• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice idea, rocketman!

58er, those look very good!

Desmato, well, crossing my fingers they don't hurt themselves.

I made something today, too. Tried my first flower, since I thought it might become a christmas gift.

IMG_20181223_152637.thumb.jpg.ead587cf97725c0ac4ab880f41c92890.jpg

It didn't work out like I wanted. The inner petals tore apart, so only two instead of three layers. Peening the stem didn't work, so I had to weld for the first time. Looks bad and the inner leaf still rotates a little, despite the giant blob in the middle. I also forgot to round the edges of the petals.

It's kind of a disaster. I'm still tempted to gift it, though. If I find a way to stop the rattle. :(

It is not a disaster, it is called R&D, a prototype, problem solving, etc. Use the prototype in order to fix any problems and make the next on better.

Try setting each part into place then use a center punch to put a dent between the part and the stem. 

I decided to try to texture the leaves from my previous post. I also made two more to keep practicing. I have several chisels and punches which could have been used. I gave it a shot with them but kept dropping the leaf after each strike. Since these previous leave were already bent into a shape that did not help me being able to hold them while striking. I then went to the straight peen hammer.
I am not a fan of the straight lines from chisels on some leaves that I seem to see from a lot of beginners, but I still suck at making them so that may be part of it.
As usual, comments or suggestions for improvement are encouraged. 

20181223_150700.jpg

20181223_152511.jpg

20181223_153929.jpg

20181223_154139.jpg

20181223_155418.jpg

In regards to these curtain rod holders.

I have some pics of the process but am still not happy with how they turn out. I would like them to be attached to the wall, come out about one inch them dip down into a slight "U" for the rod to rest in. This will keep the rod off the wall/window/molding, etc. After that, they can turn up into the leaf. I have not been able to figure out how or when to make the "U" the rod rest upon. The last pic with the arrow is where I want the holder to dip down so the rod rests upon it. Suggestions on when/how to do that?

holders.jpg

I bought a different piece of 1/4” square to make little split crosses. It cut way easier and I was able to split them fairly straight this time. Very small and easy to lose in the coal forge. I made one more today by forging it with a plumbers love torch instead of my coal forge. It worked well. I also made a wood grain hammer. I practiced with it some and starting to get the knack of it.

Had a busy day in the shop today. Had some good helpers too. Since Christmas hasn't come yet, they weren't wearing their aprons yet. My son made a toasting fork from 1/4"(6mm) mild round stock. He's 10, but did the bending and twisting of the handle. He ran the blower while I hot cut the fork tines and dressed them. We had fun working together to make it, but I believe he liked the testing process more! My daughter made her first split cross from 1/2"(12mm) mild square stock. I helped hold it while she did the hammering. The texture was hammered in with a fencing pliers. Finished the day with my first leaf on a wall hook made from 1/2"(12mm) mild square stock.

IMG_20181223_194054130.jpg

IMG_20181223_143308260.jpg

IMG_20181223_195651.jpg

IMG_20181223_155224035.jpg

IMG_20181223_155244754.jpg

IMG_20181223_175748592.jpg

13 hours ago, psacustomcreations said:
I decided to try to texture the leaves from my previous post. I also made two more to keep practicing. I have several chisels and punches which could have been used. I gave it a shot with them but kept dropping the leaf after each strike. Since these previous leave were already bent into a shape that did not help me being able to hold them while striking. I then went to the straight peen hammer.
I am not a fan of the straight lines from chisels on some leaves that I seem to see from a lot of beginners, but I still suck at making them so that may be part of it.
As usual, comments or suggestions for improvement are encouraged. 

When I make leaves, I bevel both edges of the top surface to create the center ridge and the thin edges, and then I texture the surface with a cross- or straight-peen hammer as the mood strikes me. Then I flip it over and hammer out the “belly” with a ball-peen hammer over a divot in a wooden stump. A little tweaking, and we’re done. 

6F39A040-80CC-497D-9E79-469FC18310A2.jpeg