I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Here's my first anvil. Thanks to some good info here I bought this sight unseen from an old bloke about 1500klms away and had it freighted up. Turned out to be a bit better than the photos indicated and the rebound test/ring seems very good too.

Just in the middle of making a 3 legged stand for it. Almost done, just adding some foot plates so I can fill it with sand, and a few other bits and bobs.

20170227_171707.jpg

20170301_174756.jpg

20170227_171610.jpg

Yup, he sold it as a 80kg anvil as thats what it was when he bought it. He said there were markings on it but they faced a wall and he couldn't move the anvil and the 2 pictures he sent were dark and blurry. So it was a nice surprise that the markings cleaned up so nicely. Another bonus is the marks indicate 217lbs, closer to 100kgs than 80. 

40 minutes ago, Rupes said:

Here's my first anvil. Thanks to some good info here I bought this sight unseen from an old bloke about 1500klms away and had it freighted up. Turned out to be a bit better than the photos indicated and the rebound test/ring seems very good too.

Just in the middle of making a 3 legged stand for it. Almost done, just adding some foot plates so I can fill it with sand, and a few other bits and bobs.

20170227_171707.jpg

20170301_174756.jpg

20170227_171610.jpg

Very nice! :)

Documenting the anvils I picked up on my trip. Here's the 135# Peter Wright. I am amazed how nice this one is for the age. It doesn't have the England stamp, so I'm figuring pre 1910. One edge looks COMPLETELY UNTOUCHED.  The "130" stamp is kinda odd, but people do strange things to their tools.

tmp_923-20170304_210501_Richtone(HDR)-2064742992.jpg

tmp_923-20170304_210528_Richtone(HDR)244705610.jpg

tmp_923-20170304_210514_Richtone(HDR)1467424430.jpg

On 3/5/2017 at 3:25 PM, D.C. said:

The "130" stamp is kinda odd, but people do strange things to their tools.

No kidding, I found this once I cleaned it up. 

"BUCKLEY" .... I think that's what it says. As in you've got Buckley's chance of getting this anvil back :P

20170301_095720.jpg

33 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

By you. or auction house?

Myself and partner. I'm slowly putting the list and pics together about 50 nice anvils from 50 to 500+ lbs. I will list the sale date in the tailgating section when ready.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice stand!  Did you glue it together?  I've built several from rough sawn oak that once was a horse trailer floor.  The scrapyard gave it to me as it was trash to them.  I bolted mine together using scrapped bolts from guardrail or utility poles and an extra long electrician's drill bit to reach end to end.  On a couple I also left the ones bracketing the ends of the anvil base a bit longer to help trap the anvil in place; but most just have the curved 2x6 pieces on the sides like yours.  

Now you can brand your smithy's name on it and decorate it with your touchmark as well---if it's treated wood DO NOT BREATH IN THE SMOKE WHEN DOING SO!!!!!

Mine are "rustic" to "extremely rustic" as I built a couple with the nice boards and then proceeded to build out to have a stand for all my class anvils with the condition of the boards going down hill...