I Forge Iron

It followed me home

John, good book.  I have constructed several of the sundials mentioned using the Dover edition.  I have a friend who calibrated the side of his barn so that the shadow of the eaves would act as a sundial.  Don't forget the adjustment from solar time to Standard or Daylight Savings time.  IIRC it is about +20 minutes from solar time to Mountain Time here.

GNM

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My copy of Moxon's "Mechanick Exercises"  includes a section "Mechanick Dyalling shewing how to draw a true Sun-Dyal on any given plane, however scituated; only with the help of a straight ruler and a pair of compasses, and without any arithmetical calculations."   I may have to see about putting one on my shop door.

I think putting a copy of Moxon's directions on the floor would be more entertaining. 

The Boy Scout Manual has or had directions for all sorts of cool stuff like navigation, making sundials, etc. using nothing but a wrist watch, stick, weight, string and the sun. 

Frosty The Lucky

Technically they haven’t “followed me home” yet, but they should arrive soon. Copper picks from Billy Helton. I am thinking later I may take him a few silver quarters to see what he can find to do with them for me as picks.

Billy is primarily a bladesmith, but in the last few months has begun learning how to do engraving. He literally (and I truly mean literally) went from looking like stuff your kids would draw and you would post on your fridge to real quality work.

I first met him when I bought a leg vise from him on Facebook Marketplace. I was pretty surprised a few weeks later when I was surfing the net and found he was actually pretty well known and been on the very first episode of Forged in Fire. He had seemed like just a normal guy like me, but with a really cool shop. (I’ve only seen one or two episodes of the show.)

799C1998-34BB-4D70-995C-DC8C4B70DE27.jpeg

On 9/17/2022 at 4:16 PM, JHCC said:

Eat your heart out, Brian May and your sixpence!

Exactly. Or in my case, like Billy Gibbons and his silver peso. 

I had worried copper might be a little too hard, but then I read that coin silver, being only 90% silver has the same, or nearly so, hardness as copper. Brian May is reportedly able to change his sound just by altering how he holds the coin. 

Another mail call today on a couple of old dividers and calipers. Some larger to use during forging, some smaller for layout of smaller stuff, and some nice round pointed for woodworking. Very happy on the deal! Paid 40 euros shipped for the lot! 

IMG_20220923_170232.thumb.jpg.09a5e956ee324edbf056bbe8701a02a1.jpg

IMG_20220923_170222.thumb.jpg.890a108fde07f00bd672f2672b0b2ea2.jpg

~Jobtiel

followed me home from an estate sale----day one sold all the big equipment----this was day 3 and im guessing it was either overlooked or unwanted as im sure they went with the lathe/mill/shaper---4 wooden crates w apx 100 blocks, spacers, forms, parts n pieces-----i was the only bidder !----- my machinist blocks go to 2/4/24!!-----tried to get buyers name from auctioneer to perhaps set up a "private sale"-----no luck so ive got a pile !!

20220921_095322.jpg