Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not in the shop but to the shop.

I have spent two days securing/hardening the blacksmith shop and attached garage. We have lived here for 38 years after building the house and unattached garage with the smithy attached to it. In all that time we have never had to lock up anything with no problems.

All that came to an end Sunday night or early Monday morning when some miscreant came up our half mile long driveway and stole a $ 640.00 U.S. Echo gas powered pole saw that has been on hangers under the carport that's attached to the garage for at least 6 years (sigh). Guess we just joined the world of lock up everything. May be time to get another big outside yard dog. Our last yard dog a Great Pyrenees/Commodore cross  passed over the Rainbow Bridge about ten years ago.

Alexandr your work amazes me. I can't imagine doung such a large project like that. And the installed photos are always great. 

FivePoints, thats some nice clean forging. I can imagine it would be a fairly popular item in some groups. 

Sorry to hear IronDragon. :( I have been more laxed on security than I should be having had around $1200. Worth of aluminum stolen before. Ugh, keeping everything under lock is a burden on us as well but I'm thinking I really should beef up security too. 

11 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Nice work..  Well done.. 

is that a small piece of flint under your chasing tools? 

Thank you.  And, yes, that is Texas flint.  I keep some variety of stones on hand so I can test my flint strikers before they go out the door.  So far, Texas flint does the best of any stone I've tried.  Remarkable stuff, really.

Vaughn, how much for some flint? Lol. 

As far as my peace symbol ornaments, I was informed I need seven, not two. Ugh, ok. Started 6 more. One extra for whatever. Also started a star of david for Elizabeths gift exchange part for Christmas with her aunt. Needs forged a bit yet. 

20181219_231555.jpg

20181219_231537.jpg

20181219_231515.jpg

Sorry to her of your loss Irondragon. Things like that leave you with a hollow feeling. :angry: Some people are just a waste of perfectly good oxygen.

Maybe a big dog will protect you against further loss. We have a great watch dog. She would sit there and watch anyone take what they want.

Haven't been around much lately, but just got done doing some catch up. Some awesome work everyone!

Just got one project done, and waiting on a new delivery of 1095 that's supposed to be here today to start some more projects. Here's the one I just finished. 8 inch blade with black walnut and maple handle.

20181130_212517.thumb.jpg.e5d120b17b4f9ce392576713a05cf4ce.jpg

20181125_202440.thumb.jpg.aac0a28fd568ef598adb6011887927c3.jpg

19 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Vaughn are you making straight strikers or twisted? 

I make three varieties -- the dog tag style pictured, the Cornucopia and the Shield.  All three were designed around the idea that they could be wearable and not look out of place.  You can attach them to a necklace, or sport them on your knife sheath much like folks do with ferro rods.  Of course, they don't have to have chased designs on them.  I don't make the big strikers like a lot of folks do.  While these are smaller and harder to handle, that's the trade-off you make for the convenience and appearance.

I cut the head off some railroad spikes (55) to be exact. I drilled and tapped them and they are our kitchen cabinet door pulls. So I had all the left overs??? I’ve been cutting and splitting them a few at a time and making split crosses from them. 

My wife wants me to make some smaller ones. I bought some 1/4” square and started cutting and splitting last night. I can’t split them straight to save my life. I tried my band saw , a hack saw and my portaband. I’ll try again tonight. I’m open to any suggestions. I’m seriously considering hot splitting.

AR. Hillbilly: I clamped a thick steel straightedge (parallel to the blade) to the table of my band-saw  (Used vertically) and used that as a fence to guide. The split comes out straight, not always dead central but that doesn't seem to matter once the piece is opened out and forged. Here are some of the results, not perfect but I like them:

IMG_1503 crosses.jpg

smallcross.jpg

I've been trying a kind of split-cross sculpture.......very much a work in progress. My partner doesn't like it, the imagery makes her uncomfortable so not sure if I'll continue it.

crucifix 1.jpg

crucifix 2.jpg

I also tried some knots this week.......the reef knot will become a hook for the back of a door. The other one will probably do service as a paperweight on my desk.

knot.jpg

reefknot.jpg

37 minutes ago, rocketman_k said:

I clamped a thick steel straightedge (parallel to the blade) to the table of my band-saw  (Used vertically) and used that as a fence to guide.

More precisely, parallel to the line of the cut, not simply parallel to the blade. Some blades drift consistently to one side or the other, and the fence should be clamped to compensate for that.