I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Difference between a user and a collector and some folks can even slide into the "hoarder" category.  Think about folks and old cars: some will NEVER drive their restored cars, others want to show them off every weekend.

I have a number of anvils; but try to get them all used on a regular basis as I hate to hear them whimpering at night from not having any hot steel worked on them.  Helps if you teach as I like to have no more than 2 students per anvil to avoid anvil contention with red hot steel in the mix.

• 3 weeks later...

It needs stars in the blue field to actually be The Flag. Still I don't mind a good representation and having it displayed on the heart and soul of a blacksmith's shop is a good thing. I have to agree with Thomas, I don't like the smell of burning paint either but epoxy paint doesn't burn as easily nor smell as bad. Powder coat?

The more I think about it the more I feel representing the American Flag on your anvil is honorable. Like I already said the anvil is the heart and soul of the shop and so what if it gets scarred up. Hasn't our nation taken it's lumps, don't we bear scars, haven't we kept going? Heck I'm starting to think an anvil is a near perfect place for The Flag, let us be the anvil the world can beat itself on to forge a better world.

I'm not saying we're perfect (HAH!) I'm saying we're not a bad thing to mimic.

End patriotic yak and I'm not dissing anyone else.

Frosty The Lucky.

8 minutes ago, SkoobyNewb said:

Plan on getting it professionally resurfaced to fix that missing chunk and the various dings on the face.

Skooby, there is only so much hardened top plate on that anvil. Resurfacing it is taking usability and life Out of it. How long have you used it as is? 

3 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Skooby, there is only so much hardened top plate on that anvil. Resurfacing it is taking usability and life Out of it. How long have you used it as is? 

Got it in the spring,  the guys at NEBA said it wouldn't be bad to resurface and that its an industrial anvil shipped over from a large shop in England at around 200 years old or so.

20161208_154506.jpg

2 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I was assuming he planned to get it resurfaced by building it up rather then by milling or grinding it down; it's the only way that makes sense after all.

Yes, I was told that there are specific welding sticks that work great for exactly this.

Unless the welder tells you exactly what kind of rod and prep work he's using I'd pass. There's plenty of life left in that old girl as she is. You do NOT need those edges, there are plenty left. I've heard a LOT of high end professional welders say 7018 would work to repair an anvil. 

Just because someone is a certified welder doesn't mean they know this particular job. Welding up the face of an anvil is NOT a trivial matter, takes proper pre and post operations to do correctly.

Read up on Mr. Gunter's method till you know it by heart. THEN ask the fellow you know how he's going to do it and keep your trap shut. Let him talk and see what he knows BEFORE you let him screw with your anvil.

Frosty The Lucky.