Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SLAG, no sweat...we are still friends!

Interesting insight on the soap. I have used it on many occasions when wax was not readily available, but never saw a rust problem. Probably because it might have been buried in the wood. Thanks for pointing that out...I probably will not use it any more. (Maybe that's why my hands have a reddish-brown look to them after washing!.....jus' messin' with ya there).

Great!,

Friendship is wonderful.

I have found that the best wax for screw, bolt, and drill bit, etc. lubrication, is the soft wax coating of Dutch cheeses.

For example Edam, and Gouda.

We eat the cheese and, then,  should save the wax. (personally, I do not care for the taste of wax.)

That wax is very soft.

It easily 'schmeers' onto the nail, screw  bolt,  that could use some lubrication.

One of the many benefits, is the cost.  It is FREE!

Better yet,  the wax comes in several snazzy colors. The most common is red,  but white is common too.  And occasionally black. Different cheeses different color waxes.

You can store the wax in an empty pill container, for ready use.

But, the SLAG has discovered that it makes sawing wood, faster and easier. (use the white wax for that purpose). Smear some wax on the blade, repeat whilst sawing, and you are good to go.

BUT,  do not use wax if the wood will later be stained, painted, or glued.

And, there, you have it.  

Regards to all,

SLAG,

32 minutes ago, JHCC said:

No forging today, but I did (on another of my business trips in New England) get to meet arftist and see his power hammer in person. Nice chunk o' machinery, to be sure, and always fun to meet another IFI member IRL.

Nice sounds like it was a fun day.. 

Grumpy Biker some nice looking openers.. Looks like you have the process down nicely..   In 42 years I have never made 1..  LOL. 

2 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Nice work.. Looking forwards to the finished blades.. Handles all picked out? 

Thank you! The longer slender blade is a gift for a friend and is all planned out, the blade was forged from a piece of leaf spring from his old boat trailer. The handle will be made out of a piece of cherry from a handle from his late wife’s casket. The fittings I’m not 100% sure yet, likely just some bronze but if I can snatch something from his house (it’s a surprise gift) that has something to do with his wife and makes it 100% sentimental, I’ll reroute the plan. 

The other blade has no definite plan. I have an endless supply of crown antler, but the last 4 or 5 knives I made were all antler so I’m a little sick of the smell lol. I have some bog oak that I’ll continue to save for something more exciting... this one may get some ebony and bronze. 

Sorry Glenn, didn’t mean to turn this into a misplaced blade discussion, it’s just what I did in the forge today B)

19 hours ago, FivePointsForge said:

Roughed out a couple of blades this morning, now onto some sort of stocking hook rack (no fireplace in the new home) while these two normalize. 

Here's what I made to hold stockings.  If you do hooks, make sure you take into account them hanging full of goodies.  That's why you'll see my hook bottoms slanted outward.  The wood parts can be found at any big box hardware store.  I think the whole thing cost me $25 to make.  

DSCN4172.thumb.JPG.ae770dfd86d3afa27c46f4869dcdd1fb.JPG

18 hours ago, duckcreekforge said:

Made my first jingle bell last evening. One of those things I hadn’t done before. Harder than it appears. Before and after pictures.

Nice work., Gary.  Practice up, I would like to see a demo on those. I plan to be in Rockville in a few hours.  Take care               Dave

I'm starting to forge leaves out of copper. 

Thought I'd make them on my down time (I own a company and I sometimes have a slow week), and selling them on Etsy or somewhere.

There are a lot of steel ones being sold and I think copper makes them a little nicer.  Not a great photo of them.

45196913975_c025a2fa20_c.jpgForged Copper by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Welded up a 4-1/4” ball stake for the striking anvil/portable hole. Not sure how well it will hold together: I’m afraid the ball might be cast iron. It welded, but messily. 

8255D3BA-67D0-481D-8753-74A1105A74E3.jpeg

59AD13BB-2217-41B9-AFBD-5C044DCB150C.jpeg

If the weld doesn’t hold, I’ll make up a holder for the ball, as Glenn suggested elsewhere.