• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hahaha! It's not that pointy! And thank you.

Also, I discovered that the twist on the stick part locks in with the twist on the other piece. Once locked, I can tighten it by just turning it like a screw. An odd but handy "not intended" design feature. 

And mines a bit too small. I wanna make a slightly bigger one. 

IMG_20181212_131847.jpg

Nice work Helena. 

Maybe round out the square edges slightly on the hair clip as well. Good start the next should be even better. 

On the slot punch, on mine I keep the face flat and it works well. Mine is a combination punch/drift but due to my hardy hole size I still have to drift them more before I can even use the horn of the anvil. 

Thank you! And thanks for the info. I too have a bit of a stubby horn on my anvil. The drift I made won't fit through the pritchel(?) hole but works for the hardy. Just have to keep going corner to corner and flip every heat... But cold shuts happened on the slot punch, so I definitely need to refine it's shape. 

Great first effort Helena, you got a lot done. I find that I build just about as much tooling as I do projects. 

Time spent banging away at the anvil will improve your projects as you get used to how the hammer effects the steel. You'll be surprised at how quickly your projects become more of what you planned and less of what just happened to turn out. 

I went dumpster diving and my favorite steel fabrication shop today. Came home with 135# of steel. It's the only type of shopping I really enjoy.

Helena, Long hair types do not like their hair being grabbed, snagged, or broken. Round all the corners, and wire brush the surface to a very smooth finish, maybe even a little sandpaper.

Size and design look great.

Next time your in the shop try a hair clasp from brass or brazing rod. 

Fantastic work. The last bastion of blacksmithing. 

Is that your template? Lots of work indeed.

Spiral staircase railing is the most difficult and unforgiving job you can get yourself into. And some chuncky stock too.

Did you steam bend the handrail yourself?

Great octopus, Das. Gotta find some of those big cap nuts. And the key chain is simple but stylish. Another pic for the inspirations file.

And Alexandr, your work is just so classy. That staircase and rail is an engineering and blacksmithing masterpiece.  

Ted, for the smaller stuff like this I use a Lincoln 135 mig with argon/co2 mix gas and .023 wire. It has served me well for Many years.  

I also more recently purchased a larger Hobart mig for thicker and larger projects, and have a Hobart Tig that I swear I might get the hang of one day.