I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

2 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Wow, 2 nice ones..   JT what's the hardie hole size?

jlpservicesinc  by this photo it looks like 1 1/2"  its 14 1/2" tall and 30 1/2" long ..  JT

imageAQHCRAP6.jpg

image6593BM6A.jpg

11 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Very neat.. Thanks for the info..  Where did you purchase it from Retailer or private sale?

I bought it from a retailer in Austria .. I got it added to a large shipment coming over so I got a much better deal on shipping. all in all still much cheaper then I could have ever gotten one this size here.. about $3.80 a lb. JT

12 hours ago, JT said:

I bought it from a retailer in Austria .. I got it added to a large shipment coming over so I got a much better deal on shipping. all in all still much cheaper then I could have ever gotten one this size here.. about $3.80 a lb. JT

That's excellent..  Looking forwards to you getting it up and running..   Are you going to start a separate thread? I'd certainly like to know more..

Jackpot. This is a 1910, 189#, Lakeside, made by Hay-Budden. I passed on this anvil last year. It had so much crud on it, it had almost no rebound. Went back to take a better look, the little hammer, ball bearing, and yes a heavy little paint scraper. Scraped and scraped.....rebound! After a couple of hours of the wire wheel. Under the barn dust, a thick layer of greasy grime, and at least five colors of paint. This is what I found.  

N.N.F.                   Beautiful, Manchester, Michigan. USA. 

20170408_192211.jpg

Hey J,

Single pritchel, 4 1/2" wide face. Had a 1910 H-B Farriers pattern 180#s two pritchel holes, 3 1/2 wide face. It would be nice to keep them all, try to keep what I have working. 

N.N.F.                        Beautiful, Manchester, Michigan. USA 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Congrats.. Post back how you like it. with a review.. I'd like to pick one up also but the 58 with side shelf..

Will doI  I'm a super newbie, so I'll wait until I can make a reasonably informed review.  I considered the 58 with the side shelf, but decided against it.  A buddy of mine just started importing Refflinghaus locally and I figure I can always sell this one and get a 58 if I change my mind.

14 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

G-Man, perhaps you should get some counseling in regard to all those vises?

Robert Taylor

Haha....buying, restoring and selling vises is what paid for the anvil!  I only have a handful I'm keeping for myself...maybe 5 or 6 total.

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

If you want to give it some scale you need to hammer some hot steel on it.  

nice anvil. 

I can't wait to try it, but I'm going to be smart about things for a change (I hope).

I'm not even good enough to call myself a novice, so I'm planning to use my beat up 150lb Fisher for a little while, work on hammering technique, and then make the switch.  I probably put the cart ahead of the horse, but had an opportunity to get the Refflinghaus immediately and didn't want to pass on it and then have to wait down the road.

17 minutes ago, G-ManBart said:

I'm not even good enough to call myself a novice, so I'm planning to use my beat up 150lb Fisher for a little while, work on hammering technique, and then make the switch.  I probably put the cart ahead of the horse, but had an opportunity to get the Refflinghaus immediately and didn't want to pass on it and then have to wait down the road.

Good plan. Remember to document your work, we love pictures! ;)

I payed £1.50 a Pound for it which was perhaps a little steep but I'm content. The guy who I got it from goes over to France with his brother and picks interesting oddments while he is there to bring back. He knew a lot about the sedan / donchery region that it's from but little about the anvil. French wikipedia tells me little other than when they started manufacture.

I just can't resist shiny pretties!

As for training with anvils you probably wouldn't want all extra load on your seisamoid bones, or if you are going for it you need one back and front to balance you out... ;)