I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

jlpserviceinc,  when quoting a comment, remember to delete any photographs unless they're absolutely necessary for a question. They really eat up bandwidth. Thanks. 

Thanks for the reminder..  I'm still figuring stuff out..  In fact I can't seem to find the edit button to remove the picture..     

I have 3 anvils with 1.5" hardy holes and found an easy way to get tooling for them is to buy top swages with badly mushroomed ends and forge the striking ends  down to fit the hardy holes.  Luckily I have a large screwpress that is brilliant in dressing the sides flat and parallel after forging near to size. 

I do that too, I took a section of sq tubing that fit and cut down the diagonals about an inch; then heat and bend out the tabs to rest on the anvil.  I then repeated the process to have a nesting set that will take the hardy to a "standard" 1" so I can use the tools from other anvils on the big one---but I do make/modify large tooling for jobs I do a lot of!

It seems more like a show piece than a work tool to me, but yes I agree a lot of detail in it. 

There would be a bit of getting used to have the vice right there ... :)

Here is another one. At first it seems the anvil is small but in this one you can see an A4 page on the pin board for size comparison

16473361_1246462262056576_32204682410100