption, and came across one named "striker". I couldn't convince her. I've been needing a striker.....

Littleblacksmith 

Oh yeah, rescue a dog! Rescue dogs never forget, NEVER. I like mutts too, fewer health issues, live longer generally smarter, it's the whole hybrid vigor thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

In the Black Country, the home of chain and nail making industries, the blacksmiths all kept Staffordshire Bull Terriers as fighting dogs...the breed became known as the blacksmiths' dog. The family I stayed with when training had one and it was amazing how it could lie on the hearthstone of their inglenook fireplace with its feet almost in the fire.

The Staffys also gave rise to the old Black Country chestnut, which sounds best in the dialect....

"I've got a blacksmiths' dog"

"How do you know it's a Blacksmiths' dog?"

"Well if you kick it up the backside, it will make a bolt for the door!"

Alan

Lily had been a stray, walked up our driveway. We found out who owned her. They didn't want her because she had gotten hit by a tractor, and they said they don't want a dog that isn't smart enough to move out of the way. In the 11 years we had her I never experienced her even resembling dumb, just a limp.

Littleblacksmith 

That's pretty crappy dog ownership, but the good news is that she ended up with you. So sorry for your loss. 

And returning to the original subject of the thread, this was yesterday's work: converting a vacuum cleaner into a forge blower.

IMG_2522.JPG

And here it is, ready to go. The styrofoam, fiberglass insulation, and steel box (scavenged from an Omaha Steaks delivery, a friend's remodeling project, and the grocery store parking lot, respectively) bring down the noise level by about 15db, from 97 to 82. A bit more noisy (by 6-7db) than the old shop vac, but more compact and out of the way. Plus, now I can use the shop vac in, you know, the shop. 

IMG_2523.JPG