I Forge Iron

Coronavirus 2020

Marc1

Thomas, you will be in our prayers, heck everyone will be. 

I hope so too.

Texas isn't shutting down.... yet. The governor said he can't justify it with less than a fifth of the counties having cases. Time will tell. 

Soooooo so many people are being ruined by this. Vastly more damage than the sickness itself, at least as far as my eyes can see.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped to get a few things at the welding store today in Round Rock tx and was talking to the guy behind the counter.  He said their parent store was in Waco TX and that Waco was locking down. He also said he had heard Williamson county ( George Town and Round Rock and some smaller communities) was  supposed to lock down tomorrow . We will see.

He said the welding stores were not closing because of medical gas and being vital to industry.   What industry ?  I have a small welding fab and erect business about to be shut down .

Brazos County doesn't have a clear answer for total life-interrupting lockdown just yet. Just the standard CDC stuff, no more than 10 people, wash your hands, etc. 

I wonder if Heavy Equipment Technicians are essential to industry?? 

I know this too shall pass, the challenge is staying positive. My anxiety, ADHD, and MDD are definitely fighting that. Lots of prayer. And deep breathes... 

Goodness what strange times these are.

The laws on what grounds the state or county can issue Public Health mandates and to what extent are very much dependent on location.  The NM Governor mentioned that what we are doing here in NM is based on what is allowed by our laws; 11 of 33 counties have reported confirmed cases and she does NOT want to wait till it gets out of hand and has uncontrollable spread. She also cut the number to 5 or less people per "allowed" gathering.

She mentioned that this is not expected to prevent the spread; just to slow it down to where our medical system can deal with it.  I'm awaiting my orders; otherwise I'll have to come in tomorrow to read my email telling me not to.

To follow up on TP's comments, most states have very broad public health statutes which allow various authorities to close businesses and public gatherings and, sometimes, to quarantine persons or premises if necessary to protect the public health.  Many of these laws date to the 1918-20 influenza pandemic or various measles, etc. epidemics of the first part of the 20th century.  Gunnison, CO basically barricaded the town in 1918 and anyone who arrived by train or otherwise had to be quarantined.  If they refused they were quarantined in the county jail.  No deaths from the 'flu in Gunnison.

Stay safe, take reasonable measures, keep social distance, wash your hands, but remember that this is not the Black Death.

GNM

Meh, I've had H1N1, and the prairie dogs in my home town had the plague. I'm not worried about the Corona for my own physical health sake. 

Brazos County just issued a 2 week shelter in place, effective tomorrow night. We shall see tomorrow if work says we are "essential" or not. 

I just deleted one of my typically long winded tales as a prelude to a suggestion I'd like to make. Don't worry folks I'm not going to go Caleb on you but this is a way to prepare for this coming to YOUR town.

Deb and her students and other dog people have been discussing ways to care for their: dogs, cats and livestock if one is taken ill. It's more complicated than it sounds, not any dog fits any place so they determined who would take care of who's dogs, cats, fish, sheep, etc. and who would be alternates, etc. 

I know we can't just have the IFI pet care and foster program, it has to be local. So, that's my suggestion as something we as people facing a crisis CAN DO to prepare. 

Let's network with IFI members and others in our communities close enough to be practical in taking in or caring for their animals if they're incapacitated. You'll need to determine if your household can take in a given dog. Is it compatible, is it reactive to other animals or people in your home? etc. It may want to eat your dog or vis versa.

For example We have 3 dogs and 2 cats. Our old dog Abby is very non reactive and will fit in almost anywhere. Our male Dachshund, Baxter is okay with other dogs if introduced properly, LOVES cats but doesn't like young children, they're too rough and move too fast so he's reactive. The female Dachshund loves every-darned-body so that issue is with how reactive other pets may be to her. There are a pair of sisters who live close that will take turns making sure the cats have food and water. Our animals are covered with alternate care givers if Deb and or I fall ill. We also have room for other people's pets. 

Remember, we're dealing with EXPONENTIAL GROWTH  RATES in COVID 19 spread. If 10 cases are visible there are probably at least 30 more that aren't and 900 next day. We need to get ahead of it or just take it. 

The above is something I believe we CAN DO to get ahead of it. The suggestion doesn't just apply to our animals or course, maybe someone belongs to a garden club and can care for another's orchids. This isn't my idea but I think I can contribute to our general well being by passing it on.  What the hey, can't hurt and might help. No? 

Frosty The Lucky.

That is a great idea Frosty. We have backup help for our kennels and also for our farm animals. And backups for the backups. We also backup for other farms. 

Mules, sheep, cows and pigs can go somewhere else if they need to without too much worry, but we have to have someone come here to take care of the dogs if worse comes to worse.

20 hours ago, CtG said:

I wonder if Heavy Equipment Technicians are essential to industry?? 

Unfortunately, per all of the list I have seen it is not essential. Pennsylvania  has a really good list no their website that is based on Federal guidelines, which is what most states seem to be following. Essentially all construction is shut down with the exception of emergency calls for heating, electrical, or plumbing issues. Each state can set their rules so they may vary some. You are allowed to work on projects for essential industries in most cases. Our company is working in a couple food plants, and a surgery center, but we decided to shut down all job regardless. Management decided it wasn't worth the risk or liability to keep those jobs running. In Ohio at least they are relying on the companies to self police, but the local health department can shut you down if they decide you are not essential. But, agriculture is exempt and is considered essential. I have gotten emails from all of the companies I use for parts and supplies and they are all open with modified procedures. Ag equipment repair will remain open.

In preparation for "the surge" there have also been quite a few layoffs in the heath care industry. My wife has already made a round or two of cuts to her staff. It seems very counter intuitive to cut hospital staffing at this time, but if a hospital doesn't have any "infected" patients they probably don't have any patients. The govern eliminated elective surgeries, nobody is going in for rehab, or Dr appointments, or even to the ER or urgent care if they are sick. A lot of hospitals are not going to be able to afford keeping staff on with no billable income.

I have been told by a general contractor that we do a lot of work for that construction work is one of the activities deemed essential here in Central Texas. We were told that they would be providing us with paperwork to continue work.

We will see. 

After saying that I noticed several truck going by the house hauling grindings, it made me curious so I decided to look at what Ohio stated. It says construction of essential infrastructure is allowed (which I assumed it was.) It also describes building hospitals, distribution centers, grocery stores, marinas, ect....even residential housing. So there is a lot of construction allowed apparently. We are a GC, and we have our own steel fab shop that does outside fab as well. It will be interesting to see if any of our steel fab customers are still working and looking for steel. I would be willing to guess 3/4 of our current work load could squeeze into the "essential infrastructure" if we tried. Our management is fairly conservative and employee safety is a major concern so it doesn't surprise me the route they took.

I think it's interesting how different states are reacting. I thought I heard the governor of Texas said he would put the states economy in front of citizens welfare. On the other hand the governor of Ohio pretty much said he would shut down the whole state to save one person.

Its also interesting to see what businesses deem themselves "essential." Harbor Freight is open, but dentist are closed. Whirlpool is open (makes washer machines locally) but the auto parts manufacturer is closed.

New Mexico: "No more than 5 people in a contiguous space"  clarification from "No more than 5 people in a building". I'm in my (private) office with the door closed.  As I'm on the High Risk list (x3); my boss would like me to work from home; but with no internet access there I can't do anything.

We are on extended spring break for another 10 days anyway; so I expect  having  a window in my office will be a big plus...

My Step Son in Law in Ohio is having problems. His wife works with a Horse Therapy organization and all sessions have been cancelled; but the horses still need to be fed and shod and taken care of.  They are discussing if they will have to fold or euthanize horses to try to keep from bankruptcy.  The staff has pretty much been working without pay; but there are limits to how long that can last too. 

That's sad to hear Thomas. If they are short on feed I have some round bales I could spare. If they are close to my area you can PM me..

Hopefully this all straightens out in the next few weeks. If not I'm afraid there will be a lot of people in similar situations.