Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Howdy Thomas!

I’m glad y’all made it back safe and sound, I’ve been wondering since y’all pulled out yesterday how that fan was gonna do riding down I40

it was a good visit im glad you stopped by an brought your band of southwestern blacksmiths! wish y’all had more time to visit while y’all was passin through

It was fun strapping that fan on top of the pile in the back of the pickup we were riding on.  I ended up buying an extra tank of gasoline to make up for the decrease in MPG.  Rode  nice; of course the 500 pounds of coal we picked up at Quad-State probably helped stabilize the ride a bit...

Oh that’s a bummer Rowan’s is a nice place I didn’t know they were closed yesterday, I had a lunch meeting there today and ate way to much:ph34r: 

Okie Joes BBQ is pretty good too, im glad y’all enjoyed it, 

you an your compadres were lookin like y’all needed a good set down an a bite to eat, 

im still tryin to figure out what kinda work these crazy lookin 3 finger tongs you brought are for? :huh: Lol

95095016-4F7E-4996-9EE7-A8ACB29473EE.thumb.jpeg.201516e8ef59e511f0962560008fcf55.jpeg

Got a mail call yesterday from an eBay seller, with a shiny new aluminum shop yardstick to replace the one my son keeps borrowing. On seeing what arrived, I decided to give that one to him, and keep the old one for me. (Nothing wrong with it; the old one is just a bit more robust.)

Older ones feel so much better. I got an oldish stainless steel one I keep in my apron. Both metric and imperial, which is convenient. Fun thing we call this a "duimstok" or thumbstick, but one "duim" is roughly equal to an inch when talking about it as a measuring unit. Pipes are often still sold with this measuring unit as the standard, i.e. 3 duims pipe is around 76.3 mm I.D..

I still hold to the ones that have the markings deeply struck into the metal.  The "painted on the surface" ones have such a short lifespan when used around a real shop!

I have found a number of old carpenters squares at the scrapyard that I use  my shear to cut into hook rules. (Except for the hand struck one that is a wall hanger!)

Here's a great old piece of iron I won at an auction for $40.

Its a Champion, but I haven't looked for the model number yet.

My twin girls are checking it out.

I hope to get it up and running, and cleaned up, but don't ever plan to make it shiny and paint it.

I'll likely get a piece of 1/2" plate plasma cut into a nice table for it.

Our young boys are really into Lego gears right now, and this will be a great homeschool project too!

DSCN7443.JPG

My new to me fan is 54" on a side and 16" thick.  The propeller is about 48" across.  My shop has close to a dozen 220 VAC plugs in it spread over several circuits.  Unfortunately the two places we have thought of putting the fan are not near those outlets.  If I put it in the eves there is an easy route from the breaker box to the outlet and I have an extra 220 breaker to hand.