Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Have you decided how you are going to attach the handles to the knife? 

Hi Jen.  I drew out the reins a bit more so I had enough to go through the handles.  figured I poke them through and put a copper washer over them and peen them over.   a wise smith once told me that they are usually peened on.  

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:03 PM, Ted Ewert said:

Nice knife! Do you have a power hammer? 

Thanks Ted.  No, I wish I did.  that was about 7/8 rail spring when I started.  So... you know. 

5 hours ago, ausfire said:

The twisted and textured trunk is spectacul

If I make another thats one thing I plan to do more of and more smoothly. Tried starting with nails but the next one will be small rod stock to have it all transition a little better. 

3 hours ago, Helena said:

How long did it end up taking

Shouldn't have taken more than an evening or two but it got spread out between 4 evenings with many distractions lol. I should have paid more attention but I really don't know. Once you get in a rhythm of hammering the mini finish nails that goes quick enough. Same as I did for the hummingbird really just only hammering the tips. 

1 hour ago, Helena said:

Gave my new forge a paint job

It's nice, and I love all black and all but I kinda thought I'd see some art to it haha. Looks like a dayton blower. 

DuckCreek, what size is it? Haven't run into any buggy axle steel yet. 

Haven't had more than an hour or so a night. But it looks like I'll be able to spend a solid day or two in the shop soon. Looking forward to it.

The regulator was set to 10psi ... It runs all the way down to 2psi but I get impatient waiting for stuff to heat up. The bottle is huge... So I could probably run it even hotter. However, the regulator has been acting funny and I need to fix it somehow. Sometimes it acts like there's no fuel at all. I think it's slightly clogged... Not sure though.

JLP, I want to thank you for all the suggestions! I was thinking about it while staring at the solution.

A28JUug.jpg

A simple machinist vise works great. Sits flat on the anvil and has lots of steel between the die and the anvil. Why reinvent the wheel.

Das, nice tree of life. You're a very creative guy. 

Helena, I have a similar set up with my forge and I found that the burner didn't work well until I took steps to mix the propane and air better (lots of sputtering and inconsistent combustion). I started with an injector which is similar to the one below, only with smaller holes. It sticks right out into the airstream.

2DrAU6n.jpg

Then I put some stainless screen across the inside of the pipe at a joint. I also added a helical piece of sheet metal with holes in it. The idea is to create as much turbulence between the injection point and the burner without too much obstruction. 

Propane and air don't mix well for some reason, so we have to help them get better acquainted. You'll notice an immediate improvement in control and smoothness of the flame once the two are well mixed. You'll also use less propane to get the same heat. 

Ted

Yay finally found time to light my fire again. One of my customers sent my mobile compressor back with broken clasps so I forged new ones, but rough and ready but will do the job.  One of my lads wad interested so I let him make a keyring snail and made one myself at the same time to show him the steps. 

The 2 hooks were 1/2 stainless steel rebar (yes I know but it's what I had) the snails are 6mm (1/4) round stock. Mine is on the right, Zaks in the middle. He did a cracking attempt for his first go with a hammer concidering his teacher knows next to nothing. 

20181212_191141.jpg

20181212_191148.jpg

Finally got to spend an entire day in the shop! Fixed the problem with the forge too. Made my first punches and hot cut chisel. I used a large coil spring I found on the side of the road. Sweet mother Detroit provides! Also made a hair tie and a bottle opener. Never made any of these things before, so I know they're kinda rough. Still, feels good to make stuff. Feels better to learn so much so quickly. 

Such as, Acme hoses are not good for feeding a forge. And, slot punches need to be flat and preferably not have rounded corners. At least, I think that's the problem I was having when using it... 

Oh, and hair pieces need to be a bit bigger than the one I made... 

Anyway, thank you all for the help and inspiration!

IMG_20181212_162525.jpg

IMG_20181212_132030.jpg

IMG_20181212_110731.jpg

IMG_20181212_111948.jpg