• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did some finishing work on the dividers I started on the weekend.  I'm impressed at how much the cold work frees up the action to work better - it makes sense, given how much material around the hinge gets filed away.  These are good enough for me to use in the shop.  I've got another pair set up to finish tomorrow evening, which I think will be a bit better than this one.

I've also noticed that I have nowhere near the assortment of files I need to do this properly.  Anyone have a decent "set" they can recommend for basic bench work?

Flux.

C61hWBQWgAAUG2z.thumb.jpg.b2ef2460447fab1d03751c46b2573dd8.jpg

4 hours ago, Gergely said:

Early morning job: the longest taper I've made yet. It goes from 48mm / ~2" to 18mm /~ 3/4" width on a 1400mm/4,7' long stock. Thickness decreases in the opposite direction.

No idea what this is for, but it's very cool.

This was all done the past three days. some snakes, one rattler coiled up, tried my first crane, first basket twist, made a toilet paper holder, some feather key chains, bull dog coat hook, those weed puller thingys that no one knows the name of, a couple plant hangers, s hooks, coat hooks, snails, and some other stuff! like they say, pictures are worth a thousand words, so here they are! or was it a million...

IMG_5912[1].JPG

IMG_5914[1].JPG

IMG_5915[1].JPG

IMG_5916[1].JPG

IMG_5917[1].JPG

IMG_5918[1].JPG

IMG_5919[1].JPG

IMG_5921[1].JPG

IMG_5923[1].JPG

IMG_5924[1].JPG

IMG_5926[1].JPG

most of the stuff above has not been finished; most still need a finish.

Littleblacksmith

LBS - Nice output of work! Your rattlesnake made me think of a paper towel holder. Make the tail go straight up a bit taller so the rattle would just stick out the top of the paper towel roll, and maybe bring the head up a little to act as the (whatever the tear off edge stop thing would be called).

EJ - those stick welders are "fun" LOL As long as the welds will hold, I figure that's what angle grinders were made for.

Me - I just continued work on converting my kiln to digital control.

You guys are making me feel old and lazy! Nice out put LBS some really nice pieces. I looked a couple ties but can't find a pic of the business end of the weed puller thingies. may I get a look please?

It looks like you're following the same or similar plans to make a 2" x 72" belt grinder. It was surprisingly easy to build and works a treat. There were a few LITTLE issues that needed some tweaking. The most annoying but easy to correct was the play in the telescoping sq. tubing. We shimmed it with thin plastic one of the El. Cheapo flimsy plastic cutting boards work a treat. It's UMHW plastic so it's plenty tough.

I'm still doing the fiddly bits on mine.

Frosty The Lucky.

24 minutes ago, Frosty said:

It looks like you're following the same or similar plans to make a 2" x 72" belt grinder. It was surprisingly easy to build and works a treat. There were a few LITTLE issues that needed some tweaking. The most annoying but easy to correct was the play in the telescoping sq. tubing. We shimmed it with thin plastic one of the El. Cheapo flimsy plastic cutting boards work a treat. It's UMHW plastic so it's plenty tough.

I'm still doing the fiddly bits on mine.

I'm sorta following a friend's design. He hasn't finished his yet. So i followed his design that he made up, While using another set of plans to get the size of pieces "correct".

Could I see your grinder and maybe the plans too? :lol:

22 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

This was all done the past three days. some snakes, one rattler coiled up, tried my first crane, first basket twist, made a toilet paper holder, some feather key chains, bull dog coat hook, those weed puller thingys that no one knows the name of, a couple plant hangers, s hooks, coat hooks, snails, and some other stuff! like they say, pictures are worth a thousand words, so here they are! or was it a million...

IMG_5912[1].JPG

IMG_5914[1].JPG

IMG_5915[1].JPG

IMG_5916[1].JPG

IMG_5917[1].JPG

IMG_5918[1].JPG

IMG_5919[1].JPG

IMG_5921[1].JPG

IMG_5923[1].JPG

IMG_5924[1].JPG

IMG_5926[1].JPG

most of the stuff above has not been finished; most still need a finish.

Littleblacksmith

Lbs i like your plant hanger think im a gonna make a couple myself also nice work man

1 minute ago, bubba682 said:

Lbs i like your plant hanger think im a gonna make a couple myself also nice work man

Thanks man! It is a bit hard to tell in the picture, but it is textured. I'll see if I can get some pics when I'm back home, and also show you the texturing tool if you'd like me to. They sell well. Be sure to share pics when you're done, I'd love to see them!

also frosty, I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow. 

Thanks everybody! Let me know if anybody Wants to see any other pictures.

Littleblacksmith 

3 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

Thanks man! It is a bit hard to tell in the picture, but it is textured. I'll see if I can get some pics when I'm back home, and also show you the texturing tool if you'd like me to. They sell well. Be sure to share pics when you're done, I'd love to see them!

also frosty, I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow. 

Thanks everybody! Let me know if anybody Wants to see any other pictures.

Littleblacksmith 

I wood like to see the texturing tool i got an old hammer i was goin to turn into one

8 hours ago, EJRailRoadTrack said:

I'm sorta following a friend's design. He hasn't finished his yet. So i followed his design that he made up, While using another set of plans to get the size of pieces "correct".

Could I see your grinder and maybe the plans too? :lol:

This is my new grinder. Look familiar? I can't post a link to the "plans" they're part of a commercial site and not terribly good plans, more of a built on a blog thing. It was pretty confusing where a good dimensioned drawing would be a snap.

I cannibalized my old Rockwell 2" x 48" belt grinder for the motor but I'm afraid 1/2 hp is just too little. I have all it's parts, it's stand is still vacant and I think I have a minimum 1hp motor lined up. Hard to have too many belt grinders eh? ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

58cb75f1cd7d6_NewGrinder02.jpg.6c352740d11a2e9770aae6acf8bdf92f.jpg

13 hours ago, bubba682 said:

bubba682, when you quote a post with pictures, please delete the pictures themselves unless you have a specific question about a detail that is better shown than described. Reposting pictures unnecessarily eats up bandwidth. Thanks!