I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Jhcc...The new vulcan is much quiter.

The setup is pretty solid...I'd like to build a tripod stand like you did a few months ago. (That's à nice one you've got)

I'll be removing a wall in my shop to expand to 20x10 versus 10x10 this summer...At that point hoping to have a tripod built & I'll mount securely to the floor.

I'm hoping I'll notice the biggest difference on 3/4"-1" bar...I'm so excited to try it out today.

Thanks Bruce

Wuts in the box, honey??

20170112_101237.jpg

Oooooohhh, pretty!

20170112_101352.jpg

I could lift it, but I won't.

20170112_122145.jpg

20170112_122158.jpg

20170112_122447.jpg

20170112_122509.jpg

20170112_122256.jpg

The last time I put an anvil up on forum, "Fred" got it. Never Again! It's in my truck, Chuck.

As a quality metric, I consider my new Partner to be in mint condition. Utter Perfection.

My grandfather's 1929, 143# Soderfors is still working outside of Hedley, Texas so this anvil carries a deep significance for me.

Just an anvil, right?

Robert Taylor

This is mine.  Just starting to get a setup going but I picked up this anvil by pure chance for $50.  It has a lot of rebound and a really good ring. It weighs in at about 100lb.  Not sure of the maker but it has an H stamped on the front of the base...i can't find any other markings.   Any help identifying would be great.

20170115_211644.jpg

On January 12, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Anachronist58 said:

I could lift it, but I won't.

20170112_122145.jpg

The last time I put an anvil up on forum, "Fred" got it. Never Again! It's in my truck, Chuck.

As a quality metric, I consider my new Partner to be in mint condition. Utter Perfection.

My grandfather's 1929, 143# Soderfors is still working outside of Hedley, Texas so this anvil carries a deep significance for me.

Just an anvil, right?

Robert Taylor

you needed a chain hoist to lift that light anvil?

OK Bubba (forgedinfire 123) -  I broke my back in two places when I was 15 and I got up and walked away. By age 29, I was experiencing.......

I shouldn't even be walking.

Never mind Brother, I have a great sense of humor :rolleyes:.

And I DID move from the tailgate to its pedestal. Five more pounds and I'd have to call the Neighbor. HE could lift it with one hand! :wacko:

Robert Taylor

It was suggested on the welding page that I post these to the show anvil page.  I read, learn, borrow, appreciate your posts and lurk quite a lot but rarely post.  The 2 below anvils are my weekly users.  The first is likely a Peter Wright and is 167lbs with almost no markings.  This 167 PW is in exceptional shape with only a slight sway in the face.    I can make out the W in SOLID WROUGHT is the only mark I can find on the PW. IMG_2874.JPG 

The second and all the remaining photos are a 203lb Trenton 1903 production and is my first large 200+lb anvil.  The Trenton was beaten nearly to death before I repaired it.  The heel was cracked in 2 places and nearly broken off, the face on far side (Horn left) was beaten a full inch down into the wrought.  The cutting table was completely hollowed out and rounded on both sides.  This TRENTON anvil was rough which is why I could afford it.  I ground, pre heated, and welded the edges to bring it back to function.  Disclaimer:  I would not recommend repairing an anvil, and I am encouraging NO one to do it.  This Trenton was all I had at the time and I not only wanted a functional anvil, I wanted to repair it. I likely REDUCED the collector monetary value of this anvil by repairing it.  

These 2 are my weekly users

anvil9.jpg

anvil 8.jpg

anvil7.jpg

anvil6.jpg

anvil5.jpg

anvil9.jpg

IMG_2508.JPG

anvil16.jpg

anvil17.jpg

anvil18.jpg

avnil.jpg

26 minutes ago, JHCC said:

What the blazes were they doing to the poor thing to mess up the saddle so badly? Gracious.

Out of curiosity, was there much delamination between the steel and the iron beyond the obvious chips? How is the rebound now?

Good question JHCC!  whatever he did he did it a whole lot of it!!!!.  That groove was not ground, it was pounded.  As far as the delamination in the face - I ground all of it out way back into the face until I found clean, uncracked  face steel.  The far side when fully gound out was horrible, and about an inch into the wrought.  It took an aweful lot of beads to build up.   Rebound is spot on at 90% for this anvil, even over my welds.  The Amtec 64 (hard face) rod was suppose to be 59RC but is softer than the original factory face. All my buildup was done with AMCTC Railtec. Hardface with AMTEC 64 but could not be more than 3 Beads Stacked.    I have put some nicks in my Weld beads over the months since the repair.  Amtec 64 rod must have a lot of nickel in it b/c it doesn't rust.  

NOTE:  ATTENTION!!!! I AM not suggesting nor recommending anyone repair an anvil.  Truthfully the welding rod for this job cost 1/2 as much as the anvil originally.  It was laborious job and took an awefully long time.  The results were NEVER guaranteed and I ran the risk of completely ruining this anvil.  Truthfully, even though the repair was completely successful,  I likely decreased the collector value of this anvil by repairing it.  

IMG_2487.JPG

IMG_2488.JPG

IMG_2490.JPG

anvil20.jpg

anvil21.jpg

anvil 12.jpg

anvil 14.jpg

Well, the good news is, in 100 years, those repairs will be antiques!

Thanks for the photos of the work in progress. I'll probably never attempt something like this myself (I'm no welder), but it's really interesting to see the process, nonetheless.

3 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

It's an using anvil not a collecting one so no problem!

Indeed it is Thomas!  I'll likely keep this one for the duration of my lifetime.  Function is perfectly fine on the repaired anvil.  I am careful not to do heavy sledge work on the previously cracked heel of the trenton.  I do not want to find the heel laying on the ground!   The below is a more recent photograph of the Trenton Repaired anvil.  Notice the weld beads and how they are a different color from the Factory Rought and the Tool Steel Face.  These repair weld beads do not rust.  

IMG_2967.JPG

Yup they make some rods that will work without the colour difference; but if it's working for you....Colour difference usually drops the resale price as the buyer can tell it was repaired but usually doesn't have a clue if it was done *right* or *wrong*.  Me I suspect old anvils with sharp edges just on principle! (and avoid cars with "salvage" titles...)

My copper mine Trenton was seriously abused by the maintenance crew at the mine---lovely flat face with random air arc gouging on it. It also had some crush damage on the edges; but I only had US fifty cents a pound in it and was willing to wait till an anvil repair day turned up, (several years and 1500 miles from where I bought it...) My first anvil over 400 pounds.