I Forge Iron

Coronavirus 2020

Marc1

2 hours ago, Fowllife said:

Since we all know we can't trust any info from China, and the US didn't stop flights out of China until the end of January I think it's somewhat short sighted to think that we didn't have cases in the US in some areas way earlier then they are saying.

Yeah, this is absolutely true. I talked to a public health nurse after my test came back, and they think I got it from my father-in-law. He's had some health issues and last year we moved to a new house so he could have his own space but live with us. Anyway, he had pneumonia back in February and was in the hospital for a week. He came home literally the day before we started isolating, which was 3 weeks ago at this point. But he had a terrible cough and probably gave it to my wife. She finally got a cough and some mild cold symptoms almost two weeks ago on Wednesday. Then I came down with my initial symptoms a bit over a week ago on Friday or Saturday.

They didn't test my father-in-law at the time, because they weren't that aware of the virus yet, and didn't have the tests even if they were. But he had all the signatures of a rougher case of the virus. Cough, fever, pneumonia. We're hoping for an anti-body test soon too, so we can confirm if he had it or not.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I think some kind of anit-body test, or whatever it is truly called will be a game changer in some ways. If we can find out who has had it it will help in a lot of ways. It just feels odd to me that the symptoms vary so widely, and there are so many people with the "usual" symptoms that test negative. It feels to either there are variation to the original virus, a very similar virus, or very bad testing.

Mr SLAG, thanks for the reply. I believe they are in contact with the Ohio Dept. of Health and the Ohio State University on almost a daily basis. Neither ODH or OSU are offering anything like this yet, so they were looking more outside of the box per say. I know almost nothing about what goes into all this testing stuff, it's way over my head.

The anti body tests are expensive now, they're almost one off lab work, the price will come down, the turn around will speed up and reliability will improve. Honest, look at the improvements in the infection tests, those took what 2 weeks and were reasonably reliable when this came to our attention and now they have 15 minute tests with a high degree of reliability, last I heard the 5 minute results were becoming more reliable.

America's getting rolling on this, hang in there gang. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Reading the news on Yahoo all the stories about covid19 are all gloom and doom., don't go to the grocery store for the next 2 weeks, millions are going to die (exaggeration on my part) and on and on. Then on the local news the stories were a bit more positive, states like New York are seeing a leveling off of new cases and fewer deaths...*good grief* one doesn't know what to believe. To update a Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) attributed quote. If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you do watch the news, you are misinformed.

When you watch or read the news keep in mind the old newspaper adage. "If it bleeds it leads," following the logic a ways leads to, " if it isn't bleeding make it seem like it might."  News media lives on sponsors who need viewers so they're always competing for the most dramatic story which means the most dramatic presentation.  They have a lot of influence so if panic shopping is today's story they hype it for ratings which makes it a bigger story. 

Most large news media has little credibility anymore for good reason.  

Hal Clemens didn't "Watch" the news, he read it. I know TV has been around for quite a while but not quite THAT long. 

Frosty The Lucky.

There's an old article from our local paper that is posted at some of our local businesses. It is of Twain doing a lecture early in his career in 1866 in Grass Valley, the town next to mine. It states that Twain would do great feats of sleight of hand after his lecture, which turned out to be to make 6 shots of whiskey disappear and to leave town without paying his hotel bill.

Well life down here in New Mexico is just getting a bit more traditional; I was thinking about that as I was riding through the desert (in my pickup) to work this morning wearing a bandanna pulled up over my mouth and nose (and beard).  Any folks I meet in the hall scatter to avoid me---A Marty Robbins moment to be sure... 

Read a story today that folks who are working from home are drinking a lot more. I don't drink any more or any less since this "social distancing" started. I have been wondering which genius coined that term, the very act of distancing is antisocial. Since I've been called antisocial by some, I decided to use the term "physical distancing" instead.

Thomas, putting some smoldering oakum in your beard braids would really top off the look.:lol:

Oh come ON man, you can't use old terms like BACK:angry:OFF!  You have to invent something new, something properly pretentious. At least they didn't tack a bunch of redundant sometimes contradictory suffixes on a an already irrelevant word. Remember, "religiosity"? 

There was an amusing bit of video of a guy I think in NYC who duct taped a bunch of tent poles together into a ring 12' across and hug it from himself to keep the 6' distance. Folks were stepping into intersections to avoid him while he was using a cross walk. Riding the bicycle was entertaining too.

What's wrong with 3-4 vicious  dogs on 6' leashes? 

A pitch fork and torch would clue folk into keeping their distance. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Large amounts of garlic definitely qualifies as "anti-social" distancing.  Steve, isn't your method dangerous around sparks or open flames?

As for my beard I have a selection of danglies usually based on ear rings I have been given to hang from the ties or rubber bands on the end of my braids: a set of serpentine axes, a set of anvils, a set of Laurel wreaths around  faceted garnets---for Laurel meetings in the SCA,...

IDF&C: I prefer slow match to oakum.  Didn't they Teach you anything back in school! (I used to have some slow match for the cannon...)