Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Glenn said:

baseball size snow balls stuck in the fur.  

She is that dog! We learned a trick last winter though. Apply conditioner to her underside, legs, and paws before she goes out. Viola! No more snowballs!

We also learned last year that she LOVES an oven-warmed towel (don't we all?) and once she learned the word "towel", it wasn't too hard to get her back inside.

Thomas, that is just dead wrong of them. 

Nice work All. 

In preparation for the single digits we are expecting in a few hours, I got the chickens heat lamp and heater on their waterer, brought in the hose reel, covered a few plants and left the air compressor in the shop off and drained. Dont have the energy left to bring in all the rattle cans so they are on their own in the shop. Also put a new battery in my car today since the last two years it needed jump started everytime the temps were in the teens. Put it off long enough. Anyway, it will probably be 3° when I leave for work tomorrow. Lucky for liz and the kids they have nowhere to be. Id sure rather sleep in on a cold miserable day. 

If you are in the path of this cold front in the US. or in cold regions, Stay warm everyone. 

No minions, that is a bummer. 

About 2" of snow right now, temps dropped quick, 15* is what i got right now. not sure about wind chill. suposed to get down to 1* with a -20* wind chill if i recall correctly. . Did get off work early, but that was just as things started getting bad. So not only was it wind and snow it was just at that point where there was still water but ice and snow as well. 4x4 about 30mph on roads i usually do 70 on. My front diff also seems to picked up a whine on acceleration, just great. 

Nice racks David, do you have smaller versions for the anvil and forge for ready tools? 

That's just not right Thomas, at least Hospice care will chip in on some Purina minion chow won't they?

Win is up here, we're under a blizzard warning till 8pm with winds averaging between 35-50 and gusts up to 65mph for our part of the Valley. So far today we have gusts of 61mph and Palmer about 25 miles East is getting gusts of 72. The air is compression warming it was 23 when I got up to let Baxter out at 3am but it's going down, it's 17 now, 6:30a. The predicted low is 5f tonight.

Weather this close to Cook Inlet and backed by the Susitna Valley a little to the NW is always entertaining. One of the "good" surprises is when we get north winds strong enough to overtop the Talkeetna mountains to the north. As it rolls down the slopes the pressure goes up when it hits the valley floor and it heats up due to compression. The ambient air temp in the Susitna valley is in the low single digits and high negatives. 

To all you folks not used to this kind of weather keep a full pantry and jugs of water in case of power outages and hunker down and ride it out. Don't go anywhere unless you HAVE TO. I've lived with this for 50 years and am not going anywhere till it breaks, I believe we have all the packages we're expecting and I have the Christmas feast covered. I don't plan on going farther than the wood shed about 100' for light sled loads.

I'm wondering how many of you folk living in the south will be getting wood stoves? There's nothing like having a warm parlor stove on a cold day, IR warms you to the bones better than warm air. I call ours a macro-wave heater.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks all.

Gewoon, the rails were cut and notched to sit on top/between the brackets, then welded in place. The tong rack brackets are 3/8” square stock with 1/4” x 3/4” rail. The hammer rack brackets are 1/2” square stock with two rails of 3/8” x 1” spaced 2” apart. (I can get closer pictures if you want, but my welds aren’t really worth looking at.)

Frosty, I have looped holders wedged in one the metal stand my Peter Wright anvil is on, but nothing setup for the wood stand that my Columbian anvil is on. I do most of my work on the Columbian and never developed a habit of using tool storage while forging. Often, my brush, tongs or hammer ends up 8ft away when changing operations. Then while re-heating I’m stumbling around try to find where I threw stuff. (I think some of the guys get quite a bit of entertainment just from that at our hammer-ins!)

Stay warm,

David

Our adiabatic winds tend to come from the NE off one or both of the ice fields that feed the Knik or Matanuska glaciers. Those tend to be cold.

I  made a steel topped 2' x 2' table years ago to hold my ready tools. I even made slip on hammer/tong racks to fit it. Those I use for things like top cuts, punches, etc. but the hammer racks on my anvil stand are handy right there. I stopped using the anvil stand tong racks and hang them on the forge where I need them most often. My might use it tongs are stored on the racks in the corner out of my way. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty and Thomas, I think you’re confusing “katabatic wind” (wind caused by the sinking of cold air; also spelled “catabatic”) with “adiabatic heating” (the process by which the temperature of a katabatic wind rises as the weight of the air above it increases its pressure, without the wind absorbing heat from the surrounding environment).