I Forge Iron

Coronavirus 2020

Marc1

For what it's worth, I'm finally symptom-free. In 72 hours I'll be legally able to leave my house again and follow the less strict shelter-in-place. Which is good, because the grocery situation is getting a bit challenging. I also felt well enough yesterday to finally test my box bellows with a very temporary forge. Moving my anvil and stand with some castors made me less out of breath than just walking up a tiny hill a week and a half ago. Pretty crazy.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My eldest Daughter is a Veterinarian and they just started doing "curbside consults"; she posted a one word description of how the first 3 days went:

Day 1: Sunburn

Day 2: Allergies

Day 3: SNOWSTORM!

It's going to get up to 80 this week but yesterday there was snow...

Some of our Church friends needed some help; they are in their 80's and she broke a hip at the start of the problems here in NM and her Husband has had to do his own cooking for the first time in decades. Well he's run out of eggs and the store is cleared out too. So my wife is going to go pick some up from a friend with chickens and take them to his house. Evidently one thing a doctorate in Mathematics gives you is the ability to time an egg boiling...

I'm glad you've come through it and haven't suffered like so many. You've made my day Selph.

It's been in the low/mid 40s the last few days and supposed to maybe reach the low 50s today, it was 44f. when I got up at 5am and it's 48 at 10am now, so low 50s seems probable. The driveways are almost clear of ice and hard packed snow now, mud's appearing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

For us its going okay. Our governor just extended the stay at home order as it was supposed to end today. He did say that we will be opening some businesses that were not considered essential. The weather is pretty harsh here at the moment and will probably be that way until Saturday. 

And that is super great to hear Selph! Im glad you are okay!

Mud; what's that?    71 degF is supposed to be our high today; upper 70's later in the week and supposed to break 80 next week. Of course last night it hit 31 degF. We had another fire in the woodstove and closed the bedroom window---more for noise than temperature.

Our county still only has 15 cases reported in our 6649 sq miles; but as I work in the biggest population sink---about 10K people; they are likely to be around here...

I have someone coming to look over the hoard this weekend---with mask and gloves and social distancing.  I would like to get some sold off so I can start getting parts and repairs for the triphammer.

We are doing fine here. Carroll County only has one confirmed case and three possibles (unconfirmed). Today we left the mountain for the first time in several weeks to go grocery shopping (ran out of Cheerios), wearing our masks just to be on the safe side. The store is well stocked, with the exception of paper and cleaning products. Pretty much everyone there was practicing physical distancing and the store has set up one way isles. We were able to get everything on the list with the exception of Bisquick and spent $161.37 which is a little high for us but considering we haven't shopped in several weeks, can't complain.

One thing the store is doing, one person is sanitizing the shopping carts an doing a very through job of it. After each person has checked out the cashier sanitizes the whole check out station. I thought that was remarkable. The one way isles really messed with our regular way we shop. It's funny how we develop habits like  going a certain way when shopping. My wife kept saying this is just wrong.:)

Brazos is... messy. 151/13

It's been low 60's since Monday. Was 90's last week. Shall see. Mornings low 40's. 

Been wildly alternating between "only 8's" and "EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE!! 16 HOUR DAYS!!" 

Crazy times continue.

Just an update from earlier, apparently my wife did find and order some reasonably priced antibody test. I’m not sure how accurate they will be but at least it’s a step. 

On another note, I’m starting to get pretty disheartened with how a lot of states are dealing with this. In Ohio at least we have been told to expect “the surge” for the last few week, and it just isn’t coming. Don’t get me wrong, that’s a good thing. On the other hand we need to be fully utilizing our resources. Our hospitals are currently at about 20% pre-pandemic capacity, and we have added capacity considerably. Unfortunately, there is no vaccine in the near future. We need to start switching to optimizing our heath care system instead of thinking we can stop this, but apparently our government is to short sighted to see that. I do understand it’s a fine line to walk, but hopefully some people start to see the light. 

On 4/15/2020 at 9:39 PM, Fowllife said:

Just an update from earlier, apparently my wife did find and order some reasonably priced antibody test. I’m not sure how accurate they will be but at least it’s a step. 

the VP just announced they hope to have a reliable antibody test available by the end of April, I hope you didnt get ripped off as generally the current testing are 50% to 70% wrong, according to the White House CV task force just now

Problem with the chicken cost video is that there is NO accounting for your time taking cate of the chickens, gathering eggs, dispatching the old chickens, etc.  If your time has value at all, you go into the red once the hours are calculated in.

"Raising chickens is for survival.............not profit."  My grandparents kept a rotation of about 5 hundred chickens.  It was a real chore.  I once asked my Grandma if it was "really" profitable and why they did it.  She looked at me with a puzzled expression and said.........."Well, we don't make any profit as such, but we sell the eggs and a lot of the chickens, but the main thing is we always have eggs and chickens for our own table and the selling of eggs and chickens more than pays for the expenses we incur in raising and caring for them.  Besides (with a big smile on her face) I get to make all my and your Aunt Lois's clothes out of the feed sacks".   I'll never forget picking up chicken feed at the dealer with my Grandad.  Back when I was but a wee lad, chicken feed bags were all fancy colored cotton fabrics.  He always had a list with him of which patterns of "dress material" bags he was to purchase. :lol:  Oh, and Grandma weighed 350 pounds, so a "dress" looked more like a tent and used a LOT of chicken feed sacks! :D

Thanks, Selph.  My younger brother was 7 years younger than I and used to spend a lot of time at Grandma's house so Mom didn't have to mess with him. :D  He was about 5 years old at the time of this story.  One day Grandma called Mom and jokingly said "Come and take Kent home!"  Mom said "Sure, but why?".  Grandma laughed and said Kent walked into the bedroom while she was making a dress and asked her if she was making a tent.  Said she'd never been so embarrassed in her life.

She's been dead for 50 years now and it's still a story we tell and laugh about at family gatherings. ;)

Howdy guys long time no talk. But yall mention chickens and I come a runnin'. Anyway the video is flawed in many ways, however having said that chickens are profitable. Even when you factor in time and everything else. There are things that can be done like bulk feed buying and supplementing feed from things that require less than 5 minutes a day at your farm. Also the things she talks about with infrastructure are slightly flawed. Just like a forge or a power hammer you don't factor the cost of it into the first flock... or project that you make. You have to figure in a schedule to make it pay for itself. It will cost money up front but over the course of 2 to 5 years it will pay for itself. I think it is called a depreciation schedule, but don't quote me on that. Also them being profitable is a scale situation if you only have a flock of 10 or 15 that falls into the survival/pet range. Anyway sorry for the tangent I would break it down further but then the virus thread would become a chicken profitability thread haha. Yall have a blessed one. 

Frosty where did you run off to? Aint heard from you in awhile

3 hours ago, Tommie Hockett said:

Frosty where did you run off to? Aint heard from you in awhile

Run off, me? I don't go anywhere well I did hit the local store this morning, first time I've gone anywhere in 2 weeks or better. Not counting picking up a couple bags of saw dust for the dog's litter box but I just wave at the lady  in the office as I head back to the dust collector behind the planer building. 

Uh, that'a about it for excitement here. What were we talking about? I don't remember things very well so if it seems like I just stopped in the middle of a conversation I just got distracted and POOF. 

Oooh shiny! What is it?

Frosty The Lucky.