• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In rust we trust but yeah, don't want my final product rusting (when I don't want it to).

I have made another reindeer like I posted in the Christmas thread. My daughters have comman-deer-ed them and have been playing with them. Lol

I have found that if I want stock for my sales table I not only have to make no mention of it on social media but I also have to hide it from my family. Lol 

Not an issue when I haven't committed to selling at an event. 

Glad it seems like it is supposed to. :) yeah he is pointing and beckoning as in "  hey, You, come Here!"

the arms are a couple screw headed bolts and the fingers are the off cuts of some finishing nails that I'll be using the head section for a bunch of ornament size nutty snowmen. 

Looking at it I think I could have done the fingers a bit better but I'm calling this one done for the build. 

I do have an idea to make another one with his hands up in the "gonna get you" ghoul position, kinda old Scooby Do bad guy chasing the team style. I have a bunch of smaller snowmen to finish first tho. 

28 snowmen almost done. Little ones need a wire wheel, scarves and painted then strings. Bigger ones need hats, wire wheeled, scarves and clearcoated. 

20221206_233728.thumb.jpg.d673d2b55ddc2ff5efcee0075ee045ee.jpg

Ran out of wire in my welder and battled with what I thought was a worse problem than it was, so all is good now. 

IS it posible for blacksmith to make handplane?

I mean wooden one?

I have drill press, is spring steel good for blade, i have leaf spring steel, maybe i will weld some mild steel to it.

Only harder part is i guess making wooden block on drillpress , but wont be hard to drill out.

Welp, looks like I'm not getting the tools made before the rain comes. Which means I'm not finishing my winter challenge project until the rain stops... maybe Saturday evening or Sunday. 

Tonight I went out to start on the hot cut. Went to get the piece of scrap and noticed the bucket of vinegar with a bunch of metal soaking. Remembered what Frosty said about vinegar not just removing rust but also removing the metal that the rust was attached to. Decided I should dump that and clean everything up. Did that and gave tools a blo coat. 

Then went digging for the scrap piece to use for a hot cut. While looking for that, I found some other pieces of scrap to use for other tools I'd been intending to make. Decided I really needed rivet tools before I needed a hot cut tool. Then decided I needed punches to make said rivet tools, lol

So this is everything I've got laid out, ready to be forged into tools so I can finish the winter project! I wanted to do a Dial-A-Hole but didn't have a piece thick enough and big enough to make a circle. So I'll just use this laying flat on the anvil. Ooor... I have an idea of using a bolt that fits the smallest hole with a nut larger than the largest hole and upset the end opposite the threads to fit the pritchel hole.. Then it would be an adjustable positioning pritchel tool. I dunno. Just a thought in case I get tired of chasing the dancing bolster plate around. 

received_1156547888309708.thumb.jpeg.e297f888fe8fb7983912b350dd5d14ba.jpeg

I got some mostly successful forge welds done.  This was the first time I got my propane forge up that hot. I had just replaced all the side bricks so it is no longer losing heat and was running it at about 25 lbs pressure before the tank started to freeze up.   I had a little bit of refining left but couldn't get back to that pressure and temp.  I refined the welds after that with 6013 rod because mostly isn't completely.  I completed the basket twist I was making,  stick welded it to the base I made and welded that to my frying pan.  I'd have riveted it but I wanted to make dinner in that pan and it was getting close to 8.  Even half sanded I was very happy with how it performed.   Nothing stuck.  BTW, dinner was grilled  cheese with a fried egg,  a couple pieces of fried ham,  and tomato soup.  I'm going to do cleanup on it, sanding and finish. 

received_840249263759457.jpeg

received_546410743664089.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Jobtiel1 said:

Krenkov style planes

That's "Krenov" -- James Krenov was a Russian-born woodworker, writer, and teacher who (among other things) made all of his own planes. Here's a video showing the basic process: