I Forge Iron

Coronavirus 2020

Marc1

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My neighbors have chickens and turkeys and dogs and I'm having to close the bedroom window between 4 and 5 if we want to sleep till dawn.  They use an air conditioner...OTOH it's fun watching the turkeys chase their Great Pyrenees around. Their ducks and goats are relatively quiet.

The Turkeys can really be territorial.  My Step-Granddad had one that would chase me around every time I went back into the pens.  That didn't bother Granddad, but he favored my little brother, so when my little brother complained about the offending Tom, we had him for dinner that Sunday! :lol:

Oh my, I had 2 Banty hens and a rooster when I was a kid, before high school. Before they all got given away (without my knowledge) I had 7~9 hens and 3 roosters, and little brown eggs for days!! They were better than any store bought eggs for sure. I wouldn't mind getting back into chicken raising, those birds are very alert. No tom foolery or high jinkery went on unnoticed with them on duty. Very pet like, sweetest dispositions, 'cept for the rooster, he'ld just as soon kick ya.

Yeah, my folks had a big boy at one point with spurs maybe 2.5" long.. I did not enjoy that bird. The big mean ole' geese we had didn't bother me much, but that nasty beasty...  A quick google search makes me want to say he was a Copper Maran? We had quite the mixed bag of chickens, only a handful of roosters ever though. The big ole Brahma we had when I was a kid was a sweet guy. 

The geese were vicious, but had big ole eggs, often double yolkers. Real rich too.

Well, 9th anniversary, no going out for us... I still have a job but work is drying up. Several of the field guys have gone without a full days worth of jobs for several days.  We shall see how long it holds out.

I don't expect Brit news readers to be any better informed than the "personalities" on our news. The only safe distance is far FAR away. If it's aerosolized then it's a matter of how far it drifts before the RNA/DNA breaks up and is no longer viable, coupled with how many virus particles it takes to become infected. 

Just stay away from Deb and I and you won't get hurt. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I just don't understand what people don't seem to get about social distancing.  I think one needs to stay far enough from another that if one of you sneezes or coughs, the other isn't in the line of fire.  I couldn't believe it.  Yesterday, my phone rang and it was the Neurologist's receptionist calling to remind me of an appointment.  Told her I was just on my way to call her when the phone rang.  I was cancelling my appointment.  "CANCELLING?" I told her I'm not leaving the house for anything.  She quickly goes into this tirade about how clean and safe their office is and how everyone in the office is wearing masks, etc., etc., etc. and that everything would be fine..........and I'd be safe.  I asked if she could guarantee my safety in the foyer of the building..............or in the elevator..........or the tiny little restrooms they have on each floor.  (Crickets!)  I just told her to have the Doctor call me at my appointment time and we could do our business over the phone.  For God's sake, was she kidding?????

Debi had to go to the dentist for an emergency root canal last Monday. The dentist is over in Rogers about 50 miles away and they have a bunch of confirmed cases over there. At the time Carroll County had 0 confirmed cases. She took every precaution possible over there because she said we didn't need any foreign germs brought back from there.

BTW Carroll county now has 3 confirmed cases as of today. Folks really need to take this stuff seriously.

My dentist called me this morning to cancel next week's checkup. I told her that I'd assumed they'd be cancelling, given the "dentists closed except for emergencies" part of the Ohio governor's order.

Woke up this morning and found something else had decided to shelter in place with us.  Nice fat scorpion on the wall in our master bathroom. Caught it in one of my ever growing pile of empty pill bottles, (good sized as it's for a 3 month supply), and left it on the kitchen table for my wife to see when she wakes up.  I hope we can get some good pictures of it to sent to the kids and grandkids and I expect part of my Saturday will be walking it out across the arroyo and letting it go.  Fat as it is I wonder if it's about ready to have babies?

I'm not expecting the current directives to stop the spread of Covid-19; just hoping it will slow it down enough not to break the health care system. We currently have 4 known cases in our county; but of course we have 0 hospitals able to deal with major problems.

Well; this is week 2 in lockdown-light (as in, we're free to go shopping and whatever; but try to stay at home). In Belgium; this is starting to flatten the curve; as our ICU beds are about 50% full. (counting an ICU bed as artificially ventilated with 100% oxygen and doctor & nurses available). if we don't loose too much health personel, and people stick to the social distancing for a while; we won't reach the 100% mark; where terrible choices will have to be made. We probably won't stop this, but we will stay below the breaking point of our infrastructure. However; this is Belgium, there are 11.4 milion people living here, this is smaller than New York, and we have more highly advanced medical facilities & hospitals than most other countries in the world; and we spend over 10 % of GDP on social welfare ...

What gives me trouble to sleep at night is the billions of other people in the world, who will probably suffer a lot worse from this pandemic. 

And what bothers me is the goverments & companies using this pandemic to do stock buybacks, pay bonusses, issue dividents, issue more deth, to do reorganisations, to reduce costs, to lay-off people ... pretty much everything that got us in this much economic trouble in the first place. Some common sense, compassion and social awareness should be the lesson from this pandemic, but I fear few will see it that way. I suppose we will need new leadership, and our old style leadership won't go away without passing under a guilliotine first