Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice bracelet Vulpine.

Wishing everyone a happy holiday season, stay safe and warm.

I've been on a job the last couple of weeks and away from the forge, was able to fire it up this weekend and finished the last 5 tomahawks,that were on order, and made a kiridashi for my son in law, that has started woodworking. My first knife shaped object, I used it to cut out the leather sheath and I was very impressed with the way it performed. I will be making another on for my use.

IMG_1407.thumb.jpg.3123e0ab145d22e8a2c722cff3ccb6d8.jpg

516759235_KiridashiIMG_1408.thumb.jpg.c67d9b03185652f69dded5cf91d2ac9e.jpg

Nice bracelet Vulpine, it's very attractive, I like it. 

Blame the cold on the North Polians, they're sucking the warm air off the Pacific and returning it down the central plains to the Gulf of Mexico. We're getting chilled here too, it hasn't been above zero since the snow storms a couple weeks ago. If were lucky we'll have a high of 11f Christmas day! Woo HOO it'll actually be warm inside my extra thick clothes!

It's getting harder to take the cold, even this mild. I used to spend 24/7 in the field sometimes down to -40f and while not fun it wasn't so bad. Now I'm feeling chilled in the living room wearing a sweat shirt and a Polar Fleece throw blanket over my lap and legs. Funny what 50 years does to your perspective.

Tell us Billy, with the cold blast you're getting do we change your moniker from Oklahoma Billy to something more in keeping with the season say, Chilly Billy?

In all seriousness I feel for anybody who's cold and more so for you guys not equipped for it. The temperature is just a number, if you are cold, you ARE COLD, Period dot. More people die from exposure in temps ranging from 60f-45f than they do at sub zero, it's too easy to underestimate how quickly you lose body heat. Hypothermia is debilitating you stop thinking clearly, lose coordination and just no fun. Been there too  many times myself.

Stay warm everybody, if I find the freezer door I'll see it's locked this time.

Frosty The Lucky.

Les, I really like that kiridashi. I'm not generally inclined to make knives, but I could use something similar for marking and layout. It might be time to bust out some coil spring and give it a shot. I like the leather work too.

This morning I knocked out some last minute stocking-stuffers. Bottle openers are made from size 140 roller chain links. The icicle ornaments were finicky; it's hard to get a consistent twist with the taper and change in cross-sectional shape. I think they'll be well-received though.

ornaments etc_small.jpg

I’ve been thinking of making a raising stake out of a short piece of lightweight rail I had kicking around. This evening, I torched out the basic shape:

37B2D9A8-A2B2-481A-A8E9-29DA872FD884.thumb.jpeg.8138f57740829a00426a412a61a40213.jpeg

This is designed to sit in the vise and get a little more support from the tops of the jaws:

710477E0-86CA-4081-BB06-E9C101422980.thumb.jpeg.13a80560d93bf4dc34c4e6f0f52178e7.jpeg

It needs a little fettling and some finish grinding, but then we should be good to go.

(Can I say once again how much I love the oxypropane torch? This thing is awesome.)

The finicky paid off Mothman. Those ornaments look nice. 

Those are great Duckwalk! 

I basically spent all my time tonight reducing 1/2" round mild steel to 1/4". Got about 10 inches done in 90 minutes. Oh, how I long for the day when I'm stronger and can handle the heavier hammers that would move the metal faster. And to think, I was going to use 3/4" (but didn't have any on hand). 

Anyhoo, a few days ago, I had fullered and notched the tiny jaw nib then began reducing behind the fuller. While reducing, I noticed a crack so I filed it out before continuing. Or at least I thought I had filed it out! Tonight - after 80 minutes of drawing out what will be the reins - that nib just went flying off the bar and right into the scrap metal bucket. Oooohkay then! So change of plans. Now that broke end is the tip of the reins and I cut off above what I'd already reduced to get a new 1" of thick stock. When the dangerous temps have passed, I'll head back out and hopefully get one half of the tongs finished, lol! 

wonderful work all,

so yesterday (Tuesday) we hit a low of -46C (-51F)  now on monday they are calling for about +5C(41F) so over 50(90) degrees difference in under a week

stay warm and keep the rigs plugged in

M.J.Lampert

ps i have a project with wood on the go wondering where I should put a thread on that i was thinking everything else if a mod wants to correct me please do

Edited by M.J.Lampert
ps

M.J. You could make a thread in "Member Projects" 

JHCC, How long did it take you to cut that shape with the torch?

All, Really nice work again! I haven't been able to forge the past couple weeks but this really gets me itching to find some time. I agree that the Kiridashi is looking really good. At some point I should make a nice marking knife too. For now I'm using a nice one I bought.

~Jobtiel

I peened the sword together the other day.   Everything is amazingly tight.  No epoxy,  no welding.  Just a peened tang.   Last night I grabbed a piece of leaf spring and made a chopper and a piece of 5/8ths square and split it to make. 1 piece basket twist handle for a grill fork I started.  Weather is going to be nasty so I bright some stuff inside to work on in the basement. 

14575.jpeg

20221221_192845.jpg

20221221_192856.jpg

Everyone's posting some great looking projects. My favorite part of the day is opening this post to see the new items and get some new ideas.

Mothman and Jobtiel1, thanks. That was the first time for me to use a kiridashi and I was impressed with how well it cuts and the comfort when using it. I've been using a knife that resembles the blade on a straight razor to cut my leather but, I will be using a kiridashi from now on because it was much easier and more accurate. 

7 hours ago, Jobtiel1 said:

JHCC, How long did it take you to cut that shape with the torch?

I wasn't timing myself, but it was just a few minutes. Maybe ten or fifteen, including repositioning? Not much more time than it took to set up the torch (including changing from the rosebud to the cutting tip and changing the nozzle from a #1 to a #0 (which in retrospect might have been a mistake, but everything still worked okay), light and adjust the flame, and shut down the rig afterwards), but a WHOLE LOT LESS than it would have been cutting it out with an angle grinder and cutting discs.

7 hours ago, Jobtiel1 said:
10 hours ago, M.J.Lampert said:

i have a project with wood on the go wondering where I should put a thread on that

M.J. You could make a thread in "Member Projects" 

I agree.

This massive winter storm is affecting a lot of people right now, I hope all y’all are staying safe a warm!!!

I know it’s pretty nasty here in peavine currently, temps dropped over 20 degrees in just a couple hours and still plummeting,

Winds are picking up and brutal, they say it’s gonna be -30F by nightfall,

Roads were flash freezing on me early this morning I was sliding all over 

been out here taking feed to all all the critters and checking water troughs, 

just got back here to the repair shop to get opened up for business,

7 hours ago, Chad J. said:

I peened the sword together the other day.

Good plan.  Swords were assembeled this way for centuries before the the invention of epoxy or electric or gas welders.  Over time you may need to repeen it if the wood of the grip dries and shrinks a little.  What kind of wood did you use?

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

13 minutes ago, Les L said:

windchill

Les

The wind chill is supposed to get that low tonight is what the radio keeps saying 

The ambient temperature right now at my shop is 7*F and the wind chill right now is -12

the low tonight here  is supposed to be -1 down to -4 which ain’t normal for peavine!!! Lol

i know I’ve got the wood stove running, a propane bottle top heater running and a milk house heater running in the shop and I can still see my breath in here and water bucket is starting to get some ice in it setting 3’ away from the propane heater! Lol

Just now, George N. M. said:

What kind of wood did you use?

I used hickory.   I had cut up a sledge hammer handle a while back.  I drilled it, then cleaned it out with a chisel I made for the task from a big allen wrench.  It took me forever to work on this but when I finally did it seems like my skills had grown enough to be more than equal the job.  Now it's finish sanding on the fuller and guard.  I May just stain the handle but it's a bit slick.  I'm leaning towards a leather wrap.

11 minutes ago, George N. M. said:

Currently it is -5 here and went down to around -20  last night.  Wind is blowing.  So, the wind chill is down there.  Not going to try to go out today unless absolutely necessary.  Those of you who are not used to this sort of weather:  Stay safe and be cautious.

GNM

Put it in celcius and that was last week in belgium. 

Now 10C and rain. Lots of rain. 

Here on the mountain it's -6° F ambient temp. with a wind chill of -29° F. Been snowing all morning with about 2 inches so far on the deck. The lowest we have ever seen, was in the early '80s with a -12° F.

Axle doesn't take his time like normal when going out, runs out makes yellow snow then goes under the deck and back inside to warm up in his house (crate) what a good dog.

Wish my dog was that motivated to be warm, lol

She LOVES the cold. So when it's like this - and can be dangerous to her paws quickly - we have to go outside with her so we can make sure she comes back inside in a reasonable time. Today, that reasonable time is 5 minutes because I heard on the news that these windchills can create frostbite conditions within 5 minutes of exposure.

I bring her in and within minutes, she's slapping her "outside" button again - or "walk" or "park" - and I'm like "N.O." lol