I Forge Iron

Coronavirus 2020

Marc1

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We dont have a high predator load here. But I think raising them in tractors help also with the daily moves. It takes a night or two for the coons and what not to figure out how to get into something. So if you move it every day it becomes a new structure to them and they have to work all over again to figure out the weak points. Mobility is key.  

Frosty. I'm not sure if you dropped off in the middle we had like 3 of them going haha. Just hadn't heard from you in awhile. 

We got our address by requesting one from the borough. We don't get our mail here but you have to have a physical address so we applied. Nobody could find our place with GPS, turned out the borough ignored the lat/long and just assigned us one. Put the little push pin on the GPS screen about 3 blocks away about 100' a different street in a marsh. I had to visit the borough office in person and show them the satellite picture of our house with their marker away over yonder in the marsh to convince them of the mistake. It was corrected y time I got home. 

Just make SURE the governing body gets the details straight and it's quick and easy. 

With my memory as screwed up as it is you just have to remind me if I stop talking, Tommie. Shoot me an email and remind me where we were. It'd be nice, my inbox has been too darned empty recently. 

Frosty The Lucky.

The Colorado county I formerly worked for assigned addresses based on where a driveway intersected a county road, not the location of the residence.  The last 3 digits were a fraction of a mile from the county road intersection to the east. e.g. if you were halfway between county roads 15 and 16 on County Road R (numbered roads run N-S, lettered roads E-W) your address would be 15500 Co. Rd. R..  It's a little more interesting if the county terrain isn't flat and the roads aren't on a grid but this system helps emergency services find the entrance to a rural driveway at night or in low visibility conditions by watching their odometer.

GNM

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

That is the way our address is set by the 911 re-addressal does our addresses. The problem we had with them was they showed our drive way as the county road so we had traffic through our front yard for a long time. The driveway is a half mile long to the house and a quarter mile to the other entrance (a big circular drive up the hill). I had to put a sign out (with a barricade) that said Private drive no outlet, your GPS is wrong. It took us about a year to get all the mapmakers (Google, Map Quest etc) to change the maps. In the 38 years we have lived here our address has changed four times, started out as Rt 5 box # then Rt 7 then CR 594 box # to what it is today. Caused a lot of problems when we applied for a loan with the bank saying we moved around too much. ?????

Yeah, that's how it's supposed to be done here too George, the borough swears the guy drove by and recorded the GPS location of our driveway. However if you search our address it's located on our leech field.  It's close enough though, your GPS tells you to turn up our driveway and so far everybody's stopped before following the directions out in the tall grass. 

Our mailing address is at the local UPS store so we're okay. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Strange things happen with the mapping.  We live in a remote area out in the country, VERY little traffic our way, just landowners.  One night, I was browsing Google satellite view to see if there were any updates to them and shazamm!! there was a Google blue line showing Street View's little econocar camera had come down our remote gravel county road and there, lo and behold, was our driveway on Street View.  Go figure...maybe he was lost and the camera was running, LOL

There is a dirt alley next to our property that goes back to 3 other houses---ex-family land that gradually got split up; built on and sold off. We bought ours from a guy with the original last name for the area.  Always an issue  for deliveries as they were supposed to have A,B,C,D on their addresses and never bothered.  When they had to have the addresses locked down for emergency services, the alleyway (on an easement on my property) suddenly got a name and we were told our address would have to change as our front door faced the alley/drive way and not the paved county road right in front of the house.   My wife went down and showed them on the satellite picture that our back door had it's own driveway, (used to be His&Hers parking) and it was off the county road and so we got to keep the address we had been using for now 16 years.

County road is on an easement on my property too.  Funny to go out and find the survey markers on the far side of the pavement.

Frosty, OUCH;  My wife has been bugging me to get me to drive both of my trucks so the new one stays charged up.  Then finds  her van sitting in the driveway dead as a door nail.  I checked and added distilled water to the battery and then charged it for an hour off my old truck and it started. Then got to follow her around to make sure it would start again as she ran errands including a 52 mile run to the larger population sink to buy stuff they don't carry locally.  Both of us in masks; about 1/2 the store patrons unmasked.

So no forging this weekend as the long trip was to buy swamp cooler parts as it's that time again.  When I pulled the sides off it looked like Luray caverns in there.  As I'm living at home I'm going to drain and refill the water more often to cut down on the lime build up.  

Anyway I got all of my share of the swamp cooler tasks done, most up on the roof carrying old parts down and new ones up. Tonight I'll start on getting my wife's tasks done on it.

I did get to pull the shaft from my 25# LG. Turns out there was a suitable joist right over it to hang a come-a-along on.  Had to ask my wife to help as I could hold the shaft, counterweight and pulley/clutch but couldn't unhook it.  I miss having my smithing buddies visiting on a regular basis!

"Celebrate the 4th. by drinking a 5th. on the 6th.," is a tired old joke one of the old timer drillers used to say for about a week before the 4th. of July. 

Any event on the 4th. of any month reminds me of Ralph.

Frosty The Lucky. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well ... it seems we are over the worse in Sydney. Very few new cases coming up. The deadliest source of virus that lead to numerous dead was that confounded Ruby Princess cruise ship that was allowed to disembark despite medical advice against it. Lots of crocodile tear over this blunder will not bring back the dead. 

Allin all we are doing well comparing to other countries ... but no complacency. The virus is out there and will be for a long time unfortunately. 

• 2 months later...

The Covid vaccine will go down in history as the biggest potential business ever, with the possibility of it being made compulsory in many countries. Development paid by taxpayer and then billions in profits for private enterprise.
With this carrot dangling in front, the donkeys are cutting corners like never before. Ethics gone out the door, protocol non existent.

In a nutshell, what makes this vaccine difficult is the fact that no one was able to isolate the virus.
A vaccine is based on the idea of inoculating the patogen, so that the person can develop antibodies against it, but without the nasty effects of the illness. To achieve this, the patogen, be it virus or bacteria is attenuated, so that it loses the potential for development but gives the organism the chance to recognise it and fight it when it is the real thing. Basically it is about giving the body some training using blanks.
But what happens if you can not isolate the virus? You can not attenuate it and so you can not make a vaccine. Simple.

What they have done in Oxford is to break down the virus and take parts of it's RNA and reproduce it in a synthetic form. The body will recognise this synthetic form and then act against the real thing, or so they hope.
There is a catch though. This synthetic virus made of a simulated RNA will become part of the DNA of the person with unknown consequences. No one knows what it will alter and to what degree. It is the shonkiest and most rushed and botched "vaccine" humanity has ever seen. When asked, many well known professors in immunology if they would have the vaccine themselves, they all said no.

Here is a bit of a chat about some vaccines, but written mainly with data from AstraZeneca who has the most to gain, and WHO that ... basically xxx x xxxxx xx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx.
https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/20/...of%20patients.