I Forge Iron

Thomas Powers ICU

TWISTEDWILLOW

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't personally involved, but some fellow divers were inspecting pipeline behind a lay barge in the Gulf of Mexico. They built a raw egg launcher out of pvc pipe, some fittings and a quarter-turn valve hooked up to their dive compressor. The critical part, they found was the wadding. It couldn't be too loose or too tight, but when they finally got it right they used the side of the lay barge for practice. They were pretty proud of themselves until the next time they pulled up alongside of the lay barge. The whole crew met them and hand-delivered a few cartons of eggs all over their equipment and deck.

On 12/14/2022 at 11:30 AM, Frosty said:

Eggs and hot sauce are always good if not a must. I like Franks Red Hot.

I made a wild blueberry-habanero sauce that goes good on eggs (my 5 year old brother agrees) if you ever come down from your frozen wasteland I might be convinced share;)

M.J.Lampert

Your 5 yro brother probably has a much higher tolerance for chiles than I do but I'd love to give it a taste.

Speaking of frozen wasteland it only looks that way when it's covered with snow and Christmas is white ENOUGH already! We got another 18" last night!

I swear the next plow truck I get is going to be a front end loader!

Frosty The Lucky.

My cousin just sent us a jar of her husband’s homemade chow chow, with a warning that the jalapeños were on the spicy side this year. 

(This is the same husband for whom this same cousin commissioned a “World War Z”-style “lobotomizer”:

F7FDE9AF-81CD-4E79-A532-517B35DCB882.thumb.jpeg.35bef0f49a4148682c502a9c61136bcd.jpeg)

17 hours ago, Scott NC said:

That sauce sounds like a good canidate for Vulcans Grill recipie write up, MJ.  

I need to tweak it some before I post it (i have 2 medium zip locks of habaneros in the freezer to make more with) then im gonna post a bunch of recipes I did this year

Billy, Look up World War Z a novel by Max Brooks, 2007.  There was a 2013 Brad Pitt film of the same name.  This pretty well started the mania about the Zombie Apocalypse.  The book is written as a history of the zombie outbreak which nearly ends civilization.  As usual, the book is MUCH better than the film.

Blacksmithing comes into it because it was discovered that only by destroying the brain of a zombie could you kill it.  A sort of pick axe was developed with which to hit zombies in the head to kill them with one blow.  Smiths periodically get asked to make such a tool.  Just in case.

GNM

Going to a motel today; too healthy to tie up a hospital bed.  Asked my wife for a LD80 serving of tiramisu to celebrate.  Didn't go over well....

My oncologist fairly upbeat; says  not worrying or trying to max out "abusive" therapy will probably have the best results.  So Chemo not advised...Now to start cutting back; the steroids do not help weight loss!   (Or pro ball jobs...)

Cut right to the quick why don't you Thomas. Beat me to the joke again. <sigh>

The Britts have had E tools that looked really handy in a fight but so have lots of other countries back probably before Rome. The one Roman entrenching tool image I saw was a pick and pointy hoe without hinge. 

Bayonets were open field weapons, an attempt to adapt the pike, the knife itself was and is used a lot and was probably better in hand in a trench than on a rifle once you were out of rounds. 

So, does WW Z call for a Z or an E-Z tool?

Frosty The Lucky.

If we're going to be posting this closely we should maybe establish a turn schedule? 

Getting out of the hospital will make things better, I'm uncomfortable in just the lobby and try not to look when driving past. Other than saving my life I've never enjoyed one, not even doing volunteer work with the church youth group. I had a ball visiting patients but I couldn't stand the hospitals. 

An upbeat oncologist sounds like a good thing and I concur you may now lay off the abusive treatments. Just so long as I get to keep abusing you publicly. :P

Yes, I believe Robert Service did write, "My Bayonet" but it's been a while since I read his work. 

Z-Tool it is Charles. Maybe if I come up with something easier to make and use I'll call it the "EZ Z tool!" :)

Frosty The Lucky.

I've never heard anything good about D handles and I've only made the mistake of buying one myself but I was maybe 12. Were I in the market today I like the E-tools with the saw edged blade.

Hmmm, E-Z for "Entrench Zombies Tool?" Maybe Z-E for "Zombie Entrenching Tool?" I wonder which would market better?

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, an intrenching tool can make an effective weapon at close quarters with the blade at 90 degrees to the handle.  However, that adjustable feature is there for its primary purpose, digging.  With the blade at 90 degrees to the handle it can be used as a mattock and is pretty effective at chopping through roots.  When you are digging a foxhole or even a prone shelter you are pretty motivated to do a good job and to get your vulnerable body protected from high speed bits of metal.

In Vietnam, in the bush, we'd dig prone shelters each night to sleep in, about 6+ feet long and about 18" deep and 2 or so feet wide.  If we thought there would be rain we might stetch a poncho over the hole.  In some places it was easy to dig but in others there were a lot of roots and rocks.  My time in the bush was during the dry season so we did not have to woory about the holes filling with water.

And any weapon like this is one of last resort.  Don't bring an intrenching tool to a gun fight unless that is all you have.

GNM