I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Some folks are made of money...others are cheap like me! If you can find a place where they are building a large deck or an A frame roof there will often be a pile of framing wood cut offs about the same size.  Make friends with someone in construction!

So brand your name on it; make a hand forged tong rack to stick on it. (I like 2 stout ones mounted on opposing sides so you can lift the block up by them to carry it---carry the anvil as a separate trip!!!!!!  Only down time accident I've had was when 2 college students tried to carry the mine timber anvil stump with the anvil still on it. It turned turtle and dumped the anvil. One got out of the way and the other watched it hit the concrete horn first---the divot's still there and acts as a warning when I tell this story teaching an intro class---and watched it roll over onto his foot.  No broken bones; but unfortunately that "Master Class" didn't improve his life skills any.

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Some folks are made of money...others are cheap like me! If you can find a place where they are building a large deck or an A frame roof there will often be a pile of framing wood cut offs about the same size.  Make friends with someone in construction!

So brand your name on it; make a hand forged tong rack to stick on it. (I like 2 stout ones mounted on opposing sides so you can lift the block up by them to carry it---carry the anvil as a separate trip!!!!!!  Only down time accident I've had was when 2 college students tried to carry the mine timber anvil stump with the anvil still on it. It turned turtle and dumped the anvil. One got out of the way and the other watched it hit the concrete horn first---the divot's still there and acts as a warning when I tell this story teaching an intro class---and watched it roll over onto his foot.  No broken bones; but unfortunately that "Master Class" didn't improve his life skills any.

Oh yes, I always carry the anvil separate from the stump. 

How would you go about branding the stump? 

Running iron heated to a black heat or make a brand or set of brands (letters) heated to a black heat.  You may want to have a demo piece of wood on the crowd size really impresses the kids when you tell them "this piece is too cold to forge now" and touch it to a block of wood that bursts into smoke and flame....

I was visiting my mom this afternoon (and she thanks all of you for your prayers in her recent illness, by the way), and noticed that she still keeps my first anvil as a paperweight. 

IMG_2509.JPG

3 hours ago, JHCC said:

I was visiting my mom this afternoon (and she thanks all of you for your prayers in her recent illness, by the way), and noticed that she still keeps my first anvil as a paperweight. 

Nice.. My first anvil was 10lbs..  I used to have to chase it across the floor.. :) 

Here is a few pics of Brooks anvil I just picked up and the stand I made to put it on. The anvil is in great condition and the oil soaked sand filled legs on the heavy stand makes it a great combination. Takes it from an earsplitting ring to a dull thud.

20170330_215843.jpg

20170330_215933.jpg

20170330_170750.jpg

20170330_174657.jpg

20170330_193015.jpg

20170330_202253.jpg

20170330_202259.jpg

20170330_215748.jpg

My first anvil, its an 132 lb/60kg cast steel with an hardened  wellded top. Letters on the side "UHI" and a 6 star, no clue on the maker .

Previous owner was a 90 year old  man who couldnt forge anymore so we sold it very cheap. All I need now is a tree stump.

IMG_20170401_200133.jpg

IMG_20170401_200054.jpg

IMG_20170401_200044.jpg

IMG_20170401_200030.jpg

Here is my first anvil... just collected it on Saturday there...

I'm no expert, but I'm told that the "2 1 24" means:

2 hundredweight, plus 1 quarter hundredweight, plus 24 lb.

Which equals 276 lb / 125 kg in my calculations! 

IMG_20170403_213842.jpg

5 minutes ago, JK Scotland said:

Here is my first anvil... just collected it on Saturday there...

I'm no expert, but I'm told that the "2 1 24" means:

2 hundredweight, plus 1 quarter hundredweight, plus 24 lb.

Which equals 276 lb / 125 kg in my calculations! 

Your calculations are correct!  Very nice anvil, and looks like it's in good shape. You might want to take the paint off with a wire wheel, but don't do any grinding on the top. Working the hot metal is probably the only polishing it needs. 

9 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

So many Anvils!

It is such a new lease on life since I got my Dream Anvil in January - No more sobbing and wailing and pining away at the good fortune of others on this thread!:rolleyes:

Robert Taylor

There was a smashing good deal on Zoro.com.  25% coupon.. free shipping..  I paid more and had to drive 15hrs to get the 368HB I picked up last year..

This was the second time I got the coupon.. first time it expired before I could checkout,  so I said if I get another coupon I'll just do it...

As a bonus all of the Hardie tools from the 175HB fit perfectly.

Congrats on getting your dream anvil...