Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well George it’s kinda a long story but I’ll try to sum it up quick,

unlike all the usual blacksmithing junk I drag home while out barnstormin that I usually turn around an pass on

this time is a little more important to me,

years ago the company I worked for was goin outta business and try as I might applying to jobs an goin to interviews I could not land a job anywheres, every time there was another body just ahead or behind me that had one more feather in their had then I did

so as the clock ticked down and I saw there was no more time I opted to clear out my bank accounts and buy up all the fast movin parts and what machinery I could get, then I went in the hole for another upteen thousand dollars to buy out the rest

but I needed one more thing a service truck with a 1000 pound lift gate to help me pick up an deliver machines,

so….. I traded an sold off every last blacksmithing tool I had, so I could afford to get a good used rig like I needed,

This batch of junk a coal was my very first kit that I had put together, that is my very first anvil I ever found!!!

when the opportunity to retrieve my original junk presented itself to me a few weeks ago cost was not to be spared,

it’s not all really worth that much to anyone else but it means a lot to me to get it back 

to answer your question I traded a brand new commercial saw that I had purchased for $1450.00 bucks for this stuff an a few more loads,

Glad you were able to turn around all that and get your first anvil back. I feel your pain with some of that every time I toy with the idea of starting my own body shop and the idea of what I would need to do it. 

I'm not there yet but the prospect sounds better all the time. 

TW, that was a great opportunity.  As you say, you can't put a dollar amount on that.

There is something about tools that you have owned or have been used by someone in your family that is very special.  Some sort of spirit transference.  I find I work better with old tools than new.  Sometimes it sort of feels like I am channelling the former user(s).

My aunt passed away last year at the age of 103.  My cousin found my grandfather's (who I'm named after) tool box and a few tools in it and sent it to me.  I can't tell you how good it made me feel to touch and use it.  It has been sitting unused since he passed in 1953.  Some of my earliest memories are being in his shop with him.  I tend to take after him in the sense of liking to work with my hands.  My father barely knew which end of a hammer to hold.

So, excellent score.

GNM

2 hours ago, Daswulf said:

the prospect sounds better all the time.

Ya know Aric,

In a body shop, metal working, forming, shaping, ect… tools are a tax write off, a the really expensive ones can be depreciated over several years!!! just sayin ;)

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

Great feeling. 

John,

yes its a very awesome feeling!

This anvil was my most treasured possession at one time, now my family

I’m not rich by no means now days but back then I really didn’t make or have a lot of money when I bought it, at the time it seemed like a fortune when I bought it for $300 bucks 

I didn’t know diddly about blacksmithing at the time but I sure tried my hardest to setup a smithy, I was very proud of myself when I had a forge a blower a post vise an anvil! I thought I was eatin high on the hog!

it was a major blow for me to suck it up an to let go of my stuff at the time

So like I said before this particular load of junk may not have been worth it to a lot of folks an I didn’t really need it back, I’ve got plenty others, but it was a sense of accomplishment and a matter of pride to retrieve it for me

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

My first anvil was stolen----in Oklahoma too

That’s cause you lived in town somewhere! Shoulda moved to peavine youda still had it!

I’m the mayor here don’tcha know! I run a tight ship! Ain’t no anvil thieves in peavine! 

Besides you ain’t fooling no one!!! We all know you done bought sold a traded a truck load of anvils by the time you turned two!!! :P

George,

im glad to hear you got hold of your grandfathers tools!

I imagine that was worth a small fortune to you,

I’ve inherited some of my grandparents an great grandparents odds and ends that I’ve set aside for Max when the time comes for me to pass it on to him

My wife and I drove out to Peavine Oklahoma to visit TwistedWillow and do a trade. I picked up a blower for him in Kansas and he traded it for an anvil. I am now the proud owner of a 109lb Peter Wright anvil. I also bought a post vice from him and then he piled me up with all sorts of other stuff. 

I came home with almost as much as I could fit into my wife's Kia Forte Hatchback. There was a little room for more but I figured I could always come back for another visit and get more junk, lol

Anvil and something to possibly use as a forge hood if I decide to set up inside the shed:

received_1065791584096315.thumb.jpeg.ac2a1bd4b5857171dee9c72c541cc8c4.jpeg

Post vice and parking pole and thick round plate to mount it to:

received_884094262529375.thumb.jpeg.348261c18625f36558234f8259b7dedd.jpeg

Coal, stuff to make tools with, and stuff to play with

received_1519344721829935.thumb.jpeg.4ac55ce3e8bb7db563da09db961eacff.jpeg

received_2184325868406482.thumb.jpeg.3e90acbec6079f49ad5a588c17fe8d2f.jpeg

This puts a big smile on my face Billy, you've been talking about getting it back for a while now. I have a little bit from my Grandparents, my Grandfather's gold pocket watches, One is for sure it has his name engraved in it. He was a Federal Superior judge who worked the circuit for I don't know how long. He and Mom were the only ones in my family that didn't get hammered hard by the depression.  

I think the Depression ate most old family artefacts with a very few exceptions like the pocket watches and a few pictures. 

There are a couple few things I'd like to reclaim from my earlier days, a couple of my first vehicles and one of the spinning lathes I worked at would be cool. I'd like to put a spinning lathe to work.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Shainarue said:

There was a little room for more but I figured I could always come back for another visit and get more junk, lol

Lol come on back down anytime a if ya can bring a ol pickup truck!
GVRW is only a suggestion! :rolleyes: We will load that dude up! 

I hope ya get some good use outta that stuff, I can’t wait to see the new vise stand you build!

Just got back from an auction, couldn’t afford to touch the anvil, $1300 bucks for a 200 pound Peter Wright:rolleyes:

Beat up tongs $30-$45 a piece, there was some nice hardy tooling but it sold from $30 up to $60 a piece! broken post vises went around $200, broken blower brought $200, fullers flatters top swages went $30-$40 a pop,

All I ended up buying a champion rivet forge, a 65 pound saltfork swage block a forge hood, and a small pile of top tooling, an I spent way to much on that stuff,

i gave $180 for the swage block,

I figured that was as a fair deal since they sell new for $250 plus tax an shipping, 

$190 for the champion rivet forge, 

$30 for the forge hood, looks like it got built and never used, I’ll get pics later it’s still in the truck

$30 for a atha made top swage,

$27 for pile of top tools, atha double peen, a couple fullers, ball peen, an some weird hammer I have no clue,

there was a steam engine there I wanted an it sold cheap under $400, but I didn’t really wanna have to move that thing, and I didn’t bring any straps or chains

42D0A40A-D8EC-4EB8-8486-7AE08B217C19.jpeg

70F38597-4655-4A6A-8EC4-4F62CE5411A1.jpeg

89ED01DE-43B5-4610-B4FF-734875111D7D.jpeg

8B9A30E0-7FB7-4117-9646-6DA7E8EC0903.jpeg

Thanks arkie,

yeah here lately these auctions have been stupid high on some stuff an cheap as dirt on other stuff,

here’s the hood I picked up at the sale, back hurts an it’s raining so I ain’t unloading it today but I thought I’d get some pics,

looks like it’s made from 1/8” or 10 GA, 41” tall, 32” wide, 12” deep,

intake is 12”x12” and exhaust is 10”

really good looking welds and it doesn’t look like it’s been used much if any, I figured it was worth the $30 bucks

Randy, thanks I was wondering, I’ll get a closer picture here in a few of that weird little hammer,

4DBD37DF-FBFF-4121-B275-58333C0F7CC8.jpeg

BB027F7F-C655-4E4E-AB81-79ECC65E8D34.jpeg

0B985AAC-064C-4711-94B0-38E598AEC955.jpeg

71197224-0160-4F06-948E-8F27AD445FA5.jpeg

28FBEDD7-81E8-4E2C-A98F-E83C74EEB671.jpeg

7BCB28F6-B52E-4C15-9C76-2CB64D1B850D.jpeg