• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the smitty gods have shown favor on to me in the form of much wrought iron.  my new room mate brought me home little piece just the other day, its about 8" length wise and half inch square.  

they recently re-opened a junk yard not to far from my house after a bad fire they had, ive been meaning to go check it out. may find some treasures

ya'll ever make tongs from leaf spring? while i was forging out the jaws i had let them get to hot to hold by the reigns, even red hot further up so i dipped them in water reigns end first which i have een doing just not when they were so hot.  sure enough go cracks the size of the panama canal.  in hindsight i could have taco'd some material around 3 of the worse sides and forge welded from there,  instead i ground the worse areas down as much as i could and forged welded a strip of leaf spring to the 2 worst sides... lol turned out ok but i shoulda just started over but i couldnt scrap it given how hard it is for me to work spring steel.

My wife had a coworker request a dozen wine bottle holders. After a few text back and forth I though I had figured out what she was looking for, but since I was getting all of my information third hand I wasn’t quite sure. I made these last week and sent them down to her. As far as I know they like them. 

EA4EFF1E-F9B6-4A3C-9335-65840E65974F.jpeg

3265C69A-BFCD-4C05-9B72-5C5D31EC84FD.jpeg

Thanks Pnut. Since making a spring fuller a few weeks ago I have been looking for projects to use it on. When this came up and I was told to "do whatever my little heart desired" (you have to say that in a southern lady accent) it seemed like the perfect time to try some new things.

My wife requested a pair of plant hangers similar to what I made for my mom, since her birthday is next week that is my next project. She likes to looks of the looks of the spade ends that are shouldered, so that is what I'll probably do.

Little details like that is what makes a common project have a little pop. I made a handheld spring fuller out of a piece of 3/8 Inch round stock for basically this exact type of project. I don't remember seeing it when I moved everything out of the woods. I'll have to go look. I finally have my new forge done. As soon as I'm done with these horrible antibiotics I will test it out. 

Pnut

I’ve been wanting to make a scribe for layout work for a while. Another project left me with the tang section of a big file:

E6FC0C2D-1EA9-4087-83D8-19B9CDCCDDE8.jpeg

Which gave me the idea for this:

0A725BB9-F8B1-4554-9934-8FB1E6F2F1EF.jpeg

Also made another calla lily. I think I’m starting to get the hang of these. 

1C0F384F-8915-4189-B934-48CEE969FC7F.jpeg

19 hours ago, Fowllife said:

a dozen wine bottle holders

Nice work! We really need to get together to do some forging, once the quarantine is lifted. 

Anyone else having trouble logging on?

Anyway, prototyped another set of table legs. I like these much better. Dont seem as spindly.

20200416_182746.thumb.jpg.39b8be3a82e81bc3ed31d24c89975530.jpg

Edit: forgot to add these are also my first collars i have done. They are a lttle short, i went with 2x the width, 2x the thickness, and 2x the thickness of the collar. Should i have went with 4x the thickness of the collar?

Edited by BillyBones
Forgot something

Suggestion for the next one; (or a welding project for this one.)---put a tab extending out the back of the top fuller bar so you can lift the working end  by pushing down on it with the hammer as you insert the workpiece between the fullers.

Some folks extend a tap from the working end and lift it with the hammer in use.  I prefer to keep the hot steel and hammer apart.

JHCC, nice work. The scribe looks awesome as does the flower. 

Billy, yes, I've been having lots of trouble getting on. But today is going smooth. I love your table leg design. Your getting better all the time. 

Chris, nice looking tool there. Did you make the cross in front of your anvil?

I was going to post a picture of the "Baby Bear" set of child's table ware I made. But i can't get it to load. 

On 4/17/2020 at 7:19 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Suggestion for the next one; (or a welding project for this one.)---put a tab extending out the back of the top fuller bar so you can lift the working end  by pushing down on it with the hammer as you insert the workpiece between the fullers.

Good idea, Thomas............but wouldn't have worked with this one.  It was made with a 2" square tube.  Drilled the holes and then cut a 1/2" slot out of the front.  Made a lot of unnecessary work for myself..............and Frosty told me not to do it that way.  I'm pig-headed.  If I make another, I'll do it the way he suggested............and will add your suggestion.  Thanks.

Yes CGL, the cross was something I messed with recently.  As soon as I get my new tongs tomorrow, I'll be able to hold the cross so I can texture it.  With my stupid tongs, all I was doing was burning new blacksmith tattoos on my hands and arms from the cross bouncing out and around.

Nice work all. JHCC I’ve had the same section of file lying around for about a year. Now I know what to do with it!

In the meantime I have a little hook for the kitchen and a towel ring for the bathroom. Quite happy with the forge weld on the towel ring and when I can manage to upload the images I’ll share...

Until then, take care and stay safe. 

JHCC that is a really cool design on the forge..   I really like it..  How far will the arm slide out? 

Fowllife what a great selection of hooks.. I love all the different finials.   Many, many years ago I had a board setup as a sample board.. My work was not as clean as yours..  They look great. 

BLO for finish???  Or what did you use for finish is a better question?

LBS  that flatter weighs just oover 4 lbs or it did when I made it.  It's had the striking end forge welded back together like 3 times since it was made. 

Both sides were exactly the same length..   The eye shrunk when I upset the face and never even bothered to redrift it. 

Your work is stellar.. the air hammer playing more and more into your work flow?    

Chris, your photo taking is stellar and I love the anvil, fuller setup photo.  Just the right amount of background blur. 

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

I didn't TELL you not to do it that way I only suggested an easier build for what I thought of as a better tool.

Exactly!  Just another example of me not expressing myself accurately.  Oh well, you know what you said.............and that's how I took it.  I'll just do it differently next time.

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Chris, your photo taking is stellar and I love the anvil, fuller setup photo.  Just the right amount of background blur. 

Thanks Jennifer.