• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I appreciate the encouraging words, thanks! I bought the plants at Home Cheapo which accounts for the plastic pots, but I'll re-pot when I get something nicer.

Aus; those brass inlays are very easy to do. I just drill a hole the same size as the stock, then run a taper half way through each side of the hole. This gives a slight hourglass shape to the brass when it is hammered in and locks it in nicely. I cut the brass about a 16th oversized then grind it flush.

Marc: Since I'm close to the ocean, any unfinished metal self textures quite rapidly all by itself. Also, being new to this work, I usually don't have to try very hard to have a well textured look as it is. I'm still working on clean.

I had a chance to work on my uncle's old forge this weekend, the bottom of the legs are rusted and splitting, but I wanted to leave it original instead of replacing the legs,so I built a stand around it, with wheels so I can move it when not in use. After mounting the blower I fired it up. First time it was fired up since the mid 50's and the first time I ever built a fire in a forge. Thanks to all on here who have supplied instructions on how to light one up, everything went like I knew what I was doing except my paper mushroom looked more like a squashed zucchini. Then forged my first object, my coal rake. The forge has been leveled in the frame since I took the first picture and I still have a few adjustments and tool racks to add on before cleaning it up painting it, but I had to try it out.

IMG_0153.jpg.ac078394da27fc2fa9d5df17edc19ae6.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg.8eb79310bf55498619e5ab891d0bde26.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg.83ad0c29cbd80317a22aaec1c7292e6d.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg.a04033d5eeed949298465b12221f7530.jpg

Decided to give a try at a small grappling hook for the kayak when fishing. Some spots on the river have a smooth bedrock bottom, so i wanted something i can hook onto the roots protruding from the shores. Def a good learning experience for the next. 

Snapchat-1454558776.jpg

Snapchat-36642570.jpg

Snapchat-710475825.jpg

Snapchat-427292332.jpg

Bunch of little projects. Made a jig for the spiral tong clips:

A1580CE1-F11E-4042-BD9A-11896B337502.jpeg

Straightened a coil spring and made an experimental scrolling wrench I’ve been thinking about:

BF0BD123-B4B7-401F-9632-5BA730B2F481.jpeg

And made another knitting bowl for Lisa:

F370BE13-BE92-4363-B8EA-9C50B4144CE6.jpeg

A236705F-9805-4746-8F44-ED7B3B726180.jpeg

I got lucky with the drop bin at my steel supplier and found this five foot piece of 1/8” stock that tapered from about 9/16” to about 3/16”. Perfect for this application. 

Not really what I did in the shop today, but what happened in my shop in my absence.

I arrived at work to find that my joker workmate had rearranged a couple of things. A scrap art bird (that looks a bit like a Roadrunner) was placed so that he was looking at some 'free birdseed" and an anvil swung above his head in the manner of a Wylie Coyote ruse from the well-known cartoons.

It's a bit hard to see from the jumbled background of my forge, but you get the idea. Gotta have a sense of humour.

DSC_0497 (2).JPG

A stuffed Coyote as a sound damper between your anvil and stand is a classic salute to the Roadrunner and Wile E Coyote.

It's good to have associates who are comfortable enough to go to that length for a laugh. Good mates are worth gold.

Frosty The Lucky.