I Forge Iron

Coronavirus 2020

Marc1

I mix in powdered ghost peppers. I've got a few bushes that are around 5 years old that produce way more than I can eat, even when I sprinkle a little bit on everything savory. I dehydrate them and then put them into the single-purpose and well-labeled coffee grinder. There was an instance when someone in the household mixed up the grinders... :blink:

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to search for Marquette wood, but haven't yet found what it is. Is that possibly an autocorrect from mesquite? 

I generally use similar wood for the other things I smoke as what you describe. I use oak and pecan or hickory for pork also. 

it was a spell checker induced typo

Fruit woods.  Peach, pear, apple, what have you..  Poke a lot of holes in the tin foil so the smoke can do it's job.  Old pizza pans work even better.  Smoke/cook until they get really broken down and slimey.  :)  Wood fired pizza and it's crust cannot be beaten!

I'm quite a fan of wood fired pizza as well. I have pizza stones for my kamado Joe, but I may prefer the crust directly on the grate. It cooks incredibly fast, though, so you have to cook one side ~30 seconds, flip, add cheese, thin (precooked if cooking is required) toppings, and already-hot pizza sauce, in that order. Temp for cooking is >1000F. 

Each pizza takes between 1-1.5 minutes. 

I think it is obvious, but use very thin dough. 

• 5 months later...

I thought about starting a new thread but then going back through this one decided not to. We are still doing OK and observing all the precautions recommended and staying on our mountain. Fortunately I kinda like being a hermit but miss going to the BOA meetings (which is another story).

Looking back at the numbers we all posted early on with nostalgia. Back in April Carroll County had I think 3 confirmed cases and no deaths. Yesterday we have 2,125 confirmed cases and 35 deaths. At least the supply chain has returned to normal around here, so we haven't had any problems keeping stocked, except for canned dog food, our store we shop in hasn't had any in months. Fortunately the Walmart near us has plenty so we stock up when we go there.

It's a strange new world and I hope everyone is getting along OK too.

Still staying pretty deeply sheltered.  I'm only going out for groceries and propane for the shop.  We've been using Walmart's pickup service.  It's something of a hassle to select and pay on line but there is very little human contact.  I am missing my friends and family but the internet and IFI help.

My son had to stay in North Dakota for the holidays which was hard but we have to do what we have to do to be safe.  As a guy said on my Viet Nam unit's website when they cancelled the 2020 reunion, "Good decision.  It makes no sense to walk into an ambush."

As the yard signs say around here, "Better times are coming, Cowpokes."

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I'm officially working remotely; except for when I have to do something hands on in the building.  Then I wear mask and gloves---typing on a computer wearing exam gloves does NOT improve my speed or accuracy! The entire University is pretty locked down, all students coming on campus this semester had to be tested BEFORE they were able to do anything else---like move in!  Most classes are done remotely. Labs are socially distanced. (Had one of my colleagues in IT complain that 1/2 the systems in the lab were powered down; I explained that that was to keep students spaced apart---and he told me they had done that in his labs as well---sorry!) Staff has regular testing. There is a tracking system.  University website has pages on Covid-19 at the university. We have 6 active cases in quarantine on campus and a total of 55 that have been reported, quarantined, tested and released back into the community.  31 cases in my zipcode.

And in 6 days I get my first shot of the "double tap"!  (Now I just wish my cardio was getting more attention.)

I've been asked to teach an intro class at Fine Arts, Metals, my "get them hooked" class on blacksmithing; but that will have to wait for a couple of weeks after the second shot.

The VA here in Fayetteville has been giving the shots to those that want them. They have set up a drive through to get them. They have you pull over to an area where a tech checks on everyone for adverse reactions at least 15 min. before clearing them to leave. A couple of my friends have already received them. I never signed up for VA medical because I had excellent health Ins. at work and now I'm retired I have SS/Medicare.

Deb and I are still staying to ourselves except for groceries, scripts and mail. The Fred Meyer curb pick up works pretty well but they miss stuff they have on the shelf. Beat unnecessary exposure though. WalMart has better supply so their shelves are better stocked. 

Staying home though. We're scheduled to get our booster, Feb. 11 and should be as covered as we're going to get by mid March. 

Alaska has done a great job of getting the vaccine distributed and administered, there are folks complaining . . . Of course, but Ak is rated #1 for distribution, vaccine arrives and goes to vacc centers. 

Yesterday was the 2nd day new infections were under 100, deaths ZERO and hospitalizations are falling rapidly. Being partially isolated as we are helps considerably though we're one of the most active hubs for international air travel. Still the Ted Stevens Int airport in Anch underwent a major renovation and upgrade a couple years ago and the old terminal had been designated as the international terminal and the connections are pretty biologically clean. Multiple air locks and an outdoor walk to travel between international and domestic terminals.

I feel bad for states, cities, etc. where testing and vaccination is being so badly mishandled. Hiring competent folks is what elections are about. Forget politics please, you deserve better.

Frosty The Lucky.

For once in my life I am actually happy my autism and hard life left me nothing except my wife. No friends or family to miss or lose. And with my deskjob as a Eplan Engineer I never spoke much to folks anyway, always wear my headphones to keep the noise out of my head. Been working from home for almost a year now and it gave me some much needed rest after renovating the house for 2 years and working 40 hours for a boss. I hope I can keep doing this after the world turns normal again. Last rule we got to live with is a curfew, had a few days of riots and a lot of stores/cities being destroyed and plundered, maybe the stores will open back up in march, but I doubt it.

My wife got her second dose of the vaccine early in the week. One thing to keep in mind, side affects are much more common after the second dose. Nothing major, but quite a few people missing a day or two of work after the second. 

She always gives blood regularly, and the Red Cross checks every donation for antibodies. The donation after her first vaccination dose did show that she had antibodies, so apparently it is effective. 

Her organization has opened up a community clinic to vaccinate any community member that qualify per Ohio’s current eligibility rules. For me personally, I have a long ways to go before I’m eligible for anything. 

On 1/28/2021 at 5:36 PM, Fowllife said:

I have a long ways to go before I’m eligible for anything. 

For ANYTHING?! :o

I hereby formally declare you eligible for Iforge character status!

Better now? :)

Frosty The Lucky.

I get my second Moderna shot tomorrow.  Healthcare worker.  But I take care of cardiac and vascular ultrasound for a large medical practice so not knowingly scanning anybody that is currently infectious.  Have scanned a few after they have recovered.  Legs for blood clots and some high school kids to clear their hearts for returning to sports.

Frosty - thanks for making me eligible for “something.” I’ll gladly take character status:)

JD - good luck with your second dose. Moderna is also what my wife got, she had a fever and body aches for 5-6 days after her second dose. Im sure she was the outlier though as the typical side effects only last a day or two if any. 

My local VA clinic(Durango,Co) still has no idea when they will give out shots to vets, or what the priorities will be. A friend in Colorado Springs called a local pharmacy that was doing shots and got a hostile? reaction and a flat no. He then called the Colorado covid hotline and was quickly hooked up with a lady who quite promptly and efficiently set up with an appointment to make an appointment for the shop. No dates given, just a name on a list.