I Forge Iron

Coronavirus 2020

Marc1

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well; I have a medically schooled wife, I've seen lots of this virus and I've seen what it can do, and how dangerous it is. And I'm serious when I say, do not underestimate this, as this virus can have a serious fysical impact on you. This is the time to invest in yourself, avoid this thing, get healthy, learn a new skill .. that kinda thing. 

However; it's not going to go away. There are too many things that simply do not logically make sense. Here in Belgium; we currently do not have a governement, due to our deadlocked political system. But the "temporary" governement has an easy time actually, since the money velocity is dropped enourmously, people are afraid and do very effectively what you say ... I got zero proof however, so take my ramblings as the words of an old fool if you will, but something is "off". Can't really explain what however.

My boss (+2) told me the other day he actually liked everybody homeworking. Average hours went up from 7 to 9 a day, and he sees more productivity, so even without virus, he would recommend working at home. Of course, working as a core business system administrator, or deep-down-cellar-ICT for normal folks, this is to be expected.

Our political game is ruled by the "never let a good crisis go to waste" credo  in Belgium. But Belgium is too small to matter on a global scale, so I'm taking care of my loved ones and watch the show pass by. And forge some cool kitchen knives in the additional free time :D

Greetings, Bart

I for one don't take it lightly.  I have an 80 year old mother living in my household.  I've taken rather drastic measures to mitigate any chance of infection on this end.  I was taking a pot shot at Big Pharma amongst other things.  Belgium is beautiful.  My sister used to live there and we had an opportunity to visit.  

We have members from over 150 world wide countries.  It adds flavor (pun intended) to the discussions and the site. 

Your local customs seems norman to you because it si normal.  But who eats mud bugs (crawfish) by the bushel, lutefisk made from salted cod, pickled in lye, or makes moonshine that can double as paint remover, or rocket fuel?  We will not mention fried or scrambled eggs with ketchup on them.

My dad used to eat canned peaches with cottage cheese and ketchup.

I was introduced to fries with mayo when I lived in NYC and a place called “Pommes Frites” opened near my wife’s work selling Belgian-style fries. Surprisingly good!

They sell it in stands by the side of the road in Belgium.   Of course they consider adding "corn" to everything as making it "American Style" in a lot of Europe too.   Corn on Pizza!

My parents spent 4 years in the Netherlands as part of a joint venture; my younger brother did high school there.  I was on my own by then and just visited a time or two. (Hmmm I remember going over and telling them I was getting married; and then coming back when my first child; their first grandchild,  was a young toddler...)

On 8/17/2020 at 7:59 PM, JHCC said:

“Pommes Frites”

Ahh, yes, Pommes Frites. I did my senior year in high school in France. Sold in little sidewalk stands near the center of town. Seems like they had vinegar, but no ketshup.

On 8/18/2020 at 6:43 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Of course they consider adding "corn" to everything as making it "American Style"

There was a Garth Brooks special on a while ago and he was talking about squeaking by raising his kids and how they ate a lot of packaged rice. Once in a while he'd add corn to make it fancy. 

Mayo is good on everything, I'll have to try some on spaghetti next time I make a batch. I make mashed potatoes with mayo instead of butter and milk. Mayo :wub: Mmmmmmm.

Ever make your own mayo? It's amazingly easy and opens real flavor possibilities. Infuse the oil with a flavor you like and whip up a batch. Garlic mayo is good but the real surprise was fresh Tarragon mayo, makes outstanding tartar sauce. The trick to infusing fresh herbs into oil is to crush it and leave it soak in a room temp place. 

Using a different acidic than vinegar opens different flavors: lemon and lime juice are really tasty. Cilantro and lime mayo. Hmmm?

I've never tried fries and mayo though, next time I guess. 

Frosty The Lucky.

My goodness John who puts mayo on anything in thin layers? :o 

Mayo browns well on grilled toast because of the egg and oil. Grilled cheese or ham and cheese gets mayo on my flat top. Oh yeah it most certainly does. Mmmmm. 

Honest guys, mayonnaise is a truly magnificent non-Newtonian fluid in it's magicalness.

Frosty The Lucky.

Mayo is really good, but i hardly ever use it actually. It always bumps me to see that people consider mayo one thing. In fact, most fries-places have 2 kinds; normal mayo (made with lemon juice), and sweet mayo (made with eggs, and in general smoother). And then there's tartar

Then you go abroad and everybody considers mayo the sweet stuff, like in the hamburger restaurants in those bags. 

5 hours ago, BartW said:

people consider mayo one thing. 

If you grow up being told thing 1 is a woozle, then you call that thing a woozle. It does not ever cross your mind that some other place has three kinds of woozle, and the variety that you are familiar with is a green woozle in that other place.  

Ketchup wasn't quite the same in Tanzania, either. But it was certainly ketchup. We all have our ways, and it is just different. 

Now, if someone visits you in Belgium and has an opportunity to experience multiple styles of mayonnaise and expand their palate, and yet still cannot recognize the difference... Well, not everyone is a connoisseur. :rolleyes:

Edited by Chris Williams
Clarification.

Try mixing 2 heaping tablespoons of my world famous Trinidadian Habenero Sauce with 1/2 cup of mayo for a taste sensation.  It's really not hot, I blanch, de-seed and vein the chilis.  I sometimes use Mirxxle Whxp instead.  I am uncouth from time to time.

Miracle:wacko:Whip. <shudder>

Mayo one thing, like gravy is one thing?:huh: I think of it like a category of sauce with commercial products like Hellman's or Kraft being the most basic. One of my favorite "fast(?)" food flavors is Arby's Horsey Sauce, mayo with a little horseradish, just the right amount of bite/heat without being overpowering. 

Frosty The Lucky.