I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Looks to have many years of condensation rusting on the face, cost  $3 .15 a pound, not bad in your area.  Check rebound---with that face it may need to be a hammer test rather than the ball bearing test. Also check for the ring.  It should ring nicely, dull or missing ring on a Peter Wright means hidden trouble (if it hasn't been fastened down to kill the ring!)

If you will be using it, I'd advise yes if it passes the test.  Note that if it is for sale on an open forum it may sell *fast*.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Looks to have many years of condensation rusting on the face, cost  $3 .15 a pound, not bad in your area.  Check rebound---with that face it may need to be a hammer test rather than the ball bearing test. Also check for the ring.  It should ring nicely, dull or missing ring on a Peter Wright means hidden trouble (if it hasn't been fastened down to kill the ring!)

If you will be using it, I'd advise yes if it passes the test.  Note that if it is for sale on an open forum it may sell *fast*.

Great info thanks.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

stake anvil.  I have one very similar only without the very extremely nice stand.   Mine had a very soft face---I hand filed it smoother.  How is yours?

My i think is kinda hard but only on Sound and rebound but i have not worked on it yet

17 minutes ago, B_HOSS said:

Here is the anvil I'm using. A good friend let me borrow it. It's a rough and ugly 150lb Vulcan. Not much but I like it. 

IMG_2985.JPG

Nothing wrong with a Vulcan Anvil in good condition. I have a ~250lb Vulcan...it's a workhorse for most projects....I don't plan to weld grapnels or anchors on it (of any scale)...but it takes a hammering, gives good rebound, and conveniently enough - it's quiet. My Wilkinson  (Dudley/Queens Crossing) is great, but repeated hours of hammering coupled with exhaust fans gives me a headache!

Just now, B_HOSS said:

It may have read differently than I meant it. I really like this anvil. I'd love if it were my own. I'm just saying that I don't have much in general. 

No-no, I understand! I never thought I'd find anything to get going with, it takes time and money  (unfortunately) to collect the things you need in a reasonable time frame .  Keep at it and it'll come together ! :)